Anyone Ever Get Busted?

Business By lhayes1976 Updated 7 May 2007 , 12:38am by khoudek

tonyah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tonyah Posted 4 May 2007 , 6:19pm
post #61 of 63

I honestly think ruining a bride's wedding is going too far - I would not bleach a wedding cake, only food that was contaminated and being discarded. I would however tell the baker to stop and come see me about becoming legal. If they refused and kept on I would then cite them and go about getting a warrant and court date (we cannot fine where I inspect - it has to go to court and the judge fines them) and sort it from there. We have had to do that to a woman and she ended up getting legal but we had a huge legal battle with her. (sorry I ramble)

As for finding illegal bakers or caterers-I don't look for them but when you live in the same place you inspect, you are bound to attend some function or have someone ask about someone's inspection score and they aren't permitted. FWIW I don't attend weddings with bleach in tow. icon_wink.gif

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 4 May 2007 , 6:32pm
post #62 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolAnn

I guess I'm not understanding where these wedding are that inspectors are showing up at. Usually banquet halls and hotels have their rules about whether or not they will allow you to bring in cakes from outside source. When using them you ought to be told from the beginning whether or not you can do this. So an inspector can just pop in to a private party, with bleach bottle (and I'm picturing the gallon size here...lol) on them, and declare someone's wedding cake illegal/contaminated and destroy it?

Also, if it's a private family function or public place does that mean we can beat the poop out of them?!? Just kidding!!

We live in a city that grew by 35K just last year alone. Most of the banquet halls, hotels and country clubs are booked a couple of yrs ahead, but they do have rules on the outside food (probably scared of the inspectors - good on them, for the $ you pay they had better be up to standards!!) Alot of wedding receptions out here are being held at community halls and private homes, I even saw a few being held in public parks last year (new trend? I wonder what hoops you jump through for those permits?!) If somone were to pop up out of the crowd waving a gallon size jug of bleach - well I know my family would be beating the poop out of them - not to worry though, we would be sure to pour bleach over the poop - LOL!!
I hope that story is a legend, I would hate to believe somone is so self righteous that they would do that. I hope she didn't stick around for the dinner - lol!

khoudek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
khoudek Posted 7 May 2007 , 12:38am
post #63 of 63

Again, even if the bleach is poured on food in a dumpster, if some one who was homeless just saw the food and didn't realize that bleach was involved ( and yes many of these people wouldn't realize and they are forever eating out of dumpsters ) and tried to eat the food, can you imagine the chemical burns!?! I've taken care of some one who tried to kill himself by ingesting bleach. Not pretty!!! I think the health depts. that do this are inviting trouble. Bleach is a hazardous material that can maim or kill if not used properly and pouring it on food isn't its proper use.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%