Wilton Class Concerns.....(Long)

Decorating By inkyonne Updated 11 Apr 2006 , 12:50pm by chocolate1

inkyonne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inkyonne Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:46am
post #1 of 11

I have been waiting for my local Michaels to offer the Wilton classes for about a month. So I was very excited when the new classes were posted. It was a sign up and meet the teacher and get 20% off your supplies day. My friend and I signed up for the class and were told where to go in the store to meet the teacher. She had a table set up with a couple of dummy cakes on them. One being the clown cake, and the other a wedding cake. I asked the teacher about the begining class and what we would be learning, and she open the Wilton book and started looking though it trying to figure out what cakes will be made. Then she answered me "well what ever you want to make." I have now learned that they are having trouble finding people to teach classes and She just finished class #3. I was really hoping to find a teacher with some background in cake decorating. What should I do???

10 replies
tracy702 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracy702 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:59am
post #2 of 11

I would look into taking a cake decorating course through a culinary school or community college or community center. I agree - that instuctors should be a little more experienced. I am a pastry chef and have taught Wilton courses since 1999 and I see that often people complete course 3 and decide to teach, even though they themselves have only been decorating for three months. Some have the gift, but that is only some. Good Luck finding a class. You might even try asking your local cake supply store if they could suggest someone.

barbaranoel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
barbaranoel Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:00am
post #3 of 11

I would say if you're not comfortable, then ask for a refund and look around for other classes

Barb

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:02am
post #4 of 11

You know, I had a course 1 teacher very much the same as this one, except I didn't know about her "lack of experience" until after the course was over. (She had just finished course 3 when she started teaching). I had already been self teaching myself for several years when I finally took this class so the first class came quite easy for me.

I continued taking the classes, hoping I would learn something I didn't already know. The day we learned how to do roses, I saw her make one and she was very slow at it and she ended up with a flat rose. She blamed it on the icing. I whipped out about 3 roses and she said "what are you doing in this class? You already know how to do these!" I told her I was hoping to learn something I didn't know yet.

The last day of the session when we were to take in our completed cakes, was the day I got to see her "mini" portfolio. I couldn't believe the cakes I saw in her book!! To me it looked like she needed to take her own classes over again and gain some experience!!

Needless to say, I was quite disappointed in the class. The only thing I really gained (besides a few pounds from eating cake!!!) was some expensive supplies which I found out later I didn't need many of the things they have you buy!

I didn't go on with the next two courses after that. (She was teaching those too). I just went to work at a bakery and learned a LOT more AND got paid for it!!!

Is this the only Michaels near you? Have you looked into any other places that might give lessons? I know JCPenny's used to hold lessons at one time. Maybe you could look around some more? Too bad you don't live closer to me or I'd give you lessons for free!!!!

I hope everything works out for you and your friend.

Sorry this was long!!!
blessings,
elly

steplite Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
steplite Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:08am
post #5 of 11

I feel you. I believe you're right about Michaels needing teachers. I had a teacher who had just finshed course three. I was not at all satisfied with her classes. She went on maternity leave and Michaels waited until she returned before they started another class. I had planned to take the classes again hoping for a different teacher. Now I'm taking everything all over at JoAnns fabrics. The teacher is great and I'm glad I didn't just give up and not go back. I wish you must luck and happy decorating.

inkyonne Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inkyonne Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:11am
post #6 of 11

Elly you are so sweet & your cakes are jaw dropping beautiful. I wish you lived close because I would love to take lessons from you!! icon_biggrin.gif

ellyrae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ellyrae Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:22am
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyonne

Elly you are so sweet & your cakes are jaw dropping beautiful. I wish you lived close because I would love to take lessons from you!! icon_biggrin.gif

icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif Thank you so much icon_redface.gificon_redface.gif I've had lots of practice, practice, practice!! Of course anyone who decorates (or does anything crafty or artistic) always feels that they have room to grow in improvements! Your interest is there so I have a feeling that you will go on to succeed!!!
Best to you!
thumbs_up.gif elly icon_biggrin.gif

wespam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wespam Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 11:13am
post #8 of 11

We live in an instant world. I thought the same thing when I signed up for Course I last month. My teacher is very inexperieced also. I guess I expected to just be able to magicaly decorate any cake after taking a few classes. I stuck with it and learned you have to jump in there with both feet and practice, practice and learn all you can on your own no matter how much the teacher knows. You are only there for 2 hours. I'm in Course II now and love it. I always take home some hint or tip that I did not know from viewing this web site and I enjoy the other girls in the class and sharing our cake diaster stories. I practice every day with icing I leave made up in the fridge and bake 1 cake a week to practice on. You have to be willing to go the extra mile to succeed. Pam from Bama

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 11:33am
post #9 of 11

You can't expect great teachers from them because they expect so much and pay so little. Your best course is to ask lots of questions here on CC, find a buddy, and practice a lot.

I think most of the problem is muscle control for beginners. Try squeezing a tennis ball when you aren't practicing. It will help you have stronger, more steady hands.

peg818 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peg818 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 12:35pm
post #10 of 11

If you are not impressed with your teacher, look for another. You can also look to a cake store and see if they have lessons often they have more experienced teachers, and if they don't give classes they may be able to point you in the direction of someone that could give you private lessons. The thing is expect that your basic class will cost more then $25.

chocolate1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolate1 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 12:50pm
post #11 of 11

Once I started in this addiction of cake decorating I did not have time to go to a class..I thought why not have someone come to my house, give the instructor the styles and techniques I want to learn, and so I got in touch with a grocery store bakery who then turned me on to their decorator of 20 years and now I'm learning techniques I want, and even can take a picture of the cake and we do it..right there, in my home!.. start looking..there are people who will come to your house if your in their area and probably for not any more than what you pay for classes going to a store..happy icing, Chocolate

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%