Starting Out In Wedding Cakes

Decorating By hsmomma Updated 13 Apr 2007 , 11:13pm by JoAnnB

hsmomma Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hsmomma Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 8:00pm
post #1 of 3

Okay, I'm cheating...I cut and pasted this from another forum...
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I'm debating here about beginning to do wedding cakes. I've done a dozen or so in the past for family and friends (even a couple paid ones from family/friend referrals).
What is the best way to start out? I really would only like to do it to help "compensate" my addiction to decorating. Maybe five or six a year. Decorating gives me some "me" time and is a great outlet for my creative side. I am constantly dreaming up different cakes. And I truly believe if I spent ANY time practicing, I could become pretty good at it. I use to find it fun to do wedding cakes. I wouldn't want to do birthday cakes (like my kids) just because I spend too much money on them and could never make any profit!! LOL I spend ALOT of time planning out my kids cakes (I have 5 children). I buy lots of new "tools" and love to try out new things. However, I get little time to practice (because of those precious 5 kidsicon_wink.gif So, my plan is to spend the next year practicing as much as I can to see if this is a good fit for me. But, what I would really like is to have some "guinea pigs" to do wedding cakes for. Just simply for the cost of supplies and perhaps a small wage (just to get to buy more toolsicon_wink.gif So my question is, how do I find these guinea pig bride and grooms and is this a good plan or not???? I'd love nothing more than to practice for real. But, at the same time would want the bride and groom to know that I have limited experience. They in turn get a good deal on their cake (which definitely would be delicous ~ without a doubt), and I get the practice in.
Any thoughts?
Thanks!!

ps. By the way, my dh and I own a party store that has all the commercial ovens, vents, stainless steel tables, sinks, mixers and coolers. We are licensed by the HD for food preparation and sale. (In fact our last 3 inspections we scored 100%!!!!) So the actual facilities are in place ~ though I don't know that I want my practice couples to be regular customers ~

2 replies
caryl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caryl Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 8:11pm
post #2 of 3

OK- I'm reeeealy jealous! I wish I had that set up!
I think you just post a sign or make up fliers to have avail. in your shop and state that you will be expanding your services to now offer wedding cakes. Be up front with those who inquire, and maybe they are willing to take a risk of your inexperience IN THAT AREA in exchange for a reduced price. Don't sell yourself short though. A wedding cake is like any other cake you work very hard to decorate- maybe a little larger, maybe a little more intricate design, but YOU CAN DO IT!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 11:13pm
post #3 of 3

One good way to get in the practice is to do dummy cakes, then photograph them for your portfolio. clean it and start over.

Then you will have examples of your work to show prospective customers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%