Purple

Decorating By Amy28 Updated 29 Nov 2005 , 2:04am by izzybee

Amy28 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Amy28 Posted 4 Oct 2004 , 2:21am
post #1 of 5

I have tried many things to get my fondant a purple colour. Wilton paste turns a sickly grey-blue colour, colour dust makes it taste really weird. Mixing red and blue colouring together is unreliable and makes colours that are hard to recreate.

How can I get a nice purple fondant colour? I'm at a loss.

4 replies
GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Oct 2004 , 4:09am
post #2 of 5

I need a purple also... I'm very close to going to Michaels and purchasing some already colored fondant... as much as I hate doing it.

labrat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
labrat Posted 4 Oct 2004 , 2:36pm
post #3 of 5

It may depend on the brand of fondant you are using....at least one brand of white fondant has a whitening agent in it which interacts with some of the gel colorants. I had a lovely robin's egg blue result from using the violet get in white fondant; the manufacturer told me that the ivory fondant is to be used when colouring. There was nothing about this on either label though..... icon_eek.gif
I ended up using rolled buttercream for the pink and purple parts of the cake, and the fondant for green and yellow (it was a girl's first birthday cake).

GHOST_USER_NAME Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 4 Oct 2004 , 5:09pm
post #4 of 5

Thanks LABRAT! That's a great tidbit to know. It makes sense.... but they should have placed a warning on the box. icon_cry.gif

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 29 Nov 2005 , 2:04am
post #5 of 5

Americolor works best for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%