Has Anyone Out There Ever Made An Ice Cream Cake?

Decorating By amiegirl Updated 15 Apr 2007 , 3:58am by cocakedecorator

amiegirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amiegirl Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 1:01am
post #1 of 7

I'd like to make one and just wondering if anyone has any special techniques?? Thanks!!

Amie

6 replies
cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:16am
post #3 of 7

I like to make my cake whatever flavor and I use the wilton cake pan that you can fill, I soften the icecream and add the fudge on top of the icecream, then frost it with the bettercreme icing, it tastes like dairy queens cake. Chocolate cake with the mint chip icecream is great with the thick fudge sauce in it with the bettercreme frosting. There are all sorts of combinations to try.

polliwawg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
polliwawg Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:21am
post #4 of 7

We used to make them at the store I worked at, we would just cut the cake as if we were filling it, then slice the ice cream into slices of even thickness and then put the cake back together and decorate like usual. If the ice cream starts to melt as you are decorating just put it in the freezer for a bit. We used the rectangle (Breyers, store brand) ice cream for our rectangle cakes and the circle ice cream (Dreyers, Edy's) for our round cakes. Sometimes we would have to cut a piece of ice cream in half or something to get the perfect fit...kind of like a puzzle.
good luck

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:27am
post #5 of 7

I like to soften the ice cream just a tad then press it into the same sized pan as my cake (lined in plastic wrap) and refreeze. This way I can work very quickly when assembling. Just stack, stack, stack. Make sure you ice it in whipped cream or some chemical soup whipped cream substitute because buttercream will be too hard when frozen.

Kazoot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kazoot Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 5:50am
post #6 of 7

I used to do it the same way polliwawg did where I used to work!!! One thing, though. I tried one for my daughter's birthday and the kids did not eat it. They ate the ice cream, but because the cake was frozen, they did not eat it.............HTH

cocakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cocakedecorator Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 3:58am
post #7 of 7

can you thaw it a few minutes before serving , just like you would a store bought ice cream cake? I remember as a kid getting the baskin robbins ice cream cake for our b-days and my ma would set it out a room temp for 20 minutes or so before serving. Would that work the same with a home made one?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%