Help! Too Much Butter In Cake

Decorating By WebDiva Updated 13 Sep 2018 , 6:43pm by SandraSmiley

WebDiva Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WebDiva Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:44am
post #1 of 21

I was making 2 cakes tonight. I took out 4 sticks of butter. You can probably see where this is going.

I did the one batter (Toba Garrett's Moist Yellow cake) and accidentally added ALL of the butter instead of just 2 sticks. I didn't realize it until I went to start on the other cake and went looking for my butter. The first cake was already in the oven.

It's for my goddaughter's birthday party on Saturday.

I don't have the energy to redo this. Have I completely ruined it? I think my only other option at this point would be to doctor up a boxed cake. I just don't have the energy to do another from scratch.

Honestly my mind is somewhere else the last couple of days which is how I made such a huge mistake.

Any thoughts? Suggestions? Even if it's to tell me to suck it up and make a boxed cake...lol

20 replies
mizshelli Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mizshelli Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 12:46am
post #2 of 21

It's going to be VERY moist, but the only other problem I see is it may fall apart after it cools. I had one do that to me. Only way to tell is after it comes out........otherwise....
Suck it up and make a boxed cake icon_biggrin.gif

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 4:03am
post #3 of 21

Yes. The effect of fat in a recipe is to shorten the gluten strands so you may have a workability issue, but it shold definitely be tender icon_smile.gif

WebDiva Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 1:32pm
post #4 of 21

Ok, thanks. The cake seemed kind of ok, but I did notice that it was starting to crack a little as I was handling it. Did I mention that it is the base for a 2 tier buttercream iced cake? I wonder if it will hold up.

edited to add...I did take a little taste and it was very buttery...lolol...I have to ask my husband to try it cuz my taste buds are off right now.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 21

As long as you dowel it, it should hold up fine.

WebDiva Posted 19 Apr 2007 , 11:16pm
post #6 of 21

Ok great! DH said it tasted really good...lol. icon_smile.gif

Chloezee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chloezee Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 3:02pm
post #7 of 21

Oops I know these posts appeared a century ago, but have to say I BET THAT CAKE WAS FANTASTIC!!!!

The secret to life is BUTTER

Brookebakescake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brookebakescake Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 4:08pm
post #8 of 21

Lol I was gonna say the same thing!!!

Chloezee Posted 12 Oct 2015 , 5:38pm
post #9 of 21

Well hello Brookebakescake - we're the only 2 left in the 21st century ;))))) Bet you know how to cook and bake. Have you noticed how people persist in using Margarine... oh I find that so sad, but I guess each to his own and the world has GOT to keep thriving.  Thanks for responding

JaneH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneH Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 12:02am
post #10 of 21

I'm so thankful I found this forum! I just accidentally doubled the butter in a lemon pound cake which is now in the oven. It's for a funeral, so I'm planning to slice it to take it, so appearance isn't an issue as long as it isn't terrible! The batter seemed fine so we'll see in an hour and 15 minutes!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 9:40pm
post #11 of 21

How great that this very old thread came up ust in time for you JaneH :)  

I'm interested to know how your cake turned out?  A pound cake so buttery should taste wonderful :)

JaneH Posted 12 Dec 2016 , 11:21pm
post #12 of 21

It was absolutely fabulous!! I took it to a funeral reception and I made sure to snag the leftovers to take home!! I need to mess up more often! LOL

Chloezee Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 7:52am
post #13 of 21

YAY!!! we all rooted for you JaneH. Maybe don't DOUBLE it next time, if you want neat dense slices - but I so wish I could have some of it right now!!

JaneH Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 12:55pm
post #14 of 21

Exactly! My brain fog was so intense! We have adopted a friend's elderly dog, which has been a challenge and with all the activities over the holidays, I have been on sensory overload.   Next time, maybe just a little more butter! lol

Chloezee Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 6:05pm
post #15 of 21

ha ha ha ha NOooooo as much as i love it. Put the right amount in - oh drat - don't then. I preaching nonsense to the choir here. Cheers JaneH. I'm going to bake a humingbird cake this weekend. And nope, EYE ;) don't only use oil. Half oil and half butter. Then I use old fashioned ERMINE icing. Only just discovered it.

JaneH Posted 13 Dec 2016 , 7:08pm
post #16 of 21

Oh wow!! That sounds terrific!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 12 Sep 2018 , 7:20pm
post #17 of 21

Well, leave it to Cake Central to have all the answers!  I just tried a new recipe for a Key Lime Pound cake and I had the butter for both the cake and the icing coming to room temp.  When mixing the cake, like a doofus I put in all three sticks instead of two.  The cake is in the oven right now.  I will let you know how it turns out.  Like I told my husband, glad it was butter and not oil!

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Sep 2018 , 10:30pm
post #18 of 21

Just for the record, the cake came out fine, tastes good, has a nice texture and is not crumbly.  Dodged a bullet that time, lol.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 13 Sep 2018 , 1:25am
post #19 of 21

good save thumbsup

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 13 Sep 2018 , 3:44pm
post #20 of 21

nothing like a good rich butter cake.  It rarely even needs frosting.  Key lime pie is pure heaven, so key lime pound cake must be delicious!!!

SandraSmiley Posted 13 Sep 2018 , 6:43pm
post #21 of 21

It is good, MBalaska.  I have another Key Lime Pound Cake that I think I prefer.  I bake it in a bundt pan and it has a glaze instead of frosting.  I don't know how different the cake would have been with one less stick of butter, but I was just happy that it wasn't ruined!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%