Fondant Ruffle Border

Decorating By Pyxxydust Updated 7 Apr 2006 , 4:13am by Pyxxydust

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 2:04pm
post #1 of 12

Has anyone done a fondant ruffle border? I've seen cakes in the past and it looks very nice, but it also looks easy to do! But nooooooo, of course it's not - when I try to do it! I tried to practice doing one last night and I couldn't get it to work! Does anyone have any ideas how to do these? I was hoping to do it for a 14 inch round and a 10 inch round. Does anyone have any pictures of a fondant ruffle border that I can see? And is it okay to use straight fondant or should I mix it with gumpaste or Tylose? I have both at home but have never mixed them with fondant, so I have no idea how much to use of anything.

Thanks for any help you can give!

Melissa

11 replies
Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 3:35pm
post #2 of 12

Yes, please somebody tell us as I wanted to do this for my doll cake but gave up. Thanks for bringing this topic up!

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 6:12pm
post #3 of 12

you may be describing a "frill" border. There are cutters that make this easier, but you can fake it.

You will want a ring about 3 1/2" across (like a doughnut) of fondant. Cut it and straighten it into a line. Using a ball tool, or a toothpick, or a skewer, ruffle the outside edge by gently stretching it, not stretching the inside edge. This causes the ruffle.

you can trim and attach the ruffle with a tiny brush of water, or a line of royal, or any of the other gluey stuff.

The cutter does make it easier, but you can do a fairly decent job this way.

mommymarilyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommymarilyn Posted 5 Apr 2006 , 6:20pm
post #4 of 12

We saw a demo of this at the cake show in Austin this past weekend - and it was done exactly as JoAnnB described. Rolling the little ball tool (not sure what the proper name is icon_redface.gif ) back and forth causes the "frilling". It is a very cute embellishment.

marydt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marydt Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 2:19am
post #5 of 12

would this be what you mean? Found this on Cakes by Sam web page and it is darling. The Baby Shower 1 cake. I've already done 2 cakes based on this one. One for a 5th birthday with a tiara on top and a baby shower cake last week. All family related, no fees.

This site has gorgeous cakes. If the artist of these cakes is a member of this forum...Great Work!!! thumbs_up.gif

http://www.cakesbysam.com/store/baby_shower_cakes.html

Mary

JoAnnB Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JoAnnB Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 5:42am
post #6 of 12

That Baby shower 1 cake is very pretty, but it is just excess fondant.

Frill ruffles are much smaller and look more like ruffled ribbon and is generally scalloped around the sides of the cake.

donnadol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnadol Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 6:25am
post #7 of 12

I have a book that has the frills you're talking about but the book uses the chocolate paste. The authors are Adrian westrope & Dan Tabor. I have made snapshots of the picture on the book from my camera phone. let me figure out first how to upload the photos.
LL
LL
LL

donnadol Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
donnadol Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 6:36am
post #8 of 12

hope these will help..... The book is Chocolate Paste Cakes by Adrian Westrope & Dan Tabor. Published by Merehurst Limited.

frulund2600 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
frulund2600 Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 6:53am
post #9 of 12

you can see it here as well: http://www.pastrywiz.com/cakes/babycrib2.htm. It is a babys crib, but it is done the same way on a cake. You can se an example in my photos.

marydt Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
marydt Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 1:54am
post #10 of 12

Love the ruffle. One more thing to add to my 'learn to do' list icon_redface.gif

Mary

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 2:48am
post #11 of 12

I've done two cake with ruffle borders. I cut a strip the size I want then use a wooden skewer, roll in a forward and backward motion then pick up and move a little.... repeat until it done.
LL
LL

Pyxxydust Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pyxxydust Posted 7 Apr 2006 , 4:13am
post #12 of 12

Thanks guys - this is very helpful! You all are the best!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%