Forgot To Add Oil To The Cake - Now What??

Decorating By candygirl Updated 24 Apr 2014 , 5:40pm by Elpida

candygirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
candygirl Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 4:08pm
post #1 of 26

I made 2 1/4 sheet cakes for delivery tomorrow - one chocolate, one yellow cake. As I was putting the cakes into the oven, I realized I forgot to add the oil to yellow cake. Funny part is, the yellow cake without the oil rose nicely and looks perfect. The chocolate one sank and looks like a shriveled mess.

Can I serve the one without oil? Has anyone done this before? I do have time to make another one, but it looks so nice and pretty, I can't imagine it tastes bad, but not sure that's a risk I'm willing to take because it is for my friend's daughter's 1st birthday!

I am such a bonehead!

25 replies
mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 4:21pm
post #2 of 26

They will be fine! My mother never used oil in her cakes!

meghan89 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
meghan89 Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 4:21pm
post #3 of 26

Im sorry, I dont know what to tell ya!! But, because the oil is not in there, even though on the surface it may look ok, I would be afraid that it would be dry!! Wish I was more help! Good Luck!

candygirl Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 4:28pm
post #4 of 26

*sigh* this is all my husband's fault because he was watching Amazing Race last night and kept asking me to keep it down so I was trying to hurry. Next time, I'm kicking him out when I make cakes!

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 4:31pm
post #5 of 26

If you level it, taste some of the scraps. If it's a little dry, use some simple syrup, it should be ok. icon_wink.gif

candygirl Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 4:34pm
post #6 of 26

That's what I was thinking, too! Thanks for the idea!

Lemondrop Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lemondrop Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 10:35pm
post #7 of 26

It will be fine. My sister never adds the oil, and her cakes are yummy!

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by candygirl

*sigh* this is all my husband's fault because he was watching Amazing Race last night and kept asking me to keep it down so I was trying to hurry. Next time, I'm kicking him out when I make cakes!

Yeah hubby!!!! The Amazing race rocks!!!!! I LOVE that show.

Sorry about your cakes. Hope they turned out ok.

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:17pm
post #9 of 26

Just to let you know I NEVER add the oil to my cakes and I get compliments on how moist they are! Just think.....lower fat cakes!

Kelly10176 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kelly10176 Posted 17 Apr 2006 , 7:22pm
post #10 of 26

I stopped using the oil in my cakes about a year ago. Instead I use butter. Turns out sooooooo much better too.

ksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksgirl Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:25pm
post #11 of 26

Are you guys referring to box cake mixes or scratch?

BayouGatorFan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BayouGatorFan Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:33pm
post #12 of 26

I always omit the oil in my box cake mixes. I can always taste (feel) it when I eat it. With all of the extras I add, moistness is never an issue for me.

YumFrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumFrosting Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:34pm
post #13 of 26

gibson & lemondrop,
When you say you (and your sister) never add the oil, are you adding anything else (like applesauce) to replace it? Can you let me know if you do anything else special to the mix besides leave out the oil, for it to turn out so moist and tasty. I'd love to make a "healthier" cake too!

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 7:36pm
post #14 of 26

I never use oil in my cakes nor do I add anything to replace it. This came up in a post last week or at the beginning of this week, if you search the forums there were some good posts on the subject.

I also responded there with a long story about how oil ended up in cakes when the flour industry bought the oil producing companies. blah, blah, blah

And oil ended up on the cake mix box. I will try to find it and post.

pinkopossum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pinkopossum Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 8:56pm
post #15 of 26

I don't use oil either - hope you find that post Ladi

swrlmr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
swrlmr Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 10:25pm
post #16 of 26

Hi,

I stopped using oil in my Duncan Heinz mixes as right after they added it to the mix years & years ago. I never follow the instructions on the back of the box for the ingredients. We actully contacted Duncan Heinz Co. (years ago) and they gave us the equivalent ingredients to add to make it work. It actully is just as moist, if not moister! It is 1 & 1/3 cup water and only 2 eggs. That's it! icon_smile.gif It not only keeps the fat down, reduces the eggs and cost too. icon_smile.gif Try it! icon_biggrin.gif

Ladivacrj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladivacrj Posted 21 Apr 2006 , 10:33pm
post #17 of 26

Found it

This is the link, scroll down to cake mixes. It tells you about the mix only taking water and when the eggs were added to the mix.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cake#Cake_mixes

Hope this helps a little

gibson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gibson Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 3:46am
post #18 of 26

Hi YumFrosting:

I only add 2 eggs and 1.5 cups of water and no oil and I don't substitute anything for the oil. Everybody loves the cakes their so moist and light!

Happy baking icon_biggrin.gif

Tammy

edited to add:
Oh I forgot to mention that I only use Betty Crocker cake mixes!

butternut Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
butternut Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 3:57am
post #19 of 26

WOW, very interesting. Just have to try this out. No oil. Who woulda thunk it???????

YumFrosting Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
YumFrosting Posted 22 Apr 2006 , 4:01am
post #20 of 26

Thanks for the input everyone! I am going to try the no oil way, and see how it turns out. It sounds great!

ksgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ksgirl Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 4:11am
post #21 of 26

Just want to say I made a Devil's food cake from DH w/o oil and it came out great!

I just read the part of the article that says BC had first introduced their cake mix that instructed the user to only add water. Now I wonder- has anyone tried making one of these cakes mixes with water only? Hmmm???

SANDRAAMADOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANDRAAMADOR Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 4:20am
post #22 of 26

thank you all for your information I will also will try it with out oir icon_smile.gif

SANDRAAMADOR Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SANDRAAMADOR Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 4:21am
post #23 of 26

sorryyyyyyyyyyy oil not oir

mushbug9 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mushbug9 Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 4:25am
post #24 of 26

I tried a couple of cakes this week with no oil and I have to saw there wasn't much difference. The devils food cake was a but drier but I also think it may have been slightly overcooked so that doesn't really count. Thank You for the info. ANy prices I can cut out of my cakes I want to.

mjones17 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjones17 Posted 28 Apr 2006 , 4:31am
post #25 of 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by ksgirl

Just want to say I made a Devil's food cake from DH w/o oil and it came out great!

I just read the part of the article that says BC had first introduced their cake mix that instructed the user to only add water. Now I wonder- has anyone tried making one of these cakes mixes with water only? Hmmm???

Have you ever had an Easy Bake Oven Cake? That is just adding water not very yummy thumbsdown.gif

Elpida Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Elpida Posted 24 Apr 2014 , 5:40pm
post #26 of 26

ANormally I make cakes the old fashioned way (without a mix). When I'm in a hurry I use a mix. Yesterday I made a chocolate cake and forgot the 1/2 cup of oil. The cake was wonderful and very moist! I was shocked. I served it to our guests with a "home made" chocolate icing. One of our guests asked if I'd mind giving her the recipe! So I did. She said she'll never add oil to her cake mixes again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%