Whimsical Bakehouse Recipes Questions

Baking By trombonekaren Updated 6 Jul 2006 , 2:37am by heathercarnold

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 1:59am
post #1 of 15

What a beautiful book! Has anyone tried the cookies and cream filling? How long do we think this can sit at room temp? I am concerned both about food safety and the possibilty that it will melt/deflate and the cake will sink. In the book, they say it is a sturdy filling...does the sugar keep the cream whipped?

I am also wondering about the house buttercream - I have heard some say it is great and some say it won't hold up well. Any difinitive opinions? Thanks!!

14 replies
Kimanalynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimanalynn Posted 25 Apr 2006 , 4:31pm
post #2 of 15

I keep hearing about the Whimsical Bakehouse, but I haven't seen any recipes for it; anyone willing to share?

kaydenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaydenmom Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:13pm
post #3 of 15

I just completed a cake using the Whimsical Bakehouse buttercrem recipe... here's what i found. The buttercream tastes very buttery, like eating a stick of butter w/sugar on it, also, I relized too late it should not be used under fondant! Although the book says it can keep for two weeks, mine seperated overnight, and I had chunky buttercream even after re-whipping it. Maybe I just had a bad experience, but I think I will leave it alone.

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:17pm
post #4 of 15

the cookies and cream filling is beyond yummy - can't tell you how long it will keep. I have used it in 2 different cakes and asked the customer to keep it in the fridge if it was going to be a while before serving - didn't get any complaints.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 1 May 2006 , 10:22pm
post #5 of 15

I use the WBH house BC exclusively for all my cakes.My customers prefer it to regular BC.It holds up very well as it is primarily a shortening based icing and is non-crusting and can be very unforgiving if you make a mistake.Many people do not like the greasy feeling on the roof of their mouth however if you use high ratio shortening it decreases that feeling.I find it very easy to work with and has a light fluffy,non sweet taste.

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 2 May 2006 , 3:40am
post #6 of 15

I made the house buttercream myself over the weekend, and I hated it at first. It was grainy - so I put it in the fridge, figuring I would try to add something to it later and maybe save it. I needed some extra icing for some cupcakes yesterday and I took it out. It was great!! I guess all the sugar dissolved overnight - it was very good! Letting it sit really made a difference.

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 2 May 2006 , 3:57am
post #7 of 15

I love the whimsical bakehouse as a filling in my chocolate cakes. It reminds me of a ho-ho or something. I think the last time I made it I kept it at room temp. It didn't have a chance to go bad!! I have used it under fondant and didn't have any problems.

kaydenmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kaydenmom Posted 2 May 2006 , 4:56am
post #8 of 15

Okay, I just re-read your post, and i responded about the real buttercream recipe, not the house buttercream... sorry! I made that as well, and found it to be very light and fluffy, but with a strong crisco-y taste. Hope this helps more!

eryka1842 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eryka1842 Posted 8 May 2006 , 10:11pm
post #9 of 15

I just made a WBH cake - Golden Butter Cake, Cookies and Cream filling, Kaye's Buttercream. The cake itself was great, the filling was AWESOME, the buttercream - well. For starter's all you could hear was crunching noises when I added the sugar syrup, then it all started overflowing my bowl....as I switched out bowls I noticed that the syrup had started to cook my eggs to my beaters. Once I finally got the bowls switched out I had one big ring of hardened sugar around the bottom of my mixer bowl. I don't know if it's just beacuse I'm not used to it or what, but the IMBC taste like a big ole hunk of butter. Next time I'll try the House Buttercream.

Like I said though, the cake and filling were great. I will definitely be using more recipes from this book.

cindww Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindww Posted 8 May 2006 , 10:27pm
post #10 of 15

I have not yet tried the buttercream, but have made the cookies and cream filling several times. I made it in my 2 tier butterfly and the cake sat for several days (at least 3, probably more) before I finally cut it to eat it. The filling was still there, but I probably could have put more in. It still tasted delicious, though. Hope this helps.
I wouldn't recommend leaving it to sit out since it is made from cream.

Cindy

KarenOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KarenOR Posted 9 May 2006 , 11:52pm
post #11 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by eryka1842

I just made a WBH cake - Golden Butter Cake, Cookies and Cream filling, Kaye's Buttercream. The cake itself was great, the filling was AWESOME, the buttercream - well. For starter's all you could hear was crunching noises when I added the sugar syrup, then it all started overflowing my bowl....as I switched out bowls I noticed that the syrup had started to cook my eggs to my beaters. Once I finally got the bowls switched out I had one big ring of hardened sugar around the bottom of my mixer bowl. I don't know if it's just beacuse I'm not used to it or what, but the IMBC taste like a big ole hunk of butter. Next time I'll try the House Buttercream.

Like I said though, the cake and filling were great. I will definitely be using more recipes from this book.

That's exactly what happened to mine! I didnt' even try again. I just gave up and did a different one.

DeniseRoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseRoy Posted 10 May 2006 , 11:55am
post #12 of 15

The cookie and cream filling sounds delish could someone share there recipe I would love to try it.
Thanks

cakecre8tor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecre8tor Posted 10 May 2006 , 12:03pm
post #13 of 15

I have used the cookies and cream filling several times and it is very yummy. I tried the Kayes buttercream and was not impressed at all. I have also made the chocoalte chip pound cake and the lemon ginger cream cheese pound cake - both got major raves.

Cookies and Cream filling:

In the bowl of an electric mixer at high speed whip until stiff:
2 1/2 cups of heavy cream
1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

gently fold in:
20 chocolate sandwich cookies like oreos - crushed into medium pieces

yields 6 cups!

Enjoy!

Rebekka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rebekka Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:23am
post #14 of 15

I did the grand marnier cheescake with the orange cookie crust and candied orange peel....HOLY HEAVEN! I also added a chocolate glaze. Best cheesecake ever.
LL

heathercarnold Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heathercarnold Posted 6 Jul 2006 , 2:37am
post #15 of 15

If you are worried about the cookies and cream filling you can add a little gelatin into your whipping cream and it will help it keep it's shapes.

As for the bad experiences with the sugar syrup in your buttercream, your sugar was cooked too far, past the soft ball stage which caused the crunching and the eggs got scrambles because you added the syrup too quickly. It needs to be added very slowly and a small amount at first to help raise the temp of the eggs.

I've used the real buttercream recipe with less butter then called for and i love it, used in under fondant for the 4th and it worked great, never had any issues with it!

Hope this helps some..

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%