Icer Tip Question

Decorating By llj68 Updated 3 May 2005 , 7:49am by blessBeckysbaking

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 11:44am
post #1 of 13

Really quick. I used it for the first time last weekend. I've been practicing ever since and I'm still having the same problem.

It seems like the icing doesn't want to "stick" to the cake. When I got to smooth it--it comes up and then I end up with crumbs.

Now mind you--I'm part of the slap and spread crowd (that's how Wilton taught it back in the "day") so this is all new to me.

I've finally gotten the pressure and speed right but it's still not wanting to stick.

Any suggestions?

TIA!!! (Thanks in advance.)

Lisa

12 replies
Lisa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Lisa Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 12:55pm
post #2 of 13

You could try thinning the icing down a bit. That should help it stick to the cake and smooth easier.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 7:01pm
post #3 of 13

Not really sure what causes this. I use pretty firm pressure when i go over it with my spatula, ad don't usually have a problem.

cakeconfections Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeconfections Posted 26 Apr 2005 , 7:03pm
post #4 of 13

Even if you use a lot of pressure with a spatula, icing that is too think will not stick to your cake. I would thin your icing.

blessBeckysbaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blessBeckysbaking Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 10:38am
post #5 of 13

the tip only work for me for the CCcakes guess becuse there are no sides to do

llj68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
llj68 Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 10:43am
post #6 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by blessBeckysbaking

the tip only work for me for the CCcakes guess becuse there are no sides to do

Actually--I really liked it for the sides. It was the top that I had all kinds of problems with. I ended up with crumbs, which is something that has NEVER happened to me before and I never crumb coat any cake that I make.

Like I said--I guess I just need to practice with it. I can see where it is a really nice tip in theory--it was much quicker to get the icing on the cake. But it took me about 3 times as long to try and smooth it and it never really looked "that" great.

I fear change-I guess. LOL!

Lisa

veejaytx Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
veejaytx Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 11:04am
post #7 of 13

I have only tried this tip once and didn't particularly like it...maybe for the sides and especially on the character pans, but for the top I think I also prefer the "slap and spread" method. It seems to me there was a lot of waste and mess with all that icing down in that big tip that you can hardly get out.

melodyscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
melodyscakes Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 6:30pm
post #8 of 13

before the icer tip, i ALWAYS had crumbs in my frosting, then i would have to figure out how to hid them...ususlly with leaves or something.
and practice!!!! first when i used the icer tip my frosting was too thick and it fell right off.....so then i thinned it down alot, it also fell right off. i decided to try one more time and use a thin/med. consistancy and it worked perfect for me!! last night i made my first cake without crumbs anywhere!!
good luck!
one more thing i would add about the way that you presently do it with your spactula....."if it aint broke, why fix it?" meaning that if your way already works, you've achieved alot more than most of use beginners so i would keep doing it.
good luck!

NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 6:37pm
post #9 of 13

I just tried my icer tip for the first time this afternoon. LOVE IT! No crumbs and done in half the time it usually takes me. Of course I am a newbee so that isn't saying much. LOL

diane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
diane Posted 28 Apr 2005 , 7:19pm
post #10 of 13

i've tried that icer tip and had the same problem, so i don't really use it any more, except for the sides. i guess my icing was too thick also.

blessBeckysbaking Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 8:45am
post #11 of 13

I guess like everything else with cake decorating we just have to pratice

cakegal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakegal Posted 29 Apr 2005 , 12:23pm
post #12 of 13

I use the icer tip if I think about it...I never had any problems with it...
If I'm making several cakes...I use the icer tip...goes real fast for me...If I'm just doing one cake...I usually don't use it...
I just use a thinner consistency of icing...not too thin though...
Hope this helps you.
cakegal

blessBeckysbaking Posted 3 May 2005 , 7:49am
post #13 of 13

I am gonna try to thin out my icing a little and try the tip then.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%