Frostin Pride Frosting?? Anybody Use It?

Decorating By bcake1960 Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 6:04pm by bcake1960

bcake1960 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bcake1960 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:45pm
post #1 of 8

I have an order for cake with the "fluffy, lite, not sweet, frosting that the bakery uses" I found Frostin Pride and am going to use that. Frosting not topping (they have 2 kinds). Has anyone used this? The cake I am doing is a stacked 10" & 6" and I want to use fondant accents... Do you think there would be a problem with the fondant and that type of frosting? I know it doesn't crust. Also how does it take color? I am not going for anything to bold. Ill let the fondant do that. Thanks for any help I am doing it today.... icon_smile.gif

7 replies
Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:56pm
post #2 of 8

Yes, I have...tastes pretty good but its not strong enough to hold fondant, the texture is that of whipping cream, a little stronger, but not much. You can color it but not dark colors.

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:01pm
post #3 of 8

We use it all the time at the bakery. It's ok to work with just DON'T over beat it. It has a tendency to dry out and get crumbly. (easily fixed though, just throw it back into the mixer and add some water to adjust the texture). If it's the proper consistency it's good for piping roses etc. It also has a tendency to dry out and get crumbly when you add certain food colors to it.
But other than than just use a clean, hot wet, spatula to smooth the icing. And once smoothed. Don't touch. It pulls up and gets all raggedy lookin.
Other than those few concerns, it's relatively easy to work with and you don't have to worry bout measuring this or that. Just throw the amount needed into the mixer and mix it up and apply to yer cake. One more thing, no, it doesn't crust.

bcake1960 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:08pm
post #4 of 8

chaptlps... Have you ever used fondant accents with this frosting.. and what kind of colors will make it crumbly? I have wilton and americolor gels.. Thank you both for the quick replies....

chaptlps Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:11pm
post #5 of 8

on the wedding cake I just posted it's whipped (frosting pride, bettercream, whatever brand it is) I just used some short dowels to make sure that the drapes didn't fall off. I put the roses over the spots where I put the dowels in. It held up fine. I usually get the cakes done one day ahead of time and they are in the cooler for the night til pickup. The cake was ok the next day.

Wendoger Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wendoger Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:19pm
post #6 of 8

...so ya had to dowel the fondant drapes to the cake???

chaptlps Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:20pm
post #7 of 8

yeppers. Sho nuf did!!
To answer the color question.... Usually it's green and blue and red that are the culprits. For some reason pink, has the opposite effect.

bcake1960 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 6:04pm
post #8 of 8

Thanks very much for the info.. I think I will use for the filling and frost with buttercream so I can use the fondant accents..
Thanks again!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%