Help!!!

Decorating By BaBa Updated 11 Apr 2007 , 1:53pm by Sugar_Plum_Fairy

BaBa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BaBa Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:27pm
post #1 of 16

Have been asked to do a birthday cake for a gentleman turning 70. Thay have asked for the cake to have an Italian theme. He is originally from Tuscany. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated. I am drawing a blank, the only thing I could think of was spaghetti and meat balls. Creative well is dry right now.

15 replies
bobwonderbuns Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bobwonderbuns Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:32pm
post #2 of 16

Wine and grapes comes to mind. By the way, if you go to my photos and see the sunflower cake -- that was my gift to a 70 year old special needs man for his birthday a few years ago! icon_biggrin.gif

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:35pm
post #3 of 16

Wine/grape theme also come to my mind. I have done a grape cake as well as a wine cake, check out my photos if you would like.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:35pm
post #4 of 16

Wine and grapes was the first thing I though of too! Jen

karateka Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karateka Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 16

When I think of Italy, I think of Rome, Pisa, wine, rolling green hills, lots of sunshine, great food, cathedrals, etc

You could something with the leaning tower of Pisa, maybe olive trees or wine related stuff, like grape leaves and grapes, wine glasses and such. I understand the Chianti wine region is in Tuscany.

Or something related to architecture of all the cathedrals there?

Hippiemama Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hippiemama Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:42pm
post #6 of 16

Wine and grapes would make a lovely cake.

Andrea

dolphinheron Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dolphinheron Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:44pm
post #7 of 16

Wine, vineyard - my first thoughts as well.

dolphinheron Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:45pm
post #8 of 16

Or an Italian flag... can't remember what it looks like - will try to find it right now and post a link.

dolphinheron Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:48pm
post #9 of 16

OMG the Italian flag is just a rectangle divided into three vertical parts; first third green, middle third white, and final third red. Pretty darn easy but alas, a little bo-ring!

Maybe you can incorporate it into your cake, though...

itsmylife Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
itsmylife Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 12:55pm
post #10 of 16

Use the 'tuscan' colors....gold/orange and terracotta - warm colors. Maybe some wine corks....sugared grapes with their leaves.

I've always wanted to do a room in my house with a tuscan theme.

Maybe find a photo of something famous in Tuscany (something that the guest of honor would recognize) and have that printed as an edible image.

mullett Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mullett Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:07pm
post #11 of 16

YOU COULD DO THE BOTTOM LAYER ROUND WITH GRAPES BUT DO THE SECOND LAYER OCTAGON AND GET SOME PHOTOS FROM THE FAMILY OF HIS LIFE IN ITALY AND PUT EDIBLE PHOTOS ON THE EIGHT SIDES OF THE LAYER AND MAYBE ANOTHER ROUND ON TOP WITH MORE GRAPES. GOOD LUCK

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:07pm
post #12 of 16

You can always do a map of Italy (The Boot). There's the Tarantala, Espresso, gelato, a picture of The Madonna (The Blessed Mother), Tuscany's most famous wine is Chianti...........

That's about all I've got, even with a quick internet check.

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Doug Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:39pm
post #14 of 16

here's a little greek villa that could be easily adapted to Tuscan, in large part by changing the colors and the type of columns by the doors.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-12308.html

and here's a sketch that uses a sheet cake combined w/ the wilton house pan (or a carved sheet) to make a little villa w/ a patio.

HTH
LL

frstech Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frstech Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:47pm
post #15 of 16

I did a 12 x 18 cake with one half was the italian flag and one half was the american flag because he was originally from Italy and lives here and loves both places. Don't think it is in my photos, but will look for it and try to post it for you.

Dawn

Sugar_Plum_Fairy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugar_Plum_Fairy Posted 11 Apr 2007 , 1:53pm
post #16 of 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug

here's a little greek villa that could be easily adapted to Tuscan, in large part by changing the colors and the type of columns by the doors.
http://cakecentral.com/cake-photo-12308.html

and here's a sketch that uses a sheet cake combined w/ the wilton house pan (or a carved sheet) to make a little villa w/ a patio.

HTH

Doug, you are so great. Those are such wonderful ideas that I feel like making one of those cakes now. icon_wink.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%