Fondant???

Decorating By madronaleah Updated 2 May 2005 , 11:43pm by madronaleah

madronaleah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
madronaleah Posted 27 Apr 2005 , 11:28pm
post #1 of 7

I would like to cover a cake that I will be making with fondant, my problem is I have never worked with it before. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with:
1. Is it better to buy it or make it yourself?

2. I was thinking about trying the mmf recipe. Is it difficult to make? and
Can you use mm cream instead of the baged mm's.

3. Is it hard to work with. I would just like to cover the 2 teirs and the
colombs of the castle with it.

I am still new to making cakes and am so glad that I have forund this site! Thank You for Your help!!!

Sharon

6 replies
MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 12:04am
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by madronaleah

I would like to cover a cake that I will be making with fondant, my problem is I have never worked with it before. I have a few questions that hopefully someone can help me with:
1. Is it better to buy it or make it yourself?

2. I was thinking about trying the mmf recipe. Is it difficult to make? and
Can you use mm cream instead of the baged mm's.

3. Is it hard to work with. I would just like to cover the 2 teirs and the
colombs of the castle with it.

I am still new to making cakes and am so glad that I have forund this site! Thank You for Your help!!!

Sharon

I'll try and answer some of your questions;

! If you are going to but fondant, try Satin Ice or Pettinice. The Wilton brand is not so tasty. The MMF is great and a lot cheaper.

2. The MMF is easy to work with and the recipe is on this forum. Just be patient the first time you make it! Make sure to lightyly grease your hands and work surface. Some people use the dough hook on their mixer, but I haven't tried that yet! I have heard that the cream can be used in place of the bagged but I havne't done that either

3. Again, it is easy to work with, if it gets stick just nuke it for a few seconds and you're good to go!

Hope this helps!!

madronaleah Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 1:56am
post #3 of 7

Thank You icon_smile.gif That did help. One more question icon_biggrin.gif It may sound silly but really I don't know..... Do I need to frost the cake with butterceam frosting first and then cover it with the mmf?

Thanks
Sharon

abbey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
abbey Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:04am
post #4 of 7

Yes sharon you will need to frost with buttercream before applying the fondant. It will need to be smooth and it helps to apply the fondant before the bc crust. Good luck with fondant! I think it's alot of fun to work with.

MrsMissey Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MrsMissey Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 2:29am
post #5 of 7

..don't do a real thick coat though! Remember, any imperfections in the buttercream may show through on the fondant!! Good luck!

zoozieqv Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
zoozieqv Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 3:06am
post #6 of 7

let us know how it turns out!!!
Suzanna

madronaleah Posted 2 May 2005 , 11:43pm
post #7 of 7

I would like to thank everyone who helped me with my fondant questions!! I did make the MMF and couldnt believe how easy it was! And it tasted so good. The cake was for my neices 5th birthday and turned it out wonderfuly. As soon as I learn how to uplode pictures icon_confused.gif I will post one. Thanks everyone for all of your help!

Sharon

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%