Fondant Tastes Nasty!!!

Decorating By 29apr00 Updated 9 Apr 2007 , 3:17pm by sweetviolent

29apr00 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
29apr00 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:24pm
post #1 of 12

Started course #3 last week, and practiced a bit by covering the mini-egg pan cakes with some fondant. YUCK!! no one in the family likes the fondant! husband said it was like eating glue. icon_cry.gif I've heard the MMF is a lot better than the wilton boxed fondant, but looking at one of the recipes here, there is still no flavoring it in! Just shorting and marshmallows. Does anyone put any flavoring in it, or is there a MMF recipe that tastes good? I'm temped to use a dummy cake this week for class because i can't see wasting a cake that no one will eat!!

Help!

11 replies
Dustbunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dustbunny Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:42pm
post #2 of 12

Yes you can add flavoring, I like vanilla best. Also there are other store bought brands that are good, I love Satin Ice. But MMF is the cheapest and probably best tasting icon_smile.gif

Kayakado Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kayakado Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 12:51pm
post #3 of 12

I just wanted to play with some ready made fondant and bought some Satin Ice and liked the taste and consistency better than I thought I would. The funny thing was one of the cats LOVES this fondant! I dropped a piece on the floor and it was gone before I could retrieve it. Now everytime she hears me opne the container, she is there waiting for me to drop some again.

imaginecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imaginecakes Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:26pm
post #4 of 12

I think that Wilton is the only Fondant that acually tastes that way!!! All of the others that I have tried are really yummy! I love Satin Ice, I do make the MMF...and it's really good! I have also had Choco-Pan, and it's really good too. I'm beginning to think that Wilton replaces the powdered sugar in thier recipies with flour! And they add a strange chemical smell in the end to boot!! But, it is easy to work with, so it's great for practice!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #5 of 12

I've added almond extract or butternut Lorann oil to my MMF, Makes a BIG difference!

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 1:41pm
post #6 of 12

i grew up thinking fondant was supposed to taste nsaty because all i ever had was the wilton stuff (probably). when i started to make cakes, i was hesitant to try fondant, but then found mmf and will never go back! i made an easter bonnet cake yesterday and people were actually eating the fondant from it! like taking a piece of cake, then coming back for some fondant! lol

dazey1050 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
dazey1050 Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:01pm
post #7 of 12

I haven't added anything to my MMF, but it tastes very sweet rather than like glue. I just bought some Satin Ice to try and it doesn't taste too bad.

NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:39pm
post #8 of 12

I made a Bible cake for our Easter get together. I had fully covered it with MMF(first time for my side of the family)and I was going to peel it off the pieces for my grandparents and they asked to leave it on. They ate all the MMF on their piece lol=) Infact everyone who had cake ate it, even though I said they could take it off it they didn't want to eat it. Jen

Edited to add...I forgot to mention that I add extract to my MMF too. I use either vanilla, almond, and/or butter extracts. Makes it quite yummy!

SweetResults Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SweetResults Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:45pm
post #9 of 12

Correction - WILTON fondant tastes NASTY !

Many others are actually yummy, Satin Ice, Pettinice, MMF - don't give up on it!

chocolateandpeanutbutter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolateandpeanutbutter Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 2:51pm
post #10 of 12

Yep, Wilton fondant is certainly gross. I stayed away from fondant cakes for so long for this very reason! When I was taking the Wilton courses, however, my instructor told us about this site (thanks so much, Anna!) and as soon as I found and tried the MMF I was hooked. It opened up a whole new world for me!

I use the recipe found in the tutorial on this site, and I always flavour it. I have also added lemon juice to help cut the sweetness slightly, but I like to add vanilla, or a vanilla/almond combination. I just got some creme bouquet (wow- I keep smelling the bottle every time I go in the kitchen) and I think that would be nice too.

I have also bought some ready-made fondant from Golda's Kitchen, it's McCalls brand. I've only tried the white chocolate flavour so far (it's yummy). It's nice to work with, but it seems to be softer than MMF.

When I took course 3, I used MMF exclusively. It's great to work with, tastes good, and costs pennies in comparison to Wilton. My kids love it!

Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:10pm
post #11 of 12

Wilton fondant is definitely disgusting! I haven't tried MMF yet, but I was blessed a couple of years ago to get a great recipe from a cake decorator in my area for homemade fondant! My fondant tastes great and ALMOST everyone eats it! (my husband thinks the flavor is great, but does not like the consistency!)

Definitely try a different fondant before you decide what to do about the BC. If you still don't like it (doubt it) then the suggestions about torting and using more BC or adding it after you peel would be great (I torte anyway, it is just yummier!)

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 9 Apr 2007 , 3:17pm
post #12 of 12

everyone i have fed mmf to has really enjoyed it and i have seen lots of people add flavoring to it as well, try it it is NOTHING like the wilton fondant- although the wilton is very forgiving to work withicon_smile.gif there def is something a little freaky about the cat enjoying it though icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%