Good Tasting Fondant?? Does It Exist??

Decorating By CAKESHERWAY Updated 29 Apr 2007 , 5:03am by Keliames

CAKESHERWAY Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CAKESHERWAY Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:56am
post #1 of 56

Hi! I have a girl who wants a cake (done in Fondant) but she is concerned about the tast. I have never worked with fondant and so I will do a practice cake or two before but am VERY concerned about the tast!

Do any of you have a recipe for good/great tasting fondant?? I did a search but it really didn't help. Thanks for any suggestions!

55 replies
missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:06am
post #2 of 56

MMF tastes just like marshmallows and Satin Ice brand has a nice vanilla taste. Just don't get the Wilton brand. Also, taste is not everything--there is also the texture issue--most people have a tough time with the idea of chewing their icing which sometimes gets mixed in with the taste issue. So even if you have a great tasting fondant, people still may not care for it because of the texture.

2yummy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2yummy Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 2:07am
post #3 of 56

ditto, try the mmf recipe on this site. It is easy to make and most people like the taste of it.

KonfectionKonnection Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KonfectionKonnection Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:37am
post #4 of 56

You might also consider RBC (rolled buttercream). It seems to blend w/ the buttercream really well and is easy to make. I like the MMF also, but it is a litte chewier and some people don't like it. (I'm easy to please--RBC, MMF, BC . . . .) icon_rolleyes.gif

trombonekaren Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trombonekaren Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:40am
post #5 of 56

You can always do a nice layer of buttercream under the fondant - I think most people leave the fondant on the plate anyway. MMF tastes like those orange circus peanuts I think...

melysa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melysa Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:45am
post #6 of 56

i used to use mmf, but think the flavor is more appealing to children than the adult taste pallette. try satin ice brand. it is more costly, but so wonderul. the taste, texture, consistency...its all great, and worth it to me. you can call the manufacturer, and ask for a sample. sometimes they will mail out a small packet. i order from www.intotheoven.com and recieve my order within 3-4 days. i buy the 20lb container for 49.95 and it will go a LONG way, you get more coverage out of it than mmf , by far. the shipping for my zip code is only $11 it also comes in colors and dark chocolate. yum yum.

melysa Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:47am
post #7 of 56

when i use satin ice, i RARELY see it left on the plates. people seem to gobble it up...at least in my neck of the woods, people dont know what it is to dislike fondant- guess its cause i give em' the best icon_smile.gif spoiled rotten people icon_smile.gif LOL

Sugarbunz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarbunz Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 5:43am
post #8 of 56

Well, I am a newbie, but I have not found a fondant that I've liked yet. I've tried Satin Ice (can't get over the play-dough smell, and it leaves a residue in your mouth); MMF (Fluff and marshmallow version), AND Toba Garrett's recipe. It's not to say that these taste horrible, but my issue with it (as I think is true of most people), is the texture. I just can't get over it. IT's funny, but on Petite fours I can tolerate it, just not on a big ole hunk of cake. That's not to say I'm anti-fondant; I LOVE the look, but just make sure I put a good layer of buttercream on it as well. I want to try RBC, but am intimidated by the part that says "use a professional mixer" of which I do not have. (I have a 25 yo Oster with no paddle attachment). Next, I will try the jello version of it.

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 5:52am
post #9 of 56

I love Massa Grischuna fondant ... I think it tastes much better than any other fondant I've tasted (I've never tasted MMF ... it sounds great, though!). It's on the pricey side, but I think it's worth it. I order it from the manufacturer, Albert Uster Imports.

suzmazza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
suzmazza Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:50pm
post #10 of 56

I prefer to buy Pettinice fondant if you are looking for prepackaged. I think the taste is much better than the others, and super easy to work with. Its not a fondant that dries out very fast, so cracks are less likely. Also the Marshmallow Fondant that is listed on this site is not bad when some extract is added. I added almond to mine, and it was delicious! MMF is a little harder to work with if you are a first timer.

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:14pm
post #11 of 56

My cat and I both like the taste of satin ice vanilla

lapazlady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lapazlady Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:31pm
post #12 of 56

I use MMF, and most people take it off. It's not the taste, it's the texture. I'm also, still looking for a good fondant. I'm going to try the newest one posted on CC, this weekend. I'll post the response to it, both flavor and ease in working with it. (Michele Foster's (aka Sugarflowers) Delicious Fondant)

terri-jo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
terri-jo Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:34pm
post #13 of 56

I didn't see what neck of the woods you're from, so this probably wont apply. However...Here in Canada, and more specifically here in Toronto, there is a cake decorating supply company called McCaul's. They make all sorts of tools and what-not, but they make a really good rolled fondant which is easy to work with and pretty good tasting. I doubt that helps much, but at least you're getting the idea that there are some fondants out there that are good. I've never tasted Wilton fondant, but after joining this site, and hearing what people think, I NEVER WILL!! LOL

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:46pm
post #14 of 56

definitely try Michele Foster's fondant! (I posted it this week!) I think it's a good one to try, especially if you've tried others and not liked them. If it's the texture you don't like, then nothing's going to help - but if it's the taste, then give it a shot!! My family loves it (except DH - the texture issue - doesn't want to chew his icing!).

melysa Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 5:44pm
post #15 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugarbunz

IT's funny, but on Petite fours I can tolerate it, just not on a big ole hunk of cake. .

i think on petite fours, its typically poured fondant, which i am sure it tastes different...(i personally have not tried it, but i have seen recipes). ????

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 7:11pm
post #16 of 56

I love Satin Ice, but I've only tried Wilton other than that.

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 8:54pm
post #17 of 56

I'm using my first batch of Fondx and I really like it. very easy to work with and a nice pleasing taste. Need to try Satin Ice next.

nglez09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nglez09 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 1:09am
post #18 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakesbyjess

I love Massa Grischuna fondant ... I think it tastes much better than any other fondant I've tasted (I've never tasted MMF ... it sounds great, though!). It's on the pricey side, but I think it's worth it. I order it from the manufacturer, Albert Uster Imports.

Nice html. icon_wink.gif Isn't that the fondant that Colette Peters uses, if I'm not mistaken?

delaware Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
delaware Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 1:16am
post #19 of 56

My family LIKES the MMF recipe here on CC!!!!

I love it too since it is so easy to make!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 1:26am
post #20 of 56

I use Pettinice fondant the most. I also use SatinIce and the white chocolate rolled fondant from Caljava.com.

Never heard of "Massa Grischuna" fondant? Thanks for the info!!!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 1:31am
post #21 of 56

cakesbyjess:
do you buy the "neutral"? 13 lbs for $42?

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 1:59am
post #22 of 56

I usually make my own fondant due to cost issues. I don't usually get paid to make my cakes as of yet. And most of the time, I'm doing cakes for practice, so I don't charge what they are really worth. Therefore, I try to make everything I can, as inexpensively as possible. The best fondant I have ever made and tasted was from a recipe I got off this site. Rhonda's Ultimate MMF. When I was making it, it smelled really good! It is a little harder to work with, but the better taste makes it worth it. One thing I do, is to replace a small portion of the powdered sugar with Corn Starch, which is the base of powdered sugar anyway. It helps to cut some of the sweetness. I still noticed that a lot of people did not eat the fondant, but I think it is more texture issues, than taste. This is why I always use a layer of BCF under the fondant. I asked everyone to taste this fondant, because it was a new type. Everyone who tasted it said it tasted like frosting, not like the sickening sweet taste of fondant. There was also a recipe for some kind of Jello fondant on this site that seemed to get rave reviews. The only problem with this is it will end up being the color of the jello flavor you use. There are a lot more options than there use to be!

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:09am
post #23 of 56

Yes! Good tasting fondant does exist and it is Toba Garrett's recipe. I have now tried ready made fondant in Satin Ice and Wilton with flavorings added and I liked the SA ok but my husband and daughter neither one liked it at all. Their dislike for fondant enticed me to hunt down the best recipes and make my own fondant, which I did, and it is Toba's recipe. It is fast and easy to make and it tastes absolutely wonderfully delicious. My husband and daughter love it and said they would eat it on any cake and believe me, that is saying something. I made a chocolate fondant using Toba's fondant and it tastes just like tootsie rolls.

I encourage you to give Toba's recipe a try. You will not be disappointed in flavor or how easy it is to make. The recipe is right here on CC too icon_biggrin.gif

lindsaycakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lindsaycakes Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:23am
post #24 of 56

I just completed Colette Peter's gumpaste and fondant class, and YES, she uses Massa Grischuna brand fondant in her shop.

Must be good, because she has been doing cakes for years, I assume you could trust that kind of experience!

My 2 cents is that Wilton fondant is NASTY! UGH UGH. I can barely stand the smell of it, let alone gristle down through the awful plastic flavor. Good for practice cakes that you won't eat, however.

I like Pettinice, but I will have to try Satin Ice or the Massa Grischuna.

JMHO! It's the age-old debate...buttercream or fondant??

Lindsay

cake-angel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cake-angel Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:05am
post #25 of 56

I have to agree with teekakes! I love Toba Garrett's fondant recipe. I have tried MMF and found it much chewier. Toba's has a smoother texture. I will probably try the new recipe posted on the recipe section just to compare but so far I am a fan of Toba's!!

flowers40 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flowers40 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 5:43am
post #26 of 56

Hey guys
I've never heard of Toba Garrett, not that that is saying a lot. I would really like her recipe if someone could please post it. I have several cakes to do and would really like to try this recipe to compare. Thanks

MissRobin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissRobin Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 2:00pm
post #27 of 56

TeeKakes and cake-angel, I tried Toba's fondant last week and loved the taste but I found it very hard to work with. It was so soft that it ripped very easily, any suggestions?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:49pm
post #28 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by flowers40

Hey guys
I've never heard of , not that that is saying a lot. I would really like her recipe if someone could please post it. I have several cakes to do and would really like to try this recipe to compare. Thanks

I do believe this is already in the recipes section?

Also - try Michele Foster's delicious fondant - I just posted it this past week and it's great! (it's nice to have a few kinds to try and choose from too!) thumbs_up.gif

jillcleary1026 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jillcleary1026 Posted 18 Apr 2007 , 3:55pm
post #29 of 56

MMF tastes great. I used it to make a cake and got rave reviews. I got the recipe on CC.

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 20 Apr 2007 , 1:31pm
post #30 of 56
Quote:
Originally Posted by MissRobin

TeeKakes and cake-angel, I tried Toba's fondant last week and loved the taste but I found it very hard to work with. It was so soft that it ripped very easily, any suggestions?

Mine was a bit more sticky than it should have been too so I just added extra powdered sugar until it got to the correct consistency, which it did without problem. I think the area of the country one lives in determines the correct amount of ps to be added to any of the fondant recipes requiring it. For me a doubled batch of Toba's fondant takes exactly two 2 pound bags PLUS 1 cup of 10x powdered sugar.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%