Can I Use This For Sure?

Decorating By flayvurdfun Updated 3 May 2005 , 6:49pm by SquirrellyCakes

flayvurdfun Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flayvurdfun Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 2:31pm
post #1 of 13

OK, can I use this product on buttercream frosting,like I think you can? I have never used this myself so I dont know for sure
http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=BA17880D-802D-F658-09B3D5CAB5B536C6

I am hoping if I order this this gets here before I need it...last time it didnt.

12 replies
marknrox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marknrox Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 2:34pm
post #2 of 13

I don't see why not. Probably not brushed, but sprinkled or dusted???

flayvurdfun Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 2:42pm
post #3 of 13

thats what I am thinking.... if I did glaze thing I didnt think I could paint it because it may mess up the glaze, but I wasnt sure...

can I add that shimmer dust/glitter to the glaze and have it still glisten?

flayvurdfun Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 3:35pm
post #4 of 13

by the way thank you Marknrox!!!!

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 13

I don't see why you couldn't sprinkle it on. However, if you are looking for more variety of colors, you could use their cake glitter and instead of using it as it, I always stick the handle of a wooden spoon in the container and crush up the glitter. It makes is more of a fairy dust look instead of a glitter look.

It's one of my favorite ways to liven up an otherwise boring area of cake. I used it extensively on my Bratz cake to make the pink & yellow starburst.

Lisa

KrazyKross Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KrazyKross Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 6:21pm
post #6 of 13

I've been to our local Michael's within the last week and they now have several different variations of Wilton shimmer dust. They have the gold/silver/bronze, but they also have 2 or three other packages with various colors ranging from yellow to red.

montanakate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
montanakate Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:21am
post #7 of 13

I have to say I got this stuff a couple of weeks ago and I'm not totally impressed yet. But this could be because I'm not using it right. Sor far the stuff I've used it on you couldn't really see if very well. Mayb you have to use quite a bit, I was just sprinkling it on. If you are looking for a really golden appearance I don't know exactly how you apply it.

Chrystal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chrystal Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:37am
post #8 of 13

i ordered the same stuff and received it within 5 days. I used it on a cake that i needed sparkle for the suns rays... it worked great. I used a STraw to pick it up and lay it into the lines I needed... For me it worked great...

mixaleena Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mixaleena Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:42am
post #9 of 13

I bought the stuff at Michaels and broke it out to use on chocolate pieces for a cake. I used the vanilla and painted it on...looked like wet sand. ewww. Maybe it will look better on fondant or on buttercream. Let us know if you use it.

susanmm23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
susanmm23 Posted 30 Apr 2005 , 2:55am
post #10 of 13

we used the gold and it looked moer yellow. it did not pain ton and it was not as fine as i thought it would be. The wiklton kind says not to mix it with vanilla or vodka. we tried it anyways and it jsut didnt work out. i would reccomend finding another brand to buy. the kind you can mix wiht liquid to paint on.

lastingmoments Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lastingmoments Posted 2 May 2005 , 6:22am
post #11 of 13

I bought all the colors when i ran into at micheals ....
it said that if you wanted a strong color you have to wet it it looks like wet sand...when i brushed on dry it didnt show that well.
i think that it has to do with the grain being to large...

If you sprinkle enough should get a nice sparkle effect....

once i saw collette peters on a cake special of some sort and she was saying that she gets a new clean toothbrush and then dabs it in the powder and then taps it over the cake to get a nice even sprinkle ...

hope that helps.

flayvurdfun Posted 2 May 2005 , 7:06am
post #12 of 13

Sorry, guys... I have stayed away for awhile...due to our up and coming move we've had appointments after appointments, then squadron BBQ's, promotion parties, and even a base wide yard sale... and now we've come to a halt... so for a little while anyway, I have time....
Now back to my post..... you all are making this so easy.... I talked with another lady here on base that decorates cakes as well... she has told me she has done it many different ways, and it works great all ways except mixing it in the glaze or frosting... that she couldnt tell she had even added any shimmer dust.... so I think I will crush it a little and sprinkle it one usually a cut straw....and see what happens...
you ladies are great thank you!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 3 May 2005 , 6:49pm
post #13 of 13

Just wanted to say, this product by Wilton is more like the sparkles than it is like the lustre dusts. It is meant to be sprinkled on, not mixed with alcohol and used as a paint on set buttercream. The particles are rather large. You can try crushing it finer and see how it is, but overall, I would only use it for a sprinkle or as stated by Wilton. I am not too impressed with this product.
Hugs Squirrelly

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%