Cake Is Due Tomorrow. Please Help Me Fix!

Decorating By HeatherDG Updated 15 Apr 2007 , 3:14am by Kitagrl

HeatherDG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HeatherDG Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:39am
post #1 of 16

I have a bridal shower cake due tomorrow and I really don't want to have to re-bake. icon_rolleyes.gif I made a White cake with the extender. I used a 1/2 cup of heavy cream as my liquid AND added 6 oz. of shredded white chocolate to make a white chocolate cake. My extra teeny cake is delicious. However it is a dense, moist, white chocolate-y cake that doesn't even need icing in my opinion. Crap. Now what?

What do a I fill it with to offset the rich taste? I tried it with raspberry preserves and it was just too much. What about icing? Could I use a whipped icing? I usually make almond flavored buttercream dream but that would be complete overkill on this cake.

The ingredients were expensive so I hate to toss it and start over.

15 replies
dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:43am
post #2 of 16

maybe you could try a lemon or lime filling? i find that the citrusy flavors provide a bit of relief from extra-rich cake.
whipped icing is an excellent idea. contrast of light and fluffy with the dense cake.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:45am
post #3 of 16

Is there some kind of stabilized whipped cream icing you can use? That would taste yummy....

jamiesue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jamiesue Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:52am
post #4 of 16

I made the WASC cake with raspberry preserves and buttercream dream and thought it was way too sweet. So the next time I made a white almond cake, I filled with raspberry Mouseline bc and frosted with plain Mouseline bc. It really helped with the richness and sweetness.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:17am
post #5 of 16

Whipped cream something will be perfect. You can ice with it as is, doesn't need any stabilization unless it is going to sit for a long time.

Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:29am
post #6 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelion

maybe you could try a lemon or lime filling? i find that the citrusy flavors provide a bit of relief from extra-rich cake.
whipped icing is an excellent idea. contrast of light and fluffy with the dense cake.

building on this suggestion:
orange flavor????

-----

or as several have suggested a whipped cream filling and icing --

tho' for the filling -- how about mixing in crushed or slivered ALMONDS, no extra sugar. would kick the almond flavor back up -- and since not sweetened and tend be a little on bitter side would probably cut the sweetness. (if you try this--do report back on the results, please!)

notjustcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
notjustcake Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:29am
post #7 of 16

definately whipped cream

ChristaPaloma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristaPaloma Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:31am
post #8 of 16

Whipped cream buttercream sounds just right for this one and maybe fill with a combo of whipped cream buttercream mixed with lemon or lime..

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:34am
post #9 of 16

When I think of white chocolate I think of coffee! Maybe you can make a moca whipped cream! (like Starbuck's) Just a thought! icon_lol.gif

JenniferL Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JenniferL Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:36am
post #10 of 16

I get a lot of compliments when I make the whipped cream icing on this site with the cream cheese in it. I mix fruit preserves or fruit icing with some of the icing to fill the cake. The cream cheese kind of cuts the sweetness a little too. Your white chocolate cake sounds yummy! thumbs_up.gif

HeatherDG Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:14am
post #11 of 16

Strangely enough I didn't add any almond extract to this cake so it's just straight white chocolate. I love all the suggestions so keep them coming. It's a 6" round baked in a 3" pan so it's tall and I will need to torte it. It is going to be the top tier in a cupcake tower that I made myself.

Thanks to all the suggestions here, I'm thinking of torting it twice and adding in thinly sliced fresh strawberries with a whipped cream frosting. Any thoughts on this? I could then garnish the top with a couple of white or dark chocolate dipped strawberries.

I need a good recipe for whipped cream frosting. Does anyone know of a good one? I've never done one before. One time I took heavy whipping cream and whipped it and then added a touch of rasperry preserves and it was amazing. Unfortunately 12 hours later the water had seeped out of it and made the bottom layer soggy. I can frost this cake about 4 hours before it will be served so it can hold I hope.

How do you frost the cake and decorate with whipped frosting??

Doug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:16am
post #12 of 16

strawberries???

Y E S ! ! !

(passing you a BIG plate so I can have a slice too!)

HeatherDG Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:23am
post #13 of 16

Thanks Doug! icon_biggrin.gif

I've looked up recipes on here for whipped frostings. Can you still put them in a piping bag to decorate with or is it a hopeless cause?

Doug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:34am
post #14 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeatherDG

I've looked up recipes on here for whipped frostings. Can you still put them in a piping bag to decorate with or is it a hopeless cause?

yes...tho' work fast so it doesn't melt.

the stabilized whipped cream ones will be easier to work w/ and last longer.

question: have anyplace hand to get Rich's Bettercreme or Pastry Pride?

these are both non-dairy whipped icings that come frozen and then you whip up at home -- very similar (if not exactly the same) as the whipped icing on store bought cakes.

(have heard from several, but still haven't tired myself -- that it's possible to use cool whip as an icing if serving the same day --- anyone else heard of or done this????)

HeatherDG Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:42am
post #15 of 16

I'm already imagining the nightmare this cake will be to cut. It's so dense that with torting with slippery fresh cut strawberries combined with a soft frosting... Oy. Well hopefully it will taste good and look okay prior to cutting. I'll remind the hostess to take the cake to the kitchen to cut by herself!

I haven't even considered what to make for the cupcakes yet. The bride to be's favorite cake combo and I quote, "Yellow cake from a box with canned chocolate frosting."

Gag. Just gag. I was hoping to use a variation of that for the cupcakes and at least make one yummy cake.

The only place I'll have access to in the morning will be a regular grocery store since it's Sunday. I will look for one of the frozen ones you mentioned while I pick up some unflavored gelatin as a stabilizer.

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:14am
post #16 of 16

I use Cool Whip on jello cake (you know where you bake a sheet cake and poke holes and pour in jello, makes a really moist slightly fruity flavored cake, yummy with Cool Whip!) and it holds up pretty well, of course I just ice it "Homestyle" without borders or decorations.

Has to be the name brand Cool Whip though, its stiffer than generic.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%