Wonder Mold Baking Tips?

Decorating By LoriMc Updated 14 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm by bobwonderbuns

LoriMc Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LoriMc Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:07pm
post #1 of 17

I am making a mermaid cake this weekend with the wonder mold. I use it on average once every 2 years, so I need some refreshing. Seems I always have a hard time cooking it evenly. Seeing as you can get flower nails in there, any suggestions on baking time, temp or other tricks you have used with it?

16 replies
twindees Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
twindees Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 6:24pm
post #2 of 17

Even with the heating core in the middle you still had problems?

LoriMc Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:39pm
post #3 of 17

bumping myself!!!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:43pm
post #4 of 17

I baked one last night and have made quite a few of them. It just seems to me like it takes a bit longer than the 50-60 minutes to get the top middle cooked thoroughly. I don't have a solution but I am interested to see what other people say....

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:47pm
post #5 of 17

Any of the 3D pans you buy will require a longer cooking time and make sure to use the heating core. What helps is if you have the conical heating core add cake mix in the center.

Omicake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Omicake Posted 12 Apr 2007 , 11:49pm
post #6 of 17

You didn't answer Twindees about the heating core that comes with the Wonder Mold. I hope you still have it.

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 12:01am
post #7 of 17

My girlfriend borrowed my mold years ago and lost the heating core that came with it. I just bake mine without anything in the middle. I bake it at a lower temp and bake it a little longer.

Diane

LoriMc Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 12:05am
post #8 of 17

I do have the heating core that goes in the middle. I also have the larger wilton heating core. Is there some way to use it with the wonder mold?

LoriMc Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:09pm
post #9 of 17

bumping

sun33082 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sun33082 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:15pm
post #10 of 17

Lori,

Do you bake at 350 or 325? I bake it at 325 and really don't have any problems. I've been tempted to lower the temp even more cuz the outside does get a little too dark for my liking.

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:21pm
post #11 of 17

Lori, use the tall skinny heating core that comes with the wonder mold pan and bake it at 325 longer (it can take up to 1 1/2 hours depending on the cake.)

mrsb37 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsb37 Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 5:28pm
post #12 of 17

Heating core is a must.

Use some extra baking time.

Grease with crisco and flower (no spray)

Allow to cool thoroughly before turning out.

These tips have worked for me - Good luck! (Post pics!) icon_smile.gif

Iheartcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Iheartcake Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 7:24pm
post #13 of 17

I posted a similar question last week. Someone suggested that near the end of the baking time, cover the cake with tinfoil. I had mine in at 350 for about an hour. I put the tinfoil on for about the last 15minutes and it came out great! First time it wasn't rock hard around the edges.

LoriMc Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 7:29pm
post #14 of 17

Thanks for the tips. It's in the oven at 325. I will check it after about 40 min. and will add tinfoil to the top to see if it helps. I used the cake mix doctor recipe for butter cake and I noticed the instructions for the pan said you should have 5 1/2 - 6 cups of batter. I would guess I only had 4 1/2. Hopefully it will turn out ok. Like I said, it's been about 2 years since I used the wonder mold, and I always remember having problems with overcooking. I'll let you know how it turns out!

cambo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cambo Posted 13 Apr 2007 , 9:35pm
post #15 of 17

Yes, please let us know how it turns out! Last time I used the pan to make my Shrek cake, I had to bake him twice as I had problems with uneven baking, center not being done or "falling", and the outside edges being rock hard! I don't think I turned the temp down though....and I just got a request for a Barbie cake....so I'll use your advice!

LoriMc Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 12:29am
post #16 of 17

Hey cami! The cake came out the best it ever has. I cooked it at 325 for 40 min, then added the tinfoil over the top. I then proceeded to cook it for an additional 17 minutes or so. It didn't look really overcooked this time. I think the tinfoil helped a lot. It is kinda small though. I didn't measure the height, but of course it would never work with a real Barbie. My recipe was only about 4 1/2 c of batter, so if your recipe has more batter it will probably be taller and take longer to cook of course! I hope two 8" cakes will make it tall enough. We shall see!

bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 14 Apr 2007 , 3:36pm
post #17 of 17

If you want to use it with a real Barbie, make a 9 x 3 cake to go underneath. That's what I'm doing with the doll cake I'm making this weekend. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%