How Long...

Decorating By debbie2881 Updated 18 Apr 2006 , 10:23am by MustloveDogs

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 19

How long does it take you guys to frost and simply decorate a 8'' round? I just want to know how much of an amature i am.

18 replies
kerri729 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kerri729 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 19

debbie,
I too am a newbie and am curious what the experienced ones will say. I did an 8" round, 4" high filled cake last weekend for Easter, bc basketweave with 3 different colors and coconut grass and jelly beans on top. To ice it smooth (I used the upside down method, which I love!)- total time, basketweave and all was about an hour and a half.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:49pm
post #3 of 19

Simple Borders, flowers, writing....10-20 minutes.

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:52pm
post #4 of 19

After crumb coat has chilled, about 10-15 minutes.

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:54pm
post #5 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Simple Borders, flowers, writing....10-20 minutes.

icon_eek.gif 10-20 minutes?? WOW! It takes me at least one hour!! I have ALOT to learn!!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:55pm
post #6 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by debbie2881

How long does it take you guys to frost and simply decorate a 8'' round? I just want to know how much of an amature i am.

mmm, I am not sure. I haven't done a simple cake in a long time. It usually takes me a couple of hours to complete an 8 x 4, filled cake.

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:56pm
post #7 of 19

Don't worry Monica, I take a long time to do my cakes also. I have to walk away for a minute and come back to see what else needs to be done. I'm never quite satisfied so I think that's one reason it takes me so long.
Tabby

Monica0271 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica0271 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 8:08pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

Don't worry Monica, I take a long time to do my cakes also. I have to walk away for a minute and come back to see what else needs to be done. I'm never quite satisfied so I think that's one reason it takes me so long.
Tabby

Thanks. I know that I do have alot to learn I just had no idea how slow I was because I had nothing to compare it to. I love doing cakes so time for me means nothing. What matters to me is the end result!!

MariaLovesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MariaLovesCakes Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 8:12pm
post #9 of 19

You know, that you mentioned it, I am going to time myself. I usually look at the clock when I start getting the cakes ready like torting, soaking in simple syrup, brushing off crumbs, etc.

But to just ice it simply, I haven't timed myself. I have to do that. icon_smile.gif

doitallmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doitallmom Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 8:16pm
post #10 of 19

honestly, i've never thought to time myself and I love decorating so much, i have never even been aware of 'about' what time it was when I started, so i can't even guesstimate.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 8:17pm
post #11 of 19

all I know is everytime I make a cake it seems like I spend most of the entire day doing it........guess time flies when you're having fun!!! I'll have to time myself too sometime....I'll probably freak out once I realize how much of my life has actually gone into making cakes!!!! LOL

KimAZ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KimAZ Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 8:52pm
post #12 of 19

Holy moly! 10-20 min???
I AM slow!! Any cake I do never takes me less than 3-4 hours. And depending on the design, it's usually an all day affair for me. That does NOT include baking time. I count mixing batter, making frosting, coloring frosting, filling frosting bags, covering cake board, crumb coat, frosting cake, filling and/or torting cake, getting design on cake & doing borders. In between all that I'm cleaning as I go, washing dishes & tips as I go and I rarely stop for any breaks.

I suppose doing some of those steps ahead of time would help but I always do it all on the same day.
KimAZ

izzybee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
izzybee Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 8:59pm
post #13 of 19

My 10-15 minutes was only to decorate a cake with final coat, borders, some small details and writing. It does not include mixing, baking, chilling, torting, making the frosting, crumb coating, etc.

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 9:02pm
post #14 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by izzybee

My 10-15 minutes was only to decorate a cake with final coat, borders, some small details and writing. It does not include mixing, baking, chilling, torting, making the frosting, crumb coating, etc.

Me too!

rlm5150 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rlm5150 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 9:05pm
post #15 of 19
Quote:
Quote:

all I know is everytime I make a cake it seems like I spend most of the entire day doing it

Oh........this does sound like me.

prettycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prettycake Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 9:14pm
post #16 of 19

icon_smile.gifThat really depends on your design..Mine usually takes about 3-4 hours..I take my sweet time when I do it.. icon_smile.gif

debbie2881 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debbie2881 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 10:03pm
post #17 of 19

ok it takes me 45 mins to 1 hr just to frost, that includes crumb coat and final coat. if i counted baking and decorating its probably 3-4 hours which it took for my whipped cream buttercream practice in my gallery. i know its simple but it was my 1st time and that time includes mistakes and fixes and just trying to get things perfect. i hate when my frosting is not smooth, like last night i was frosting a cake for class and it took me like an hour because i kept seeing things that wasnt perfect. I have alot to learn.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 10:10pm
post #18 of 19

All of you who take 3-4 hours to decorate better feel good about yourselves because it takes me longer.

MustloveDogs Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MustloveDogs Posted 18 Apr 2006 , 10:23am
post #19 of 19

I would be between 1 and 4 hours decorating dependant on the design.
I am getting faster, but also more of a perfectionist which slows me down again! icon_lol.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%