Posted New Fondant Recipe!

Decorating By Renaejrk Updated 13 Apr 2007 , 6:31pm by Renaejrk

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 4:36pm
post #1 of 19

I have had so many requests for the fondant I use I decided I had to post it in the recipe section! It is called Michele Foster's delicious fondant - as she is the one who originally gave me the recipe! I only found out yesterday she's a fellow CC'er!

P.S. I also posted this announcement in the General section.

18 replies
ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:04pm
post #2 of 19

It's not coming up yet icon_sad.gif ...hopefully later?

SSCakeman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SSCakeman Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:09pm
post #3 of 19

I don't see it yet either, looking forward to it. Does it taste and work simular to MMF?

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:19pm
post #4 of 19

Do you have a link to it???

Renaejrk Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:21pm
post #5 of 19

Never done MMF - I've used this recipe for a couple of years. It tastes great to me! My kids want to eat it like candy, but I don't think it's overly sweet!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #6 of 19

You can find this recipe by going to the home page and type in fondant in the search section. Once this page comes up, go to the bottom of the page and click on "view all results for fondant in recipes". The recipe should be the first one there.

Cookie4 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cookie4 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #7 of 19

Renaejrkzz: If you have a few minutes, could you please cut/paste your recipe to this link/thread? Thanks so much!

Renaejrk Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:34pm
post #8 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cookie4

Renaejrkzz: If you have a few minutes, could you please cut/paste your recipe to this link/thread? Thanks so much!

I'd be glad to!! thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif I am so happy to share this recipe!

1/2 c milk
3 pk gelatin (6 tsp - for reference in case you wanted to 1/2 the recipe)
1 c corn syrup
3 Tbsp butter, unsalted
3 Tbsp glycerin (I get a big bottle so it's cheaper)
2 tsp vanilla (sometimes I use more)
dash salt (I don't when I use salted butter - it's cheaper)
3-4 lb powdered sugar, sifted (at least once)

- combine milk and gelatin & allow to firm
- cook over double boiler until gelatin is dissolved
- add remaining ingredients(except sugar) & cook until butter is almost
melted
- cool to lukewarm (I come back to it and stir periodically so it doesn't
form a "skin" on the top or get clumpy)
- strain into mixer containing 2 lb powdered sugar (one bag)
- mix slowly until just combined
- use dough hook, add several more cups of sugar, & mix on low until
combined
- continue to add sugar until it holds its shape on hook
- turn onto powdered sugar surface & knead
- wrap in oil painted plastic wrap and put in ziplock freezer bag
- let stand for 24 hours before using

I always coat my hands, counter, and rolling pin with shortening when I'm ready to use. I also have powdered sugar on hand to dust with if it seems sticky, to firm it up a little bit.

I know this seems like a long list, but it really isn't complicated. You basically are combining the liquids, then adding them to the sugar until it's the right consistency! I had to do it a couple of times to be able to tell when I had added enough powdered sugar. If it is too stiff, I just add a tiny bit of water, and use more shortening on my hands/counter/rolling pin and that helps to add more moisture and flexibility. Be careful when it's mixing not to let it get too hard, or it will be difficult to work with and you'll have to do a lot of "adjusting" to get it the consistency you want it! I would rather it be too soft and be able to add more powdered sugar as I knead.

PM me if you have any questions, or if you run into any problems! It's pretty easy once you get the hang of it !

step0nmi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
step0nmi Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:35pm
post #9 of 19

I just looked for the last 5 min. and I couldn't find it either! icon_sad.gif
Could you please give us a link? Thanks! icon_wink.gif

Renaejrk Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:39pm
post #10 of 19

I only posted the recipe late this morning, it may just take some time before it shows up! I know when SophieBelle said she posted her Jell-o fondant recipe it took some time before you could pull it up in the recipe section.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:43pm
post #11 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

I only posted the recipe late this morning, it may just take some time before it shows up! I know when SophieBelle said she posted her Jell-o fondant recipe it took some time before you could pull it up in the recipe section.

when i posted recipes a while back, it took almost a week to get them up icon_eek.gif

vie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vie Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:45pm
post #12 of 19

Tthanks renaejrk for the recipe.... going to try it now, i have 3 cakes to do.

Vie

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:46pm
post #13 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by butternut

You can find this recipe by going to the home page and type in fondant in the search section. Once this page comes up, go to the bottom of the page and click on "view all results for fondant in recipes". The recipe should be the first one there.

You really can find the recipe if you do this icon_biggrin.gif

greyhoundlover Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
greyhoundlover Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:48pm
post #14 of 19

Thanks! Can't wait to try it for my upcoming shower cake!

NikkiDoc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NikkiDoc Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:52pm
post #15 of 19

Has anyone ever tried the Jell-O fondant? I'll look it up, I've never seen it before! This recipe sounds really good, Renaejrk. I'm assuming that it is okay to keep at room temp? I've never tried rolled buttercream either, is this fondant similar to that?

misterc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
misterc Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:57pm
post #16 of 19

I used Renaejrk recipie today and I love it!!!!! Thanks for sharing!

nrctermite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nrctermite Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:00pm
post #17 of 19
Quote:

Quote:

You really can find the recipe if you do this icon_biggrin.gif

I just did it the search way from this forum screen search box and IT WORKED!! Thanks butternut. icon_lol.gif

auntiemcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntiemcakes Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:17pm
post #18 of 19

thank you so much for sharing this recipe. I had one heckuva night with my first try at MMF so I am looking for alternatives. Thanks again!

Renaejrk Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 6:31pm
post #19 of 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikkiDoc

Has anyone ever tried the Jell-O fondant? I'll look it up, I've never seen it before! This recipe sounds really good, Renaejrk. I'm assuming that it is okay to keep at room temp? I've never tried rolled buttercream either, is this fondant similar to that?

I am so excited that so many people are being blessed with this recipe! Michele (aka sugarflowers) was so sweet to give me this when I called her a couple of years ago, being ignorant about fondant along with other things.

I haven't tried the Jell-o fondant, as I have only wanted vanilla flavor recently - but it would be great for a cake you want a unique flavor for!

Yes - you can keep this at room temp, as long as you're not planning to keep it that way for a few weeks or something! I keep mine at room temp until I'm ready to use it, usually 3-4 days later, sometimes longer. If I make it a couple of weeks ahead, then I refrigerate it and then let it come to room temp before using it. I even have leftover colored fondant wrapped and in my freezer to use for future cakes, so I have less coloring to do when I need a small amount of green, pink, etc.!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%