Needed: Cake Ideas For A Mortician!

Decorating By puppysnurfles Updated 12 Jun 2007 , 2:32pm by marthajo1

puppysnurfles Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
puppysnurfles Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:06pm
post #1 of 33

Hey everyone, one of the secretaries from work is leaving to be a mortician down south and I need to make her a going away cake.

I was thinking cemetery...but I'm not certain.
-If someone could come up with something a little more creative, that'd be awesome.

Also, if I go with the cemetery thing, what would work as well as graham crackers for tombstones? I personally dislike graham crackers....but I can't think of another cookie/item that would cut and shape as well as them.

Thanks in advance!

Also- this is my first time to come to this site, and I'm already addicted!
-Samantha

32 replies
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:27pm
post #2 of 33

First: W E L C O M E ! ! ! ! ! ! !

(warning--> this site is addictive!)

--------------------------

Oh, boy! This could be fun.

If you haven't done it yet, take a gander at the galleries in particular the one for Halloween where you'll find lots of cemetery cakes.

For tombstones -- yes graham crackers would work -- but so would cookies such as ladyfingers, or fig newtons or vienna fingers or chocolate covered graham crackers.

------------------

but -- since this is for a mortician ---

other possibilities include:

casket or coffin cake (message possible for coffin cake -- Here's hopin' you're coffin up success)

or could do a take on the embalming table w/ a body laying on it -- covered discreetly by a sheet of course.

or a hearse

or a big floral display like at funerals -- to the dearly departed!

oh you can be so "evil" with this one.

have fun

come back for help if needed

and do post pics!
LL

sweetbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetbaker Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 3:30pm
post #3 of 33

The only thing I can think of is a cake in the shape of a coffin with flowers surrouding it.

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 9:37pm
post #4 of 33

if you go with the cemetery, make the tomb stones out of fondant, that way you can sculpt them to be whatever design you want. This cake could be a LOT of fun. I think I'd do a body completely covered in a sheet (toes hanging out?) on an exam table. Since the whole thing (sans toes) would be covered, you would just need to get the same right. The rest would be relatively simple.

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 11:13am
post #5 of 33

I think the body with the toes sticking out would be so cute! Don't forget to put a tag on one of the toes! icon_lol.gif

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 11:32am
post #6 of 33

I love the ideas with the body and the sheet with the tagged toe, if that doesn't say Mortician what does, please post a picture of whatever you decide to go with, icon_biggrin.gif

Doug Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 12:32pm
post #7 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanaC

if you go with the cemetery, make the tomb stones out of fondant, that way you can sculpt them to be whatever design you want. This cake could be a LOT of fun. I think I'd do a body completely covered in a sheet (toes hanging out?) on an exam table. Since the whole thing (sans toes) would be covered, you would just need to get the same right. The rest would be relatively simple.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manderfrog

I think the body with the toes sticking out would be so cute! Don't forget to put a tag on one of the toes! icon_lol.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by debster

I love the ideas with the body and the sheet with the tagged toe, if that doesn't say Mortician what does, please post a picture of whatever you decide to go with, icon_biggrin.gif

SOUR GRAPES VENT!!!! this is Not the first, nor I am sure the last time, this has happened.

well gee, just ignore the fact that in my post I suggested the body on the exam table and covered with a sheet -- ok so I missed the toes and tag --

but answer me this -- why do women so ignore men then get all over our case if we dare ignore you?

and mods -- delete this if you wish -- I'm just getting fed up w/ my posts being treated as if they didn't even exist by so many on here!!!!!!

cakes47 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakes47 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 12:50pm
post #8 of 33

Doug ~
I think you're terrific and get such joy and good ideas from reading all of your input. You're one of the best here at CC. You have my vote of confidence 'FOR SURE'!!! icon_smile.gif

Now, back to more ideas: How about an urn for the ashes, you can always put flowers to perk it up.
Please post pic of your end creations!!
Good Luck . . and a BIG FRIENDLY WELCOME

LanaC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LanaC Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 1:11pm
post #9 of 33

Doug, my comment was to point out that I LIKED your idea. No, I didn't say, I liked Doug's idea of a body on the table covered in a sheet with toes - mea culpa. Sheesh.

debster Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debster Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 3:39pm
post #10 of 33

Doug, I also like your idea the hearse is great, anyway I usually don't post names cause I forget names badly and don't want to offend, but guess I offended anyway. SORRY, I wouldn't ignore or hurt anyone on purpose. I love EVERYONE and their work!!!!!!!!

crystalina1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crystalina1977 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 3:51pm
post #11 of 33

my only hope is to one day have a question about what to do with a cake and be lucky enough to have Doug answer my call...Doug not only comes up with cake suggestions, but also sayings, ingredients, sketches, etc, etc...the full service answer. Thanks Doug for being so helpful.

and obviously i'm not because i have in no way answered this question.
Crissy usaribbon.gif

manderfrog Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manderfrog Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 3:51pm
post #12 of 33

Doug--I was referring to your idea when I made my comment. I am new and suck at quoting. I'm sorry if you felt that we overlooked your idea. Your ideas are the best, and your drawings are always so helpful. icon_redface.gif

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 3:52pm
post #13 of 33

if you want you can make cookies shaped like tomb stones and then use poured cookie icing on them to cover them. you can even use the frozen ready to bake cookies,

KittyPTerror Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KittyPTerror Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 4:55pm
post #14 of 33

Peppridge Farm Milano cookies- cut in half- make great tombstones. And they don't taste nasty.

Doug Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 9:32pm
post #15 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPTerror

Peppridge Farm Milano cookies- cut in half- make great tombstones. And they don't taste nasty.

great idea'

except

in my case ---

would have to pry them out of my mouth first --

as if any would ever make it on the cake!

(when I lived in NYC -- one of the WORST things was having to drive up the highway that went right by their factory.... oh the torture of smelling fresh baked cookies for miles!

marthajo1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marthajo1 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 9:49pm
post #16 of 33

Doug! I am so sorry your feelings were hurt! There are several people who when I see their name come up I atomatically click in to see what they said! You are one of those! Im like oooh what is he going to come up with this time!!! They are always so good!

cakes47 Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #17 of 33

How about doing a horse shoe shaped cake loaded with flowers and a ribbon draped across it saying something like, ''We'll miss YOU''. Or a more daring, "People will die to meet YOU''!!!

Keep smiling, it makes life more fun!!!

Doug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:04am
post #18 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by cakes47

How about doing a horse shoe shaped cake loaded with flowers and a ribbon draped across it saying something like, ''We'll miss YOU''. Or a more daring, "People will die to meet YOU''!!!

Keep smiling, it makes life more fun!!!

ROFLMTO* --- that second quote is just sooooo funny and SOOOOOOO perfect!!!

(* T for tookus or tooky)

lecrn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lecrn Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:36am
post #19 of 33

Love the idea of the body covered with toe tag.
If you go with the cemetry, maybe a grave hole in the center, pile of dirt, shovel, and maybe a coffin beside the hole. As suggested, you could add funeral flower sprays.
"Death becomes her"
"Sorry you're departing"

please post a pic!

DiscoLady Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DiscoLady Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 1:36am
post #20 of 33

Love the horse shoe idea too. How about "It'll be dead around here without you."
You could also do lillies on a more traditional cake too.

Doug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:14am
post #21 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by lecrn

"Death becomes her"

another great saying....

I wonder -- would it be possible to use the two ladies from the movie "Death Becomes Her"

that could be really funny -- one w/ head backwards -- one w/ hole in the middle --

and a mortician trying to figure out how to make "repairs"

cakes47 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:20am
post #22 of 33

You're going to get me laughing till my sides hurt!! What a hoot that would be!!! I can just picture it!!

Good night all as I laugh myself to sleep!!!

Doug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:28am
post #23 of 33

hmmmm....

put them all together?

mortician standing between two gurneys --

on one the lady w/ head backwards -- face UP so her front is down.

on the other the one w/ the hole in the middle.

both fully clothed like in movie.

between them they're holding the horseshoe floral w/ the "death becomes her" on it

message could be the "people are just dying to meet you!"

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 2:49am
post #24 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyPTerror

great idea'

except

in my case ---

would have to pry them out of my mouth first --

as if any would ever make it on the cake!

(when I lived in NYC -- one of the WORST things was having to drive up the highway that went right by their factory.... oh the torture of smelling fresh baked cookies for miles!

Both Doug and KittyPTerror took the words right out of my mouth, All I could think of those little cookies, what are their names, I want some NOW! Milano's thanks KittyP
Doug, you had wonderful Ideas, you always have great Ideas, we must just take you for granted, so we need to give credit were credit is due GREAT IDEAS!
Dont forget the little cube pillow under the head. You could also have some tubes and collection bottles to the side or have a backdrop to your cake. Like the soda Stand Pictures that came up today and have stuff on the background... ok a little morbid... Sorry worked in a Funeral Home a couple of life times ago (college) and those guys liked to scare me to death, no pun intended LOL.

Well Good Luck with the cake.

Doug Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:20pm
post #25 of 33

just had an "evil" idea --

take gateaux's idea of adding the bottles and tubes...
but to the extreme!

so -- we've got fondant figures of mortician, gurneys w/ bodies, the horseshoe and...

top of cake looks like floor - tile --w/ little drains in it.

OH no! some of the tubes are dripping straight onto the floor --
some bottle have spilled their guts.
little puddles here and there --

but wait --

make it a POKE CAKE -- the kind where you poke holes and the pour in colored jello or some kind of colored liquid to add more flavor and interest.

and of course the colors poured in this time match the colors of the drips and spills.

cakes47 Posted 15 Apr 2007 , 12:39pm
post #26 of 33

PERFECT!!!!!!! That poke hole is the finishing touch!! What a brain!!! OH!! Put that in a jar too!!! icon_biggrin.gif

LittleLinda Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LittleLinda Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 12:27pm
post #27 of 33

She is leaving your company as a secretary to become a mortician? That's surely a career change.

All these mortitian ideas are cute; but remember the cake is a goodbye to her from your office. You might also consider depicting what she has done for your office. Try to think, too, of something to depict what she will remember about her old job. maybe a funny incident, or an accomplishment she has achieved.

gailsgoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gailsgoodies Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 1:47pm
post #28 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalina1977

my only hope is to one day have a question about what to do with a cake and be lucky enough to have Doug answer my call...Doug not only comes up with cake suggestions, but also sayings, ingredients, sketches, etc, etc...the full service answer. Thanks Doug for being so helpful.

and obviously i'm not because i have in no way answered this question.
Crissy usaribbon.gif

YEAH! What she said!! DOUG RULES!!! thumbs_up.gif

Sorry! I really DON'T have any ideas of my own! icon_wink.gificon_rolleyes.gif

maladymay Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
maladymay Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 7:39pm
post #29 of 33

hahaha! Doug, you're hilarious! You always have fabulous ideas, though! icon_biggrin.gif

mom23kids Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom23kids Posted 16 Apr 2007 , 10:48pm
post #30 of 33

Doug...you always have great ideas....you've been there for me in sucha short time I've been here...thanks!
P.S. I kinda thought the toes sticking out and the tag are geared toward the medical examiner...or am I being too cynical? Either way..everyone's ideas are awesome and I can't wait to see what she picks.....just my 2c worth. tapedshut.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%