Satin Ribbon On Buttercream

Decorating By AgentCakeBaker Updated 2 May 2005 , 2:24pm by AgentCakeBaker

AgentCakeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AgentCakeBaker Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 7:24pm
post #1 of 16

How well does satin ribbon hold up on buttercream icing?

I want to place a deep red satin ribbon on the bottom border of a bridal shower cake. Will this work?

15 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 7:34pm
post #2 of 16

maybe

test to make sure......after your frosting has crusted put some ribbon on it and leave overnight if possible ....no dark grease spots then it will work.

depends on YOUR frosting, the heat, and the ribbon.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 10:46pm
post #3 of 16

I've also read that if you double the ribbon, less chance of grease spots!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 16

I'll have to do a test run to see if the ribbon will look o.k. on the cake. Thanks guys!

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 16

Hi Agent Cake! I have read that putting some Saran on the back side of the ribbon, or maybe it went on the cake before the ribbon, would protect it. Also, I just got a strip of clear plastic band that I ordered from Sugarcraft.com that would be great for this (a yard was .25), evidently it comes in lots of widths and bakeries use it to put around cakes with fillings and this helps keep them in until the cake is served, so you might be able to talk a bakery out of enough for a cake.

I have a video on using the non-dairy whipped icing that the decorator uses these strips to smooth and edge the icing, claims it makes it "as smooth as fondant". That was why I bought the strip to try, but it sure would be good for the ribbon too.

Janice

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 4:03pm
post #6 of 16

Hey Janice,
give us an update once you try it out. I want to know if it works!

AgentCakeBaker Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 4:17pm
post #7 of 16

Thanks Janice! I'll have to try this!

veejaytx Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 4:36pm
post #8 of 16

Okay, I'll do that! I got this video from eBay, and it is pretty good, but he (the decorator from Merritt's Bakery) puts enough icing on for two cakes and uses this plastic strip (he calls it a "belly band") to round off the edges to make it look like one of those round bottom pans even when you have the regular flat pans. No crumbcoating here, the icing is so thick a crumb couldn't get through it if it wanted to! It did make me curious enough to buy a piece to try it, but it might be a better use to put it with some ribbon! LOL Janice

AgentCakeBaker Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 6:04pm
post #9 of 16

Janice
I can't find the clear plastic band on sugarcraft.

What category is it under?

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 6:23pm
post #10 of 16

wy would it leave grease spots?? Im new. help me!! hehe

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 1 May 2005 , 6:24pm
post #11 of 16

answereing greese question:
it would leave greese spots becaues the icing contains crisco and possibly butter, both of which are greasy. also, if you make a cake and put in on a cakeboard(cardboard) it will have greese spots there too, so cover your cardboard with alum. foil or something.
melody

veejaytx Posted 1 May 2005 , 6:51pm
post #12 of 16

AgentCakeBaker, sorry I didn't see this yesterday.
They are called Klear Band and I finally found them again, under Tools & Equipment on the menu on the left side, on that page under Tools & Misc. This is one thing I don't like about Sugarcraft.com it usually a hunting expedition to find what you want! Janice

veejaytx Posted 1 May 2005 , 6:54pm
post #13 of 16

Melody, I'm glad you had the patience to answer that question, I didn't! Janice

gotcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gotcake Posted 2 May 2005 , 2:41am
post #14 of 16

Yes and they have the best price too! Just click...
http://www.sugarcraft.com/catalog/candies/candypage.htm#klearband

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 2 May 2005 , 5:41am
post #15 of 16

Just wanted to say that of all of the types of ribbon you can put on a cake, most satin ribbon is the worst for grease spotting. Of course the satin ribbons are all made of a variety of different textiles, so it can vary. You can take a sheet of waxed paper, an old cloth over it and underneath it and iron the ribbon with the down side on top of the waxed paper, at a low heat. The wax from the paper generally will stop grease from the icing from coming through. Some folks use a type of iron on interfacing or seam binding strip that they iron onto the ribbon back or glue a strip of plastic or Mylar to the back of the satin.
Personally I test a small piece of ribbon on a blob of icing overnight to see how it handles the grease.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

AgentCakeBaker Posted 2 May 2005 , 2:24pm
post #16 of 16

Thanks guys! I found the klear band.

Although I may try Squirrelly Cakes method since I already have those items available.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%