Need Help With Mother-In-Law's Birthday Cake...

Decorating By nikim Updated 14 Apr 2006 , 12:19pm by Crimsicle

nikim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikim Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:44pm
post #1 of 14

At the end of March I made my nephew's 1st brithday cake and my father-in-law's 65th birthday cake, so now I feel that I need to make my mother-in-law an equally nice cake.

Any thoughts?

And the bigger issue is finding something that 6 adults agree on. My brother-in-law doesn't like cream cheese or peanut butter, my mother-in-law tries to not eat a lot of chocolate and my husband and I are not fans of fruit fillings. My nephew's cake was yellow with butter cream filling and I made a cookies-n-cream cake for my father-in-law.

And suggestions on a cake filling that I could use that would please everyone?

13 replies
MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 14

Whipped cream frosting? If she likes strawberries, how about a nice white cake with (real) whipped cream frosting and sliced fresh strawberries decorating the top?

Deb

nikim Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:55pm
post #3 of 14

that sounds good.

i also have a recipe for a french-vanilla cake with raspberry filling.

do you think she would be upset if she didn't get a decorated cake?

laneysmom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laneysmom Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:56pm
post #4 of 14

Personally, I'm partial to adding lemon curd to IMBC, but if you don't like fruit fillings...How about almond or white chocolate buttercream?

nikim Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:13pm
post #5 of 14

you guys are from NJ, me too. i'm in morris county.

If I can I want to stay away from chocolate so my little nephew who is 13 months old can have some too. They don't want him having chocolate until he is 2.

The almond icing is an idea, she loves almonds.

I just want to make it special for her because she does so much for the family and she always puts other people first, and never takes time for herself.

Noelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noelle Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 3:56am
post #6 of 14

Sorry, I don't have any good suggestions for you. I just wanted to tell you that your nephews and father in laws cakes were awesome! Great job on them. I'm sure you will do a great one for her too. Good luck with whatever you decide.

momsandraven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
momsandraven Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 10:00pm
post #7 of 14

How does coconut strike you? I had a mom-2-be request a coconut flavored cake, coconut frosting and coconut filling. I thought, hmmn, must be one of those prego cravings, but then I tasted some of the scraps- it was pretty good! I added coconut extract to a white cake mix, and the frosting. For the filling, I made the 'coconut-pecan frosting I' from the recipe section on this site, and left out the pecans. It was awesome.

As far as decor, I made a birdhouse cake last year for Mother's Day that my MIL still raves about. (It's in my pics)
I'm sure that whatever you do, the care that you put in to it will make it shine! icon_smile.gif

nikim Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 3:13pm
post #8 of 14

sounds interesting.

i ran ideas past her and all she wants is ice cream! so i'm making brownies and buying all the fixins for sundeas. how boring....

Noelle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Noelle Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 14

Can you make an ice cream cake? That wouldn't be boring at all.

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 7:03pm
post #10 of 14

ooh you know what would be really good..........could sneak in some chocolate LOL I made a white chocolate raspberry cake with white chocolate, raspberry cream cheese icing.....so good!!!! It was basically just a white cake mix with 6oz. of white chocolate melted and cooled added to it and a couple tsp. of raspberry extract and the icing was a basic cream cheese icing with 1tsp. of the extract and 6 more oz. of melted white chocolate it was soooooo yummy, it's in my photos if you wanna look...I decorated the top with candy clay chocolate roses....they were really good too. It's a nice mild flavor but very delicious

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 7:07pm
post #11 of 14

Well there is always two MIL camps, the kind you want to bend over backwords and please or the kind that you get what you get and don't look a gift horse in the mouth camp. LOL

Sometimes, people don't understand how wonderful your creation can be until the receive it!

I guess I belong to the MIL camp of not looking a gift horse in the mouth.

In otherwords - your cakes are too pretty to end up making brownies and ice cream. And if you made me one of your pretty cakes as my DIL, I would not complain about the gift horse by looking into it's mouth and checking the teeth!

KHalstead Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KHalstead Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 7:11pm
post #12 of 14

hey Nikim I'm in Gloucester County........Jersey Rocks!!!!! LOL

nikim Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 12:15pm
post #13 of 14

I made a similar white chocolate raspberry cake for my husband's two grandmother's birthday - it was so good.

Thanks for all the help! In the end she will be getting ice cream and brownies tomorrow night. She's just the type of person who doesn't like other people making a big fuss over her. For her 65th we are already planning a party - then she will get a big fancy cake.

Crimsicle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crimsicle Posted 14 Apr 2006 , 12:19pm
post #14 of 14

I'm a big believer in providing people what they want for their birthday. We always got to choose our cake and the menu for dinner that night. BIG deal in our house! If all she wants is ice cream, give her the best darn ice cream you can come up with. And if others are expecting cake, then do whatever has been a big hit before. They aren't keeping a list of what's been served when. Everyone will be happy.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%