Hot Hands!!!

Decorating By mochaboi Updated 3 May 2005 , 9:33pm by KayDay

mochaboi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mochaboi Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 6:46pm
post #1 of 6

Hey all...I'm having another dilemma. I have noticed that I get hot hands, and while decorating, my bag of medium icing quickly becomes a bag of thin.. icon_sad.gif ...My solution to this so far has been to stick the bag in the freezer for a short time, and keeping a bucket of ice next to me, but it's so time consuming..Does anyone else have this issue, and if so, what are some of your remedies? Thanks!

5 replies
msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 8:14pm
post #2 of 6

because of this I stopped using pastry bags and started using parchment triangles Why? because I do not put as much in the bag so it does not get hot. The problem with this? I am reloading more frequently and the cost of the parchment triangles adds up but it does save me from washing bags.

tcturtleshell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tcturtleshell Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 3:15am
post #3 of 6

I totally agree with msmeg! I use parchment bags. I have very hot hands. I do the same thing she does. I won't go back to plastic bags. You can decorate faster w/ parchment bags because you don't have to keep pushing the icing down while decorating. Less mess! It's a lot easier to me.

Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 1 May 2005 , 5:52am
post #4 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochaboi

Hey all...I'm having another dilemma. I have noticed that I get hot hands, and while decorating, my bag of medium icing quickly becomes a bag of thin.. icon_sad.gif ...My solution to this so far has been to stick the bag in the freezer for a short time, and keeping a bucket of ice next to me, but it's so time consuming..Does anyone else have this issue, and if so, what are some of your remedies? Thanks!

I have this problem big time! I switched from an all butter recipe to one that is half shortening. I make all my icing thicker than it has to be and I overfill my bags. I put most of my pressure up at the top of my bag so when I overfill, I can get a whole cake decorated without stopping to put the bag in the fridge since the BC that melts is at the top of the bag and usually by the time that reaches the bottom...I'm done.

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 1 May 2005 , 3:32pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by mochaboi

I too have hot hands and I use the parchment bags and have found them to be a lot better... The other thing you can try is to wear a glove on that hand when decorating.

KayDay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KayDay Posted 3 May 2005 , 9:33pm
post #6 of 6

Maybe you could make up two large bags at the beginning, then while one is cooling in the fridge you could us the other and alternate, so you dont have to wait?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%