Gum Paste Question

Decorating By beckah78 Updated 15 Oct 2006 , 1:43am by cakelover888

beckah78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckah78 Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 9:59pm
post #1 of 8

Hi! I am new to these boards and a fairly new cake/cookie decorator.
I just have 1 question (for now! lol)
What is the easiest flower to make from gum paste? I really want to try making some of these but they look so hard! How do you shape them to look like real petals? Is there a tool?
Thanks and sorry if this is a dumb question.

7 replies
sweetsuccess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetsuccess Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 11:41pm
post #2 of 8

It's not a dumb question. I would say that forget-me-nots and violets were two of my easiest to learn. Each flower has its own technique, cutters, veiners and tools, although many overlap. Dusting the flowers with non-toxic petal dusts and chalks make then look life-like. Believe me, you can spend a fortune on quality gumpaste cutters, tools, and veiners. Why not start with the Wilton gumpaste starter kit? It comes with an instruction book, and lots of cutters.

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 11:44pm
post #3 of 8

I think it depends on the decorator, which one is easier. I had success with orchids and roses, not so much with carnations.

If you want a good place to start, the wilton gumpaste cutter set that comes with an instruction book is pretty good. It includes most of the basic cutters and tools. Even though they are plastic, they work good enough for starters.

There are gobs of books with more detail and photos, and cutters and presses in the thousands.
Once you try the simple version, then you can see what else you might want/need.

Karate Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Karate Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 8

I just got my kit and will try to make some flowers next week.
Kind of excited

dandelion Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dandelion Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 11:50pm
post #5 of 8

when making gumpaste flowers do you use pure gumpaste? or do you mix it with fondant or something?

IHATEFONDANT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHATEFONDANT Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 1:12am
post #6 of 8

Use gumpaste....you need the paste to dry hard so the flowers keep their shape.

beckah78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beckah78 Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 12:45pm
post #7 of 8

Thanks for the tips everyone! I did go out to Michael's last night and get that starter kit. I am anxious to try it out today!
The chalks and petal dust I could probably get at a cake supply store, right?
Thanks again!

cakelover888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakelover888 Posted 15 Oct 2006 , 1:43am
post #8 of 8

Hi fellow cake decorators icon_smile.gif

I have been making gumpaste flowers/leaves for about a year now and I must say I am addicted,,,they say admitting it is the first step right icon_smile.gif any how..I am now ready to expand on my skills..does anyone know of a site that gives information..tips.etc on petal dusting these gumpaste items?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%