Fbct Cracking- Please Help

Decorating By aaversa Updated 10 Apr 2007 , 7:38pm by crisseyann

aaversa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
aaversa Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:06am
post #1 of 12

Hello
I attempted my first FBCT last night. I outlined it and then filled it in. I didn't put a back layer on because I read a few posts that said it was fine without. Well, when I went to take it off the wax paper it cracked. icon_cry.gif The outline cracked and a whole piece of the transfer cracked off.
What am I doing wrong??

I have another one to do right now and I would like to know how to fix this before I try again.

Thanks in advance

11 replies
NEWTODECORATING Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NEWTODECORATING Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:45am
post #2 of 12

That is why I do the back cover. With it a little thicker and frozen solid I haven't had on crack on me. I am starting to do them without the backing if they are small, but I have done ALOT of them now and kind of have a feeling for it . If you haven't done several I would stick to using the backing.

aaversa Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:49am
post #3 of 12

Thanks NEWTODECORATING

OK so just to make sure i know what to do, i do the outline first- freeze- then fill in the colors - freeze - then do the backing - freeze... Is this right????

NEWTODECORATING Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 12:54am
post #4 of 12

You got it!! I would freeze the last time for at least 2 hours. That help with the cracking problem too. I have done it in as little as 30 minute though.

aaversa Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 1:00am
post #5 of 12

Thank you SOO much for the help. icon_biggrin.gif I am going to try again now. Wish me luck

aaversa Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:16pm
post #6 of 12

well i made another one and it didn't crack or break - thank you NEWTODECORATING. icon_biggrin.gif

Now i'm wondering what technique to use so the frosting is smooth. I'll try to attach the photo so you can see what i mean....you can see where I piped frosting, like on the egg and dino face.
LL

hktaitai Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hktaitai Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:31pm
post #7 of 12

Based on your photo, it looks like you need to "pat down" the back side of your FBCT so that you can get rid of the worm holes. After I fill in the FBCT, I use my finger (covered with corn starch) and gently "dab" the back to smoothen out the image. After I finish patting it down, I freeze it to stiffen up the image, then apply the back layer.

Also, the consistency of your BC makes a difference when doing FBCT. I think the recipe is posted on CC somewhere. After you do a few of these, you'll get the hang of it.

NEWTODECORATING Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 3:39pm
post #8 of 12

GREAT JOB!!! Yes the consistancy of the icing plays a role in those squiggle lines. I use the recipe from here....Buttercream for FBCT. I thin it some with water. Also, after the transfer defrost and crust you can use a VIVA papertowel to smooth out the surface.

Your doing a wonderful job. A few more and you'll be a pro!!

aaversa Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 2:42pm
post #9 of 12

Thanks everyone for your help. I completed my third FBCT in two days! On my third I used the recipe on this site and it came out much better then the first two. It cracked but it was only his hand and it was my fault because I was in a hurry. I attached the photo below. I'll keep up the practice and hopefully get better every time. icon_biggrin.gif
LL

NEWTODECORATING Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 3:25pm
post #10 of 12

Wow I see your improving each time. I see less squiggles and a more smooth surface on George! Great job! Don't you love the buttercream for FBCT icing!

faby33 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
faby33 Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 7:26pm
post #11 of 12

hi everyone. i am planning to do a buttercream transfer for the first time. the cake is for my cousin and it is for friday. do you think i can do the fbct on wednesday and live it in the freezer until friday? that will be ok? also , since iam new to cake decorating, i would like to know how i know when the consistency of the bc is right, for example when is thin, medium and stiff?for how long do i have to mix ?i will appreciate any advice. by the way , i never knew this site existed. i am so glad i found it. you guys are absolutely helpful, patient and very talented. congratulations!

crisseyann Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crisseyann Posted 10 Apr 2007 , 7:38pm
post #12 of 12

When I discovered the FBCT transfer method, I used the recipe and tutorial on this site. At the time, I was still using my standard buttercream to ice my cake with. Rather than making two different icings, I thought I'd try to use the FBCT icing as my cake cover, too. NOW, I use the FBCT buttercream as my all-over icing, even when I don't do a FBCT. Everyone LOVES it! It is so nice and buttery without being TOO buttery. Easy to smooth with the Viva method and great for piping.

I also find, that the longer you beat this icing, (I usually go a full 10 minutes) it whitens up really bright. The three sticks of butter are really unnoticeable. Just an FYI. icon_smile.gif

I've frozen FBCT's for days and had no problem.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%