Wedding Order - Need Pricing Help

Baking By chocomama Updated 19 Apr 2006 , 3:45am by partsgirl25

chocomama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocomama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:06am
post #1 of 63

A customer wants 125 of each of these cookies. They're beautiful and I hope to be able to do them justice. I think the groom is made of a chocolate cookie but maybe it's just food coloring. I have no idea what to charge her. I know the cutters alone are $10 each and I believe she wants me to wrap them, too. Can someone help???
LL

62 replies
dodibug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dodibug Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:09am
post #2 of 63

I'm not good on cookie pricing but I would suggest checking your area for something similar to get pricing ideas. Good luck!

antonia74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
antonia74 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:27am
post #3 of 63

Those are pretty big cookies with small details.

I would charge $4 to $6, depending on their size...I assume they are 4" or 5" tuxedos and 5" to 6" dresses.

You should ask her where she came upon the photo and then check out what that bakery charges. I'll bet they are NOT cheap! icon_cool.gif

(I just used that exact shirt/tux cutter to do my hockey team jersey cookies and just posted the photo in the Gallery. I got the cutter at www.kitchengifts.com for $9 or so)

chocomama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 2:41am
post #4 of 63

I'm waiting to hear from the bride as to which website she found them but I just found a site that is charging $5.50 (on sale). This is what it says...

Wedding Dress & Tuxedo Cookies
$5.50 On Sale

Our stunningly detailed wedding dress cookie features all the intricacy of the finest couture creations. Pair with our tuxedo cookie, and you've got a match made in heaven! Bride's dress cookie is available as shown in white with pale pink flowers, all white, pale pink, pale lavender and white with lavender flowers. Dress measures 5" x 4" and arrives shrink wrapped and will remain fresh for approximately 6 months.
Available on a miniature wire hanger with porcelain rose detail as shown, or in a cellophane bag tied with satin ribbon. Tuxedo cookies measure 4" by 3" and are available as shown with porcelain rose boutonniere, or in a cellophane bag tied with ribbon.
Sold in quantities of 6. Please allow 3 weeks prior to shipping.

I was thinking of charging her $5/cookie and was going to wrap them together in cellophane b/c that's what she wants. I wasn't going to attempt to figure out the hanger and have no idea about the tiny roses. Where would I get them?

beany Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beany Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:25am
post #5 of 63
Quote:
Originally Posted by chocomama

arrives shrink wrapped and will remain fresh for approximately 6 months.

OMG!

6 months!

What are they putting in those cookies?!

JennT Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JennT Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:32am
post #6 of 63

I think $5/each is a fair price...lots of tiny details=lots of hours of work! lol Have you considered putting them in bags, instead of wrapping one of each together in the cellophane/plastic? IMHO they would look better in a small bag...you could just fold over the top of the bag...punch two holes out parallel to each other and then thread a ribbon through the holes and tie a nice bow. If they're wrapped together, it seems that one would cover up the other...with the bags they could be more easily seen...therefore showing off your excellent work!! icon_wink.gificon_lol.gif

As for the tiny hangers and flowers...try the crafts stores...Michaels, Hobby Lobby, etc. I would imagine you could find at least the little flowers there...and if they don't have the little hangers...you might look online for a site that sells doll house making supplies. Some of them carry everything to build doll houses, as well as the furniture to put in the houses, the dolls themselves and any accessories you could possibly think of ...right down to clothes hangers. If not there, maybe some sort of doll making website. Just thinking 'out loud' and throwing out some ideas...lol. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:38am
post #7 of 63

Definitely $5 each, those are some detailed cookies!

As far as the hanger goes, you can make them out of thin wire. I probably wouldn't mess with it though, it's not necessarily a detail that "makes" the cookie, KWIM? Especially with the quantity needed.

That being said, they're beautiful cookies. Can't wait to hear how it goes!

-Suz

chocomama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 3:43am
post #8 of 63

Thanks for the ideas! I just sent the bride my estimate and I'm waiting to hear back from her. She did just tell me that the cookies don't have to be exact, so that's good. Her dress has gold scrollwork so I may do something similar. That actually might be easier than messing with a bunch of different colors, kwim? And, I meant cello bags and not just wrap. I should have made that clearer. I like the bow idea a lot, too.

How would I get the icing on the tux a nice, dark black?

chocomama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 4:56am
post #9 of 63

Well, the bride wants to trim the cost a bit so I sent her some idea for wedding cake cookies. She had planned on 2 cookies/person so maybe she'll go with just one. We'll see. *sigh*

chocomama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 5:33pm
post #10 of 63

OK, even though I've made numerous suggestions on how to present just one cookie to each person, the bride is stuck on 2 cookies each, BUT she doesn't want to pay $10/guest. She talked about doing less intricate work but I'm still going to charge her $4 each so that won't help her much and I know she won't go for that, anyway. She just asked me if I would do the decorating if she and her family baked the cookies. I can't imagine baking 250 cookie before my wedding, but whatever. I'm not really keen on doing this but I want her to be happy and I don't want to lose her as a customer. What do you think? I haven't said anything to her yet.

golfgirl1227 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 6:47pm
post #11 of 63

I can't really see why each guest needs 2 cookies, especially cookies that large. Does she know how big they are?!!!!! Going with 1 cookie is about the only way she can get the cost down. Show her some of Antonia74's great wedding related cookies and see if she'll go for something like that. The wedding cake is a great idea. I suppose I would just tell her that there isn't any way to get it under $8 per person with 2 cookies each. DO NOT LET HER SUCKER YOU INTO UNDERPRICING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL! I am the worst about this, but you can't do it. Those are too large, too detailed cookies to go any lower on price.

Good luck!

chocomama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 8:59pm
post #12 of 63

Well, I've given her a variety of ideas and I think she'll mulling them over. I'm hoping to hear back from her later tonight. I've showed her other cookie ideas, including some of Antonia74's but so far she's stuck on the dress/tux idea. She wouldn't be able to order them online for less so unless she wants to do them all herself she's going to have to fork over the "dough"! LOL! icon_lol.gif

mikaza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mikaza Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:12pm
post #13 of 63

I would be careful about letting her bake the cookies--then you will be stuck with whatever quality cookies she gives you. Plus, the price really comes more from the time you will spend decorating than the cost of the cookies!

Would you consider charging her a fee or say $50 or so to spend an hour teaching her how to make these cookies herself?

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:12pm
post #14 of 63

ok here is a thought, what about the dresses for the ladies and the tuxs for the gentlement and then each couple will have 2 cookies, just a thought......

chocomama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:23pm
post #15 of 63

That's what I suggested, Jax, but she isn't going to have the place cards right at each table so if the cookies are randomly set at each place setting there's a chance that a man could end up with a dress cookie. icon_surprised.gif Awful, isn't it?? icon_rolleyes.gif Like I said, I gave her all kinds of suggestions but she didn't want to go with any of them. She'd rather scrap the whole idea rather than have 1 cookie per person. Whatever. I have a feeling that, in the end, she'll go with 1 cookie each just because she wants them so much. icon_wink.gif

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 9:48pm
post #16 of 63

What are ya gonna do, some people can't see the forest for the trees icon_rolleyes.gif . I hope she understands that the bulk of the pricing for these kinds of cookies comes from the actual time it takes to decorate each one and not the actual baking - that is the easiest part.....

Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 10:40pm
post #17 of 63
Quote:

OK, even though I've made numerous suggestions on how to present just one cookie to each person, the bride is stuck on 2 cookies each, BUT she doesn't want to pay $10/guest. She talked about doing less intricate work but I'm still going to charge her $4 each so that won't help her much and I know she won't go for that, anyway. She just asked me if I would do the decorating if she and her family baked the cookies. I can't imagine baking 250 cookie before my wedding, but whatever. I'm not really keen on doing this but I want her to be happy and I don't want to lose her as a customer. What do you think? I haven't said anything to her yet.

She just wants to have her cookies and eat them too. Stand your ground. If she does not want to pay your prices let her order the cookies online at the sale price.

Do not let her bring you Cookies to decorate. And if she does insist on it. charge her full price for having to do all the work on the cookies. If she does not like this she can decorate them herself.

I am sure she if she had to order these cookies online she would no be trying to haggle.

A lady from the office recently asked me to make and decorate 20 flower cookies for her. She loved both the roses and the tulips in my portfolio and she has ordered from me before. Problem is she wants the tulips for the same price as the roses. icon_eek.gificon_eek.gificon_confused.gif So I politely informed her that there is no way that I am going to sit and hand-paint cookies and then under-charge myself. If she wants my tulip cookies she will either have to pay the price that I want for them or try to find them at Wal-mart.

Cookies are very time consuming and tedious. Do not underprice your work. As with cakes the more details/unique the cookie is more the price will be.

chocomama Posted 11 Apr 2006 , 11:49pm
post #18 of 63

Nope, I'm not going to charge her less and I'm not going to let her bake the cookies. Like I told my husband tonight, she wouldn't be able to go into a bakery and ask to do that and even though I don't have a storefront (yet) I'm not going to act less than professional. thumbs_up.gif

partsgirl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
partsgirl25 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:45am
post #19 of 63

well be sure to let us know what she decides. you've got my curiousity aroused!

golfgirl1227 Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 2:50am
post #20 of 63
Quote:

Nope, I'm not going to charge her less and I'm not going to lether bake the cookies. Like I told my husband tonight, she wouldn't be able to go into a bakery and ask to do that and even though I don't have a storefront (yet) I'm not going to act less than professional. thumbs_up.gif

YAY!!!! Keep us posted!

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 5:42am
post #21 of 63

Good for you, chocomama. If she were to bring you crappy cookies, then your name might get tagged to them since you did the decorating. What's with brides these days? The poor sap who is marrying her might be in for it. icon_lol.gif

chocomama Posted 12 Apr 2006 , 12:36pm
post #22 of 63

Exactly my thoughts, Zamode! icon_wink.gif

chocomama Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 1:39am
post #23 of 63

Ugh. So, I contact the bride today and ask if she's made a decision yet. Her response: "Where did we leave off?" I filled her in and this is the email I received in return:

"thanks mam. i really love the cookie idea as you know Im going to check around -no offense I really cant to do $5 a cookie. lets hold on Friday for now and see where I get in the next few days."

First of all, she can't even spell "ma'am" correctly. Second, does she think she's going to find someone to do them for less for the same quality? This is Houston and things like this are expensive. Good luck, Honey. I was very polite and told her that I understood and best wishes and to let me know if she needed anything. Ergh. What is it about me? First the crazy muffin lady last month and now a cheap bride. The girl was not willing to bend or even consider any of my other suggestions. They're just cookies, for goodness sake! I guess girls don't realize that all of these little, silly things don't mean diddly a year after the wedding. I mean, if you can't afford it, that's OK, go with something else. When she originally called me it was b/c she wanted chocolate pieces for all of the guests and then these darned cookies came into play. She's having a nice, formal wedding in just one month and I don't think anyone will care if they have one or two freakin' cookies on their plates! I even told her they could be used as place cards, per se, and I would write each guest's name on them. A little cutesy, maybe, but I'll bet they would be remembered. Oh well. Maybe I'm better off. icon_rolleyes.gif [/i]

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 4:13pm
post #24 of 63
Quote:

First the crazy muffin lady last month and now a cheap bride. [/i]

Funny you say cheap bride.. I make and do almost everything wedding from garter to flowers to hopefully some day cakes... Havent gotten that brave yet... ANYWAY you would not believe the brides when you give them the price list of each arrangement, bouquet ,candles, and garters... First thing they say well can we go down on the pricing of this or that... I hand sew each garter all the way to the lace being hand sewn on. I charge for my floral arrangements cost and 5.00 assembly. I still undercut every florist in this town that does weddings I believe every bride should have a beautiful wedding and have the flowers of her dreams. So I undercut myself in price to offer this because I love floral arranging... I mean come on where else are you going to get a tiger lily/rose/carnation/hanging Ivy mixture with a Fan shaped Cascade Bouquet for $30.00-$60.00. The cascade drapes flows just past the knees. Not in Tulsa... Brides do get over charged I admit on a lot of things but when you have a descent fair price guide and they still want it lower that's when you say well then Im sorry Im not going to be able to serve you... I always suggest places and even suggest great ways to cut money on making things themselves. In fact I have handouts with a lot of money saving tricks when planning a wedding. They remember this and usually end up calling me back.
icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif I use subliminal messages icon_evil.gif Bwa hahaha! JK! icon_lol.gif

Your pricing is very fair and dont go any lower on it! it's a beautiful cake and Im sure you will add so many extra special touches to itthat she wont find anywhere.. STAND your ground!

marmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmar Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 5:14pm
post #25 of 63

It's funny how some brides will pay a couple of thousand bucks for a dress, or something that's only for them, and then chintz out on a couple of bucks (or cents) extra for a favor for guests who've perhaps travelled a distance to be at the wedding, bought fancy clothes for HER special occasion and brought expensive gifts - I've never been to a wedding where I haven't spend at least $100 for a gift.

Anyway, you sound annoyed enough where it sounds like you might not want to do the cookies after all, but in case you come to some agreement with her...
Have you thought about doing those heart cookies that look like a dress bodice and a tuxedo - use average size hearts (2 1/2 inch) and package them back to back, let her do her own labels, charge 5 or 6 dollars for the pair? I think I've seen them somewhere in the photo gallery - perhaps you could do a search, or someone could let you know where they are? Maybe they're one of Antonia74's cookies?

marmar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marmar Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 5:24pm
post #26 of 63

I don't know how to do an attachment, Sorry!

I did a search in photogallery and found the heart cookies by antonia74 and mac. They're fantastic! Good luck!

glory2god Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
glory2god Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 5:37pm
post #27 of 63

i found a site whose cookies are smaller and they are asking for $7.50 a cookie. when she asked if she could bake the cookies and you decorate i would have told her "i don't work that way. i only decorate cakes and cookies that i bake but, you can check the local library to see if they have books on decorating cookies". you know its just like the people who barely know you asking for discounts. my response is "sure go to walmart and i hope you like the cake they give you".

yes, we are doing this because we like it but if we give everyone a discount then how are we going to pay our rent?

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Helendelk Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 7:36pm
post #28 of 63

Hey here is that heart shape tuxedo and bride bodice cookie picture someone suggested looking up... I was curious heheh icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif

Mac uploaded this one so you might pm them! AND GIVES GREAT ADVICE AS WELL!
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=bride%20cookies&cat=0&pos=10&search=bride%20cookies

I agree with marmar on these... Antonia74 does a bEAUTIFUL JOB!!
Here is her tux cookies pictures :
http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=search&search=tuxedo%20heart&cat=0&pos=0&search=tuxedo%20heart

You might PM her asking if she can give you a little hint on what to do!
I'm almost positive either of them would have the PERFECT ADVICE on this situation..

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 7:57pm
post #29 of 63

I wouldn't wait on her, chocomama....that is your final decision but I agree with marmar that it sounds like you are ready to move on and I certainly don't blame you. Your time will come and she won't find huge, homemade, personally decorated cookies like that for $5 or less.

chocomama Posted 13 Apr 2006 , 8:55pm
post #30 of 63

LOL, Zamode! I love the "Cookie Strike"! Too funny!

You, know, I was probably considered a cheap bride, but I knew what I could afford, I knew what people charged and I didn't fuss about what was out of my price range. Hers is supposedly a formal affair and I know her dress is gorgeous, the reception not cheap and I know what she does for a living. Now, maybe she overspent on the other things, who knows? I could care less that she doesn't want to pay $5/cookie. That's fine, no problem, but just tell me upfront that these cookies are the only favors you're going to consider for your guests and then I won't kill myself and waste my time trying to find affordable, yet lovely alternatives. She is set on these cookies and didn't want to consider anything else. I've showed her heart cookies and cake cookies, Antonia74's no less so you know they are beautiful, but she wouldn't budge. So, good luck, girlie. I hope she can find what she wants, but I doubt it will be of a good quality. 'Tis life! icon_rolleyes.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%