Cooking A 12 X 18 Sheet Pan Cake

Decorating By BakerJoe Updated 18 Apr 2007 , 3:24pm by cambo

BakerJoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerJoe Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:40am
post #1 of 16

This is my first try at cooking this large of a sheet cake. Any tips? How many boxes of cake mix does this take? How long to cook? I saw someone mentioned something about inserting metal flower holders into the cake -- does anyone know what that is for? All your comments and suggestions are much appreciated. Thanks. icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:47am
post #2 of 16

the pan take 14 cups of batter according to Wilton.

so, if one mix makes about 4.5 - 5 cups -- then 3 mixes.

can use extender recipe ( http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-3233-1-Extender-Cake-Recipe-2.html ) which turns one mix into 6.5 to 7 cups then only 2 mixes.

cook until done in 325 oven (springs back when pressed, smells "right", golden brown, and toothpick inserted comes out clean -- test several places)

flower nail (well greased -- flat head to bottom of pan) acts as a heating core to help center bake as fast as edges do so don't have done sides and undercooked middle. also helps to keep cake from getting a hump (dome). for this size use 2 nails.

HTH

-----
and if it hasn't been said before --> WELCOME!

BakerJoe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerJoe Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:04am
post #3 of 16

Many thank you's! You answered all my questions!

brilandken Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brilandken Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:16am
post #4 of 16

I always wondered how to get the 12x18 to bake more evenly. I will have to try the flower nail trick next time.

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:17am
post #5 of 16

aint Doug the best! Welcome!

thecakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaven Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:19am
post #6 of 16

I do this too. Imagine your pan is a foot ball field. Place one inverted flower nail at the 33 yard line and one at the 66 yard line. Works like a charm!

anku Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
anku Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:21am
post #7 of 16

just wanted to know about the flower nail acting as a heating core. For a 12X3" pan ....can I use just one flower nail or do I need 2.
Also, I have a heating core from my wonder mold pan...can I use it as a heating core for round pans?

Thanks

lilthorner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilthorner Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:24am
post #8 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecakemaven

I do this too. Imagine your pan is a foot ball field. Place one inverted flower nail at the 33 yard line and one at the 66 yard line. Works like a charm!

Hi Trish! fancy seeing u here!

cakesksa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesksa Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:31am
post #9 of 16

Hello,

You can't really use the wondermold core for a regular pan because there's no way to get it to stand-up. For 12x3 one nail is probably fine, but when in doubt add an extra nail, it won't hurt anything. Just remember, you can't level a cake while still in the pan if you are using a nail (I always forget that part because I don't level in the pan very often!).

Julie icon_smile.gif

AngiesIdea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AngiesIdea Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:39am
post #10 of 16

I was going to make the same inquiry for a cake that I'm doing this weekend? I swear you guys rock! Now, I'm thinking of filling mine. Is that a death sentence? Any suggestions of making a bit easier?

thecakemaven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecakemaven Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 4:52am
post #11 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by lilthorner

Hi Trish! fancy seeing u here!

Hi Samele,
I'm not around as much these days, but I try to drop in when I can. I'm very busy with filming these days, and also expecting our third and final baby in October icon_wink.gif

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 10:57am
post #12 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by AngiesIdea

I was going to make the same inquiry for a cake that I'm doing this weekend? I swear you guys rock! Now, I'm thinking of filling mine. Is that a death sentence? Any suggestions of making a bit easier?

I do it all the time (gotta have the extra icing fix!)

just use a large cookie sheet dusted w/ powdered sugar or a large cakeboard to slip between layers and lift off the top in one piece.

tomsmom245 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tomsmom245 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 12:41pm
post #13 of 16

I use a little more than 3 DH mixes. After my disaster with this pan yesterday, I recommend using at least 3 flower nail to get the middle to cook...I ruined one yesterday b/c I only used 1 nail in the middle icon_sad.gif

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 1:35pm
post #14 of 16

I've experimented w/ 3 mixes, but the corners do not rise up above the pan....so I mix 4 mixes and use most of them....and make cupcakes with the leftover! You could probably use 3 mixes and use the cake mix extender recipe!

I also use bake-even strips...have never used a flower nail in any of my larger cakes and they bake fine and rise very even!

aandecakedesign Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aandecakedesign Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:38pm
post #15 of 16

hi everyone, I usually use 4 cake mixes.. 2 van and 2 choc. cause most people want 1/2 & 1/2. side by side. Ive never used a nail or bake strip. I bake at 350 for 1hour. comes out great every time.

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:24pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by aandecake

hi everyone, I usually use 4 cake mixes.. 2 van and 2 choc. cause most people want 1/2 & 1/2. side by side. Ive never used a nail or bake strip. I bake at 350 for 1hour. comes out great every time.

Ditto exactly (except for the bake strips)!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%