911 I Need Help

Decorating By novaalison23 Updated 20 Apr 2006 , 10:09am by pinkopossum

novaalison23 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
novaalison23 Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 15

OMG!!!!! The wedding is tommarow. They just got the recipe to me, AND ITS HORRIBLE!!!!. Its falling apart, and it tastes like baking soda. Im horrified. Its 5:30 and their wedding is in 23 hours.....
ALSO they changed their mind on the design of the cake THIS MORNING!!!! and I have enough stress with the cake alone.
Kenni usaribbon.gif

14 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:34pm
post #2 of 15

Wow! That's an awfully short notice to receive a recipe!!!!!!!!! I suggest calling them to tell them that the cake is not working. Have another suggestion in mind for them to try....they'll probably agree with you if you keep exxagerating that there aren't even 24 hours left til the wedding.

Good Luck!!!!!!!!

lsawyer Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lsawyer Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:36pm
post #3 of 15

I'd call and let them know about the cake problems, then start baking one that you know is reliable! How large of a cake is it? Can you borrow a neighbor's oven to bake more cakes at the same time? Shame on them for getting the recipe to you at the 11th hour!

RhondaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RhondaK Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:37pm
post #4 of 15

I agree with mmdd....if you already have an alternative to offer, they may be okay with your suggestion. What is the cake flavor supposed to be?

Good luck!!!

novaalison23 Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:39pm
post #5 of 15

Its supposed to be red velvet, and i cannot even explain how much i greased floured the pan. I made 3 other cakes already today in the same pans same way, no sticking. These are breaking in half. And they seem hard, but I cooked them about 1/2 the time in the recipe. I just dont want to dissapoint them. They really wanted this cake. usaribbon.gif

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:40pm
post #6 of 15

did they really expect you to make this cake in 23 hours ?
how clueless of them!! they are crazy..I'm sorry.

Let them know of your dlilema right away. You only have two hands and 23 hours..
please let us know how it came out.. icon_sad.gif
take care

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 15

Wow!!! I have never heard of such poor planning on their part!! I would bake the cakes using boxed mixes.I would also call and let them know it is not working.Chances are they won't even worry or care since they didn't seem to mind giving you the recipe at the last minute.

novaalison23 Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:45pm
post #8 of 15

no, i mean i knew i could do the cake in 48 hours (i started this morning), its a pretty simple design, some ribbon and carnations, nothing special, but the cakes falling apart was not supposed to come into play..
uggg, and the taste.

RhondaK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
RhondaK Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:46pm
post #9 of 15

The red velvet III recipe on this site is to die for...if you are concerned about the cake taste and want to re-do them, that would be my suggestion.

Oooo....I wish I was there to lend a hand! How stressful.

Lesson learned, I suppose. You need a cut-off date for changes to the cake. All decisions should be final (just like deposit, etc.) at a certain time ahead of the contracted date.

Best of luck to you...I'll try to send you some extra sanity with my message.

Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:47pm
post #10 of 15

You could always add red food coloring to the chocolate cake mix to get red velvet!!

emilykakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
emilykakes Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:47pm
post #11 of 15

I am so sorry this is happening to you! I am just curious...Is this family that you are doing this cake for? If not I hope you plan to charge them extra $$$$ for the design change. I know that a girlfriend of mine changed something really minor about the design of her wedding cake and she was charged a "silly" amount for it and she gave them more than 24 hours notice. Definitely see if they don't mind you using a tried and true recipe instead. Good luck!

thyterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thyterrell Posted 19 Apr 2006 , 11:51pm
post #12 of 15

I think I'd just have to call them and tell them the cake they wanted is not working and that you need to go with a boxed red velvet mix. It's just too late in the game to keep making cakes that won't work.

novaalison23 Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:16am
post #13 of 15

Update. Were using a white box cake with pink and purple coloring. Things are going a bit smoother. Cross your fingers on the cakes coming out of the pans.. lol.
BTW, we also realized the problem with the red velvet. I live in colorado, near the mountains. The recipe is made a LOT closer to sea level. sooooo... I should have realized this before now. I will send pics when it is done.
Thanks for all your help and nice words, i needed to read them through my tears.

It is not for family, but for a really close friend that I love dearly, so I was willing to deal with some $^^&% . They said they are willing to let me handle all cake desicions from here on out. All their groomsmen dropped out, and they are having problems with the reception hall now. So, they have enough on their plate. They said the cake will probably be the only thing there now.
Thanks again everyone. usaribbon.gif

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 3:31am
post #14 of 15

Wow! Ummm.....good luck to you making the cake and to them with their wedding. I can't imagine why groomsmen would drop out on such short notice, but I hope everything goes well.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 20 Apr 2006 , 10:09am
post #15 of 15

good luck with everything!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%