Fondant On A Square Cake???

Decorating By loeE Updated 14 Apr 2006 , 10:44pm by marccrand

loeE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loeE Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:23am
post #1 of 7

I havent made this cake yet, but for it i need to but fondant on a square cake. Is there any difference from putting fondant on a square rather than a round?
Cause im afraid the edges will poof out wierd or something??

o, and is there any tips for a putting fondant on a square cake?

Thanks! icon_biggrin.gif

6 replies
southernbelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southernbelle Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:29am
post #2 of 7

I just did a 4 tiered wedding cake...all square with fondant. It is a little tricky on the corners. Get the top smoothed and then just take it one side and corner at a time. It helps to elevate the cake you are working on so that the fondant drapes and kinda hangs down. The one teacher I had said it is like smoothing out Miss Scarlett's skirt around her legs (in reference to the fondant on the corners.) Just take it nice and slow and work it in. You will be fine.

You might want to try a practice one first to get the hang of it. Myself I would rather do the rounds with fondant but the more squares you do the easier it gets.

imbkay13 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imbkay13 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:33am
post #3 of 7

There is a difference, I just did my first fondant covered cakes a couple weeks ago, I had problems with the corners of the square, ended up "wrapping like a gift box". I'm interested to hear how others do this.

Phoov Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Phoov Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 2:40am
post #4 of 7

I treat them basically the same....but as Southernbelle said, you just have to "worry" the corners smooth. And ditto on her suggestion to elevate the cake. It helps alot. Make sure that you have plenty of fondant rolled out......Square requires a little more because of the corners. Tho it's far from perfect....check out the purple fondant covered square cake in my gallery.

Good luck!

loeE Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
loeE Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 4:19am
post #5 of 7

Thanks! This sites AMAZING! icon_biggrin.gif

peanut2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peanut2 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 6:56am
post #6 of 7

Yes, you do the first two corners, then you smooth into the middle of that side. Then you do the next corner, smooth into the middle of that side, and so on around the cake.

marccrand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marccrand Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 10:44pm
post #7 of 7

Lay down the corners and then just work with the fondant to get the sides even. It's also a huge help to elevate the cake (on top of a mixing bowl or something) but since you're trying to drape the fondant over the cake, remember that your cakeboard will be the same as the table top if it's much larger than your cake. I like to have the cake on a board the same size as the cake, lay the fondant and then put it on the "pretty" cakeboard.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%