Would This Be Rude?

Decorating By sarahnichole975 Updated 17 Apr 2007 , 4:11pm by sarahnichole975

sarahnichole975 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahnichole975 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:53am
post #1 of 25

I have a lady who I made a strawberry shortcake for a few weeks ago. It's nothing fancy or expensive, and I just finished another one (made #12 for the weekend.... icon_confused.gif and it is definitely the easiest.) She is wanting me to do one a month for the birthdays at work. My problem with it is that she wants to pick it up at 6am. Now we don't get up until 8am and I really want to tell her I'm sorry but I don't do pick ups at 6 in the morning. I offered to have it ready for the night before, but she said she doesn't have room in her refrigerator to keep it. Would it be wrong or rude for me to say no way? I mean I don't think you can pick up from most businesses that early. And I'm all for pleasing the client, but isn't this a bit much? My hours are all a mess anyway with all nighters most weekends and I'm slow in Monday mornings when I get to sleep till 8!

24 replies
alibugs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
alibugs Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:03am
post #2 of 25

no that's not rude of you to say no. I would tell her it is either the night before or none at all. Does the local bakery open at 6am for a strawberry shortcake. No.
Just be polite and tell her you sleep in until 8am.

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:14am
post #3 of 25

I agree that it would not be rude to tell her she cannot pick it up at 6am. I am unfamiliar with the type of cake you are talking about but does it need to be refrigerated? If not, then she should have no problem collecting it the night before. If it needs to be refrigerated, then surely she can make space in her fridge for ONE NIGHT A MONTH!!

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:50am
post #4 of 25

The only one who is rude is her. Being a baker doesn't mean that we have to be up at the crack of dawn to SERVE our customers, just to do our work! icon_lol.gif
I would very calmly and unemotionally tell her Sorry, I am unavailable for collection until 8am, otherwise you may pick it up the day prior. If she wants any cake, she will have to store it somewhere!
I am getting more stringent with my conditions, because I am sick of my family getting 2nd choice of when we can do things based on my cake collections, so I now say I am unavailable at that time, but can do xxx instead. They have all been great about it!
Good luck!

onetaahine Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
onetaahine Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 8:53am
post #5 of 25

I don't know... sleep IS pretty dang important... (no joke!) thumbs_up.gif

What I DO think is rude is that she's probably expecting you to agree to that 6am crap w/o a FEE! icon_eek.gifthumbsdown.gif

Lazy_Susan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lazy_Susan Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 9:08am
post #6 of 25

I agree with everyone else. 6 am is very early (unless you are me and then it's very late LOL). Just politely tell her that you will not be available until after 8 am. You might also suggest delivering it to her at her place of work for an additional fee. Just a thought icon_smile.gif

Lazy_Susan

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 10:05am
post #7 of 25

If she can't make room in her fridge for cake, then she needs to clean out her fridge anyway. icon_biggrin.gif

LittleBigMomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleBigMomma Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:19am
post #8 of 25

No Way! She's being rude even asking.

I would tell her that Monday mornings are not good. If she understands, she'll clean out her frig and make room.

If we conform to every request, the business controls us and becomes a burden.

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:49am
post #9 of 25

Depending on how far away her office is, maybe she can arrange for somebody else from the office to pick it up during morning break or something.

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 11:50am
post #10 of 25

I guess I am an early riser. I would personally just let her pick it up if that is the only time she can get it (probably on the way to work) It is only once a month, not like every day. I would say most bakeries ARE open at 6 am. But if you dont want to, then just say no. She might have to go somewhere else. OR just suggest cakes that dont have to be in the fridge, then she can get it the night before.

sarahnichole975 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 12:44pm
post #11 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBigMomma

If we conform to every request, the business controls us and becomes a burden.

Yes, this is what I'm running into. I am spending my entire weekend conforming to what clients want, and am ending up with NO time for my family. It just seems that as you give a little, they just take more and more. Monday mornings are typically my morning to "sleep in" while DH gets the kids up and ready for school. (Not that 8:30 is really sleeping in.) And I need that after not sleeping more than a couple hours a night on Thursday,Friday, and Saturday nights till Sunday evening when I finally crash. I'm not going to deliver this cake since she works downtown in the CBD and I'm not going to lug my 2 yo down there for that. I have already conformed on my "no cakes on Mondays". I really don't like doing cakes that need to be refrigerated, but she wants the strawberry shortcake with home made vanilla whipped cream, which HAS to be refrigerated. So I did tell her this morning that I can't keep doing early am pick ups. She said she'd see what she could do next time. Which may mean she goes somewhere else. But to be honest, there is still very few businesses, including groceries, that open up early here. Our WalMart is still only open from 7:30 to 10:30. NO cake shops do and there aren't really any bakeries on her route to work. Unless they are downtown and then you're talking more $$$, and I can tell you that isn't an option for her. I bend on so much, I think I'm not going to on this!

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 1:03pm
post #12 of 25

If your normal business hours begin after 8 am I would tell her that you are unable to arrange a pickup at that time. Offer to deliver it (with fee of course, lol) or she can pick it up the night before.

BlairsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlairsMom Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:04pm
post #13 of 25

I don't think that is rude at all. I would feel the same way if it were me. I think you handled it wonderfully!

Carrie211 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Carrie211 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:37pm
post #14 of 25

I don't think it's rude of you to say no to that. It's your decision, she can't force you to do something you're not willing to do.

If she wants the cake badly enough, I'm sure you can work something else out. Otherwise you'll just have to do without her business. But I'm sure it won't come to that.

Sometimes people just don't "get it" and have expectations that aren't always realistic. Mainly because they just don't think it through before they ask! This was probably the case in her situation.

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 2:53pm
post #15 of 25

Stick to your cake pans!

After 8:00am any given day or the night before.

I work in customer service for my real job that pays the bills and although I want to give my customers the best I have to offer... sometimes enough is enough... even with my customers at work!

kjgjam22 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kjgjam22 Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 3:47pm
post #16 of 25

I dont understand...isnt she paying for the cake? Its money and business for you.....why is it such a problem to go out of your way and wake up at 6 to give her the cake? you can always go back to bed until 8.

You are the one who wants the business.

I am not saying you are to always do this but y not this time?

why is it rude of her to ask? She didnt insist...she asked.

I see no problem with her asking.

It would be to your advantage...its money in your pocket even if its a little inconvenient for you to wake at 6.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:04pm
post #17 of 25

why don't you suggest to her that you make other wonderful flavors that do not need to be refridgerated. Maybe they should try some of those and then she can pick it up the evening before.

12 strawberry shortcakes in a row would get boring

rlsaxe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlsaxe Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:44am
post #18 of 25

6 am? ohhhhh heeeeeeeeeeck no!
She can come get it the night before if she wants it......or you can offer to leave it out on your front porch steps and she can come get it whenever she wants.

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:13am
post #19 of 25

if she wants a vanilla whipped cream filling, why not make it with pastry pride or bettercreme, then it won't need refrigeration? she can get it the night before and everybody wins! however, if it were me i would let her pick it up at 6. of course, you have to understand that im a personal trainer and regularly have clients every morning starting at 5 am. so i totally get that people need to finish some things up before they get to work in the morning. you can go to bed a little early sunday night, then go back to bed after she picks it up monday morning and get your additional 2 hours of sleep.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:31am
post #20 of 25

I'd add an aggrevation fee. Look at it this way .... if you were in a storefront with hours of 8:00 to whatever, you'd have to pay someone to go in 2 hours early for this pick up. Just because it's out of your home, doesn't make it a non-legitimate business expense.

Tweetycup Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tweetycup Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 11:29am
post #21 of 25

5:50 a.m. get up and be semi-presentable to customer.
6:00 a.m. customer for whatever reason is running late. doesn't show unti 6:10 / 6:20.
exchange pleasantries, blah, blah, blah. Goodbye.
6:15 / 6:25 a.m. climb back into bed and try to go back to sleep.
even if the above scenario is unrealistic...Interrupted sleep is no fun. I should know, My sleep was interrupted at 1:00 a.m. this morning, it's now 4:30 a.m. and I'm still up!
Ask customer to pick up cake the night before. Sounds like her refrigerator needs to be cleaned out once a month anyway!

cakefairy18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefairy18 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 12:57pm
post #22 of 25

i would DEFINATELY say no...u can't just ask your grocery store to have someone there at 6am cuz it's convenient for u...

if you are a business, then you should treat ppl like u are a business. she can pick up the cake any time after XX, or the night before, anytime before XX...no room in the fridge?? MAKE SOME! lol...i wouldn't be rude about saying no, but i would say no...

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 1:12pm
post #23 of 25

No Thank You! My hours are 8 AM - ?.

Beth in KY

FromScratch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FromScratch Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 3:51pm
post #24 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

The question wasn't was it rude of the woman to ask.. the question was if it was rude for her to say no to the request for a 6 am pick up..

And I say if it's not something you would normally do.. and you don't mind losing the business then say no. If she really wants it she can make room in her fridge for a cake for one night.. if not.. then she doesn't get the cake. Don't feel bad about it. Don't be rude in saying no.. simply state that your hours are X - X and there will be no one awake at your home at 6am to give her the cake. If you have a no cakes on monday policy already it makes it easier for you to say no cakes on monday.

sarahnichole975 Posted 17 Apr 2007 , 4:11pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjgjam22

I dont understand...isnt she paying for the cake? Its money and business for you.....why is it such a problem to go out of your way and wake up at 6 to give her the cake? you can always go back to bed until 8.

You are the one who wants the business.

I am not saying you are to always do this but y not this time?

It would be to your advantage...its money in your pocket even if its a little inconvenient for you to wake at 6.

Well, fortunately for me, I don't have a problem with business. I have more than I can handle. And I'm pretty good about bending and flexing. And, no actually, I won't go back to bed until 8 am. As a matter of fact, she didn't pick the cake up until close to 7:00....TALK ABOUT RUDE!!! I can immediately "label" this kind of customer. She was demanding and pushy from the first call, and of course it was a "I can only pay $30 at the most for the cake. We're talking fresh strawberries and she insisted on homemade whipped cream...which is fine. Then she wants tinted whipped cream for border and writing...which melts in your hand...but I did it anyway. So at this point, I don't think that I'm being unreasonable to just say, "sorry 6am is NOT good for me." And WHEN I have my shop, I will NOT be going in on Sundays for pickups or two hours early either, so I agree with everyone in saying...nope...

Thanks for the advice and the backup everyone! Sometimes we just need a little justification!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%