Dilema ... Do I Re-Bake?

Decorating By caixa Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 3:48pm by ombaker

caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:52am
post #1 of 11

I'm making a coconut cake for Easter, already baked 1st 12" layer and when I was mixing the second one notice that I forgot to substitute water for coconut milk on the first one I went ahead and added coconut milk to the second mix. Options Leave it as is icon_cool.gif , re-bake or I was thinking that I can put the coconut milk less one on top and make coconut milk syrup for it. I really don't now if this is a big deal or not. I have about 20 people coming but they are all family. I would ask my husband if he can tell any difference but I'm sure he'll say they are the same icon_confused.gif . What you guys think?

10 replies
GIAcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GIAcakes Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:06am
post #2 of 11

how about you torte both cakes, so that you have 4 layers. Stack them every other, one coconut milk, filling, one w/o coconut milk, filling, one with coconut milk, filling, one w/o coconut milk.

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:11am
post #3 of 11

My thoughts exactly!!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #4 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by GIAcakes

how about you torte both cakes, so that you have 4 layers. Stack them every other, one coconut milk, filling, one w/o coconut milk, filling, one with coconut milk, filling, one w/o coconut milk.

Gets my vote!

Beth in KY

caixa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
caixa Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:46am
post #5 of 11

I really like this idea and it would be the perfect solution... if only I could torte I'm afraid of the cake splitting in half ( it happend to me before) when I picked it up. Maybe I can try that in the morning ... I'll try to encourage my self. Any tips so I don't break the layers?

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:59am
post #6 of 11

When you split the layer, slide a larger cake board into the split to pull the layer off. This will make it easier to move it around and place it again...

mkerton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mkerton Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:59am
post #7 of 11

slide something in between to lift it up....ie cardboard, cookie sheet w/o sides etc.....

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:00am
post #8 of 11

when you tort, slide a cardboard between them to remove the top torted layer. After putting the filling in, the top torted layer will slide right onto the bottom cake.

It's, as we say in the trade, (oh gosh, I can't resist)......!

"A piece of cake!" icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

(Oh gosh, I just crack me up! I must really be heavy into sleep deprivation!)

Kitagrl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kitagrl Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:02am
post #9 of 11

Also maybe a simple syrup with coconut milk or flavoring in it to brush over the layers?

namaman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
namaman Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:05am
post #10 of 11

and to give layers even more coconut flavor, I spread cream of coconut (not coconut milk) over the layers and let it soak in. It gives it an amazing coconut flavor.

ombaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ombaker Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:48pm
post #11 of 11

Also a cracked cake is not the worst thing in the world. That's why icing was invented!! icon_lol.gif

If you put yor cakes in the fridge overnight before you try to torte and move it is much easier as the cake is much firmer.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%