"top Shelf" Cakes

Baking By edencakes Updated 8 Aug 2011 , 7:02pm by ShayJazz

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:44pm
post #31 of 92

Richard your recipes sounds wonderful, thanks for sharing it!
As for the rest of you folks, sounds like the CC Lush Club was just formed, haha! Think I will have a Pink Squirrel!
Hugs Squirrelly

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 10:34pm
post #32 of 92

Here is the recipe for the Blackberry Wine Cake:

Bet you can substitute another fruit flavor wine of your choice:

3 oz pkg blackberry gelatin
3 eggs
3/4 cup Blackberry Wine
1 plain White cake mix
1/2 cup oil

In a large mixing bowl, blend the cake mix and gelatin thoroughly. Add the eggs, oil and wine. Blend on low speed until moistened. Continue on medium speed for 2 minutes, scraping sides of bowl. Pour batter into a heavily greased Bundt pan and bake in preheated 350 degree oven for 1 hour or until toothpick inserted in middle comes out clean. Cool thoroughly before inverting pan to remove cake.

Glaze:

2 cups confectioners sugar
1/2 cup Blackberry wine

Blend wine and sugar in saucepan over medium heat, bring to a boil. Ingredients should be melted and syrupy. Let glaze cool until it reaches the consistancy of thick syrup.Pour over cool cake.

I had this cake served with fresh strawberries and blackberries filling the hole in the middle of the cake. The glaze was poured over the cake and fruit. It was delicious!!

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 10:53pm
post #33 of 92

OK this lush wants to go to the tasting party. although coming from AZ, I will probably have to sleep it off before starting the trip home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been dying to try the pink champaigne cake that was posted a bit back. These all sound wonderful and cant wait to see the recipes in the recipe box!

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 3:26am
post #34 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate

OK this lush wants to go to the tasting party. although coming from AZ, I will probably have to sleep it off before starting the trip home!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I have been dying to try the pink champaigne cake that was posted a bit back. These all sound wonderful and cant wait to see the recipes in the recipe box!

Heehee, so now we know what you have in your hummingbird feeder and it isn't coloured water! icon_wink.gif
Hugs Squirrelly

SquirrellyCakes Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 3:26am
post #35 of 92

Cindy, your recipes sounds yummy!
Hugs Squirrelly

cindy6250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cindy6250 Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 3:31am
post #36 of 92

Thanks...I checked Walmart for the jello, but they didn't have it. I'm going to have to check around. I may use black cherry if I can't find blackberry.
There are a lot of different jello flavors that would work with fruity wines.

KittisKakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittisKakes Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 11:34pm
post #37 of 92

Cindy - Thanks! I've got some yummy pear and peach wines that I will have to try with that recipe!!

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 12:42am
post #38 of 92

When these "Top Shelf" recipes are added to the recipe area, there should be a new catagory called Top Shelf cakes. This way we can find them easier.

SquirrellyCakes now my seceret is out about what is in my feeder icon_lol.gif

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 1:16am
post #39 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karate

When these "Top Shelf" recipes are added to the recipe area, there should be a new catagory called Top Shelf cakes. This way we can find them easier.

SquirrellyCakes now my seceret is out about what is in my feeder icon_lol.gif

Haha, well you know, it was only a matter of time... icon_wink.gificon_twisted.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

m0use Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m0use Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 2:25pm
post #40 of 92

Chocolate Amaretto Cake
Chocolate cake with Almond Amaretto Added- Very yummy!

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 3:01pm
post #41 of 92

I've always heard that when a recipe that contains liquor is cooked (heated) the alcohol is "burned-off" and therefore, children can be allowed to eat the food.

IS THIS TRUE?

I don't let my child have "lushed-out" truffles or liquor soaked cakes.

And, I'd be more concerned about my waistline than my blood alcohol level, if I ever ate to drunkeness. heeheehee -

And, just picture this: Cop pulls you over and asks, "How many drinks did you have ma'am/sir?" and your reply, "Well, I just had a couple of slices of the top-shelf cake. Really that's the truth, officer".

SquirrellyCakes Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 4:21pm
post #42 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigMomma

I've always heard that when a recipe that contains liquor is cooked (heated) the alcohol is "burned-off" and therefore, children can be allowed to eat the food.

IS THIS TRUE?

I don't let my child have "lushed-out" truffles or liquor soaked cakes.

And, I'd be more concerned about my waistline than my blood alcohol level, if I ever ate to drunkeness. heeheehee -

And, just picture this: Cop pulls you over and asks, "How many drinks did you have ma'am/sir?" and your reply, "Well, I just had a couple of slices of the top-shelf cake. Really that's the truth, officer".

Haha, if you have ever eaten Jamaican Wedding Cake, you will know just how true this is! Love it!
Good question, recently there have been studies on how alcohol evaporates and these studies produced results very different to what was previously believed.
Check out this link for the information:
http://www.ochef.com/165.htm
I found it to be a real eye opener.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 24 Apr 2006 , 5:55pm
post #43 of 92

edencakes - just had to complement you on your cake flavors - they sound absolutely fantastic! icon_wink.gif

hide the liquor, we've got a bunch of lushes in here! icon_lol.gif

S1eepygrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
S1eepygrl Posted 23 Jun 2006 , 3:07pm
post #44 of 92

Hi Ya'll,

It is Friday and i just had to try to bring this topic back to life.

Are any of these recipes posted yet?

loveqm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loveqm Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 3:01pm
post #45 of 92

I can't wait for your recipes to try out... mouth watering just from reading the choices....mmmm

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 29 Jan 2007 , 3:30pm
post #46 of 92
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrellyCakes

Haha, if you have ever eaten Jamaican Wedding Cake, you will know just how true this is! Love it!
Good question, recently there have been studies on how alcohol evaporates and these studies produced results very different to what was previously believed.
Check out this link for the information:
http://www.ochef.com/165.htm
I found it to be a real eye opener.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Thank you for posting that -- I had seen a whole segment done on TV and when I tried to explain it to people they thought I had misunderstood! HA! icon_confused.gif It was my understanding that the fumes essentially burn off but the essence of the alcohol remains. Anyway, thanks again for posting that article! icon_smile.gif

czyadgrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
czyadgrl Posted 16 Feb 2007 , 12:21am
post #47 of 92

Bumping up this post because I'm looking for some real "knock you out" recipes icon_wink.gif

Something that you can really taste the liquor in, I'm planning a cake for a guy, so is there something a little more substancial than irish cream, etc.?

freddie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
freddie Posted 19 Feb 2007 , 4:34pm
post #48 of 92

I recently did a B52 cake that was plenty potent. It had layers with Irish Cream, Kahlua and Grand Marnier. Very Delicious but you knew it was booze filled.

Bethwmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Bethwmi Posted 6 May 2007 , 4:22am
post #49 of 92

I've made a Mimosa (orange juice and champagne) cake a couple times...it's divine. The first time I doctored a cake mix, the next time I doctored a scratch yellow cake. Both tasted good-depends on the texture you're going for.

For one white cake mix, follow box instructions except sub dry champagne and milk for the water (3/4 c champagne, the rest milk), then added 3 tsp of Lorann orange oil (one dram is 1 tsp), ½ tsp citric acid crystals and a little orange color. Then fill the cake with white chocolate mousse, and frost with buttercream. Mmmmmmmm, goooooooood.

I'm glad to see this thread! I've got some ideas brewing now, just need some guinea pigs!

Blue0877 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Blue0877 Posted 9 May 2007 , 1:32am
post #50 of 92

wow...I am dying to try all of these cakes!! They sound delicious!!

JaneK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaneK Posted 9 May 2007 , 2:01am
post #51 of 92

The Fuzzy Navel Cake is good too...
1 pkg cake mix
1 pkg peach gelatin (3oz)
4 eggs
3/4 cup orange liqueur (Grand Marnier)
1 tbsp orange zest
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup vegetable oil

Frost and fill with SMBC mixed with Grand Marnier liqueur and Peach Schnapps

Recipe for cake from Duncan Hines Cake Mix Magic

Yummers!!!!

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 14 May 2007 , 3:17pm
post #52 of 92

Oooooh!!! This is a thread I could really sink my teeth into.. What about a limoncello cake.. white cake soaked with limoncello simple syrup with spiked lemon cream (thinkin Absolute limon of something) frosted with lemon buttercream..

Or a Mohito.. A white cake with lime zest added and then drizzled with a rum infused simple syrup filled with sweetened whipped cream with fresh mint and lime zest added and frosted with something good.. a whipped butter cream with lime juice and zest added..

lish1904 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lish1904 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:40am
post #53 of 92

I have been wanting to try out new flavors and this post is the best.

Badeerah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Badeerah Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:50am
post #54 of 92

I am getting tipsy just reading this icon_biggrin.gif

dolphins256 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphins256 Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #55 of 92

What about using some Malibu Rum. They have all kinds of different flavors now. I know that Malibu rum and amaretto go great together with pineapple and cranberry. Yummy!

briannastreats Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
briannastreats Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 12:54am
post #56 of 92

I have made a mudslide cake. It was delicious!!

Use a regular boxed cake mix (I used chocolate) and instead of using water, I used mudslide mix (the kind with the khalua already in it). Then when making the icing, instead of water or milk, I used the same mudslide mix again (it just didn't turn out white, so I colored the frosting).

I LOVE THIS POST!!! (I'd love some recipes too, please icon_biggrin.gif

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:01am
post #57 of 92

I am in love with this site. I love love love new recipes for cake. And the top shelf cake topic is great. I also want some more recipes for cakes.

mkolmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkolmar Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:19am
post #58 of 92

I've made a coconut rum cake but to be honest I can't remember how icon_redface.gif I just kind of tossed a whole bunch of stuff together. It tasted great but the rum could have been stronger in it.

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:20am
post #59 of 92

I'd love to have the recipe made with Disorono because that stuff is great! I love love LOVE that stuff! lol

lilmisscantbewrg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmisscantbewrg Posted 14 Jun 2007 , 1:34am
post #60 of 92

When cleaning out my Grandmother's house, I came across this recipe-seems Granny likes to drink a bit! icon_lol.gif I haven't tried it yet tho. This recipe card looks to be at least from the 80's, if not older. If you try it, let me know how it turns out.

Miami Whammy Cake

Cake:
1 box white cake mix ( with pudding in the mix)
3/4 cup water
3 egg whites
1/4 cup Bacardi light rum
1/4 cup Nassau Royale Liqueur
/3 cup vegetable oil
1 Tablespoon grenadine
2 Tablespoons grated orange peel

Preheat oven to 350 degrees . Grease and flour two 8 or 9 inch cake pans. Combine cake mix, water, egg whites, rum, liqueur, oil, grenadine and orange peel in large mixer bowl; blend, then beat on medium speed for 2 mins. Divide batter between pans. Bake according to package directions. Cool layers, then torte. Fold filling into whipped cream. Spread mixture between layers and over top of cake. Chill well.

Miami Whammy Filling
1 pint heavy cream, whipped

Filling:
1/3 cup Bacardi light rum
1/4 cup Nassau Royale Liqueur
1/3 cup orange juice
1/4 cup lime juice
3 tablespoons cornstarch
1 tablespoon grenadine
1 cup sugar.

Combine all ingredients in small sauepan. Cook, stirring constantly, over medium heat until sauce thickens and clears. Cool, then chill.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%