Question On Red Fondant

Decorating By cruella4424 Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 12:10pm by springlakecake

cruella4424 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cruella4424 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:40pm
post #1 of 10

I need to make red fondant for a fire helmet was curious as to how I should accomplish this. I need a true red. Should I use red candy melts or just red-red gel coloring?
Thank you
Missy

9 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 10:47pm
post #2 of 10

red and red and red! I would add it in the mixer because you will need a lot of it and it won't get you all messy. You will also have to add more powdered sugar to offset all the liquid in the coloring.

Is there a way that you could just airbrush it or buy the fondant already colored?

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:19am
post #3 of 10

Are you using ready made fondant or do you make it yourself? If you make it yourself, are you using MMF or something else? If I'm making red, I usually try to add the color to the liquid before I start adding the powdered sugar. You need to use Americolor super red if you can, it will give you better results!

indigojods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indigojods Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:22am
post #4 of 10

Try starting with pink coloring before you add the red. That base seems to make it easier to achieve a good red. I did it with orange once because I needed orange and red MMF and that worked nicely as well. Americolor "Super Red" is the best too.

pearldust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pearldust Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 4:22am
post #5 of 10

I used red red gel coloring when i needed to make my fondant red. Check out my chalkboard cake...the apple...is that the red you're going for?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:32am
post #6 of 10

I just made some for the lightning mcqueen cake I did. The first batch did not turn out. It was so sticky and so I kept adding powdered sugar and then it just kept breaking apart. So then I figured it had to be all the extra liquid, so I reduced the amount of flavoring and water I usually add and it worked pretty good. The texture was still different than usual, it was actually more stretchy and I kind of liked it. I added the super red to the melted marshmallows

missyek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
missyek Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:34am
post #7 of 10

I like to take the easy way out and get the 5 lb tub of red fondant from Satin Ice--it is red! thumbs_up.gif

carrielynnfields Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carrielynnfields Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 11:44am
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by merissa

I just made some for the lightning mcqueen cake I did. The first batch did not turn out. It was so sticky and so I kept adding powdered sugar and then it just kept breaking apart. So then I figured it had to be all the extra liquid, so I reduced the amount of flavoring and water I usually add and it worked pretty good. The texture was still different than usual, it was actually more stretchy and I kind of liked it. I added the super red to the melted marshmallows

I would either suggest this route or make candy clay with red candy melts and then knead in a bit more red gel coloring to give it some oomph. Good luck!

ladysonja Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ladysonja Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:03pm
post #9 of 10

Hello - Can someone please tell me what "MMF" is?

springlakecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
springlakecake Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 12:10pm
post #10 of 10

marshmallow fondant

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%