Royal Icing Consistency

Baking By heidinamba Updated 27 Apr 2006 , 6:45am by MissBaritone

heidinamba Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heidinamba Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 5:01pm
post #1 of 6

How can you judge the correct consistency of royal icing for piping stiff flowers? Is there a test? Do you have to use a pastry bag or can you use the squeeze bottles that have the interchangable tip? How much pressure do you have to apply to squeeze out the icing? It seems that since the icing must be somewhat stiff, that it would diffiuclt to squeeze out. I have not actually made flowers yet, but I want to start practicing.

5 replies
cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 5:05pm
post #2 of 6

Just take your spatula and pull up some of the icing. If the icing folds over then it is too thin. It should stand up pretty straight!!!!!!!. The icing doesn't have to be super stiff but it does need to be stiff enough so that when you pipe your flowers you can still see the petal's shape and that it is crisp!!!

You will have to use firm pressure so I hope you have a good grip!!!!!!

Amy

Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 5:06pm
post #3 of 6

There is a test that has to do with using a spoon or a spatula and dipping it in the royal icing, letting a drop fall back into the batch, and counting how long it takes for the rings to clear away; i think for really thin, it has to be less than 10 seconds.

cakemommy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakemommy Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 5:08pm
post #4 of 6

Reread here!!! I would definately us a pastry bag. You will have better control over the pressure you apply to make your flowers. Make sure you keep a damp cloth near by to cover your bowl and to stick the tip in so the icing won't harden when not in use. Keep a tooth pick or a pin or something nearby incase that happens and you can just poke the hole of the tip and then squeeze out a little to get rid of the hardened icing.

Amy

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 26 Apr 2006 , 10:42pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimanalynn

There is a test that has to do with using a spoon or a spatula and dipping it in the royal icing, letting a drop fall back into the batch, and counting how long it takes for the rings to clear away; i think for really thin, it has to be less than 10 seconds.

This is a test for color-flow or run out sugar designs. This is not for stiff consistancy flowers.

MissBaritone Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissBaritone Posted 27 Apr 2006 , 6:45am
post #6 of 6

There is an easy way to check if your icing is the right consistency. Simply touch the icing with the back of a teaspoon then pull it up sharply so a peak is formed

If the peak disappears back into the icing it's too thin
If the peak bends over at the top it's the correct consistency for coating
If the peak holds for a couple of seconds then bends it's the right consistency for piping lines, shells etc.
If the peak stays upright it's the right consistency for pipng flowers

In all cases make sure the icing is really well mixed

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%