6X Powd. Sugar Vs. 10X

Decorating By smashcakes Updated 24 Apr 2006 , 3:53pm by m0use

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 11

gordon's has 25 pounds of 6x powd. sugar for 15.oo. but, i didn't know if 6x was better/worse or the same as 10x so i didn't get it. does anyone know the diff, or have they used 6x before?

10 replies
missyjo30 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyjo30 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 6:46pm
post #2 of 11

There is one menber here (can't remember her name) that said she only uses the 6x. It is supposed to make it creamier.......not sure, i'm wanting to try it though???????

what is Gordon's????

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:35pm
post #3 of 11

I bought the box at GFS, on the recommendation of someone on here, and while I can't say I didn't like it, I really couldn't tell much difference in the icing I made with it, other than the fact that it all had to be sifted because it had a lot of tiny hard lumps in it. Maybe I just got a "bad" box, not sure.

I made the Wilton Class Buttercream (all crisco), as well as buttercream with half crisco, half butter, and Antonia74's cookie icing with it, and it all seemed about the same as when I used Kroger brand 10x (which comes in smaller bags and doesn't need sifting!).

For the convenience of having it in one or two pound bags, and mostly not having to weigh it, plus not having to store the stuff I bought in bulk and deal with measuring it out of a big tub, I think I'm sticking with the regular 10x from the grocery store for now.

hth!
Laura.

smashcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smashcakes Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:58pm
post #4 of 11

missyjo- gordon's is a bulk retail, full name is gordons food service (GFS) you don't have to be a member like at sam's or costco. also, they sell pizza rounds in bulk and i think i'll buy some and try that for my cake boards. i don't do THAT many cakes, so i'll probably have them for a year, but at least i won't ever be out ha ha

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 9:19pm
post #5 of 11

I think 6x means that it has been sifted 6 times and 10x means that it has been sifted 10 times, HTH

CakemanOH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakemanOH Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 4:00am
post #6 of 11

I believe 6x powder sugar is far better for icing than 10x. Here is why: Bakeries use 6 x and it is considered bakery grade for a few of reasons. 1. It does not clump like 10 times has the ability to do. 10 x is too fine and will clump on you. 2. 10 x will get gritty because it is too fine. 6 x will not get gritty. 3. 6 x will allow the icing to remain more stiff than 10x which will break down quicker in a temp change. especially using crisco and butter versus a good alpine and icing base.
Here is a blurb to back up my statement above from The Sugar Bible. As you can see the finer it is the more corn starch they need to add to make it hopefully not lump. At that point it states that it is then less suitable to use for non cooked items. 6x and 4 x are commercial grade and will make a better icing. Hope this helps all of you with your icing endevors.

"As might be expected, the finer the granulation, the greater the tendency of the sugar to lump, which explains why cornstarch is added to absorb any moisture from the air before the sugar can. The cornstarch adds what is perceived as a floury taste and makes powdered sugar less suitable than granulated sugar for use with ingredients that are not to be cooked. Powdered sugar comes in four degrees of fineness: 10xx, the finest; 10x, available in supermarkets; and 6x and 4x, both of which are available commercially."

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 7:57pm
post #7 of 11

10 X refers to the size of the mesh screen that the sugar is processed through, the larger the number, the more fine the mesh screen so 10X is smaller sugar particles than 6X and 4X would be the largest particle sizes of all. The numbers do not refer to how many times the sugar was sifted but this is a common misconception.
Well generally it is felt that the finer the mesh, the silkier the icing, less gritty because the particles are smaller. The anti clumping agent and the amount of it also plays a role. Sifting will help. Clumping is due to moisture or humidity.
Cornstarch is used as the anti-clumping agent in cane sugar, beet sugar usually uses a different anti-clumping agent. Some sugars are a mixture of cane and beet sugar and a mixture of anti-clumping agents. Though both sugars are almost identical, the anti-clumping agents used in the processing appear to alter the texture of the sugar to some degree.
I sift my 10X powdered sugar because I live in a high humidity climate and I find that even when there are no lumps, I get smoother icing by sifting. I also use a highratio shortening which contributes to the silkiness of the icing.
I have read some mixed reviews on the accuracy of the information that is contained in the Sugar Bible. But it does make sense that with larger particles you would be adding less cornstarch or anti-clumping agent.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 23 Apr 2006 , 11:55pm
post #8 of 11

How do you find out what yours is? Is it on the package somewhere?
Tabby

Schmoop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Schmoop Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 12:03am
post #9 of 11

Yeah, I have not been able to find it on the PS I purchase.

I did see that Domino is 10X, but the only place I have seen it locally is at a dollar store, which I am hesitant to buy food product from.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 12:27am
post #10 of 11

Do you mean how do you find out if it is 10X or 4X or how do you find out if it is beet or cane sugar?
Usually with cane sugar, it will state Pure Cane Sugar. Usually with 10X sugar, in the U.S. it will state 10X sugar.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 3:53pm
post #11 of 11

At Sam's Club you can get a 4 lb or 6lb bag of 10x powdered sugar for the same price as a 2 lb bag of regular powdered sugar at the grocery store.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%