Lifting Rolled Fondant/buttercream

Decorating By CarolAnn Updated 28 Nov 2004 , 5:25am by SquirrellyCakes

CarolAnn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CarolAnn Posted 22 Sep 2004 , 3:38pm
post #1 of 9

I am making my first and second wedding cakes in October. Both brides want the smoothe icing look. I've worked with fondant a little but not to cover a cake. I'd like to use rolled buttercream for the first one because the taste is so much nicer than fondant. My problem is lifting the darn icing neatly onto the cake after I have it rolled out. I can't afford an expensive fondant lifter like my sister has. Using a rolling pin didn't work. and it stuck to my plastic sheeting. This is frustrating me to no end. I need help ladies. Who has tried the faux fondant? How did you like it? Nice and easy as it looks? I may give that a try. If it comes out smoothe my girlfriend might like that better than the rolled. For the second cake I am traveling and using someone elses kitchen so I'm going to use a fondant my sister has used and loves (you don't often hear THAT word used in connection with fondant) from some place in CA, and she'll be there with her fondant lifter by the time I'm to that stage. It's this first one that's giving me headaches. So, what can you tell me to relieve my stress in Kansas? Thanks in advance!

8 replies
Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 22 Sep 2004 , 5:43pm
post #2 of 9

You can get Pettinice or Satin Ice for your fondant and they both taste good...

as for it sticking are you spreading corn starch down to roll on or powdered sugar these will help with your sticking...

As to how to lay it on the cake the only way I know is to dust your rolling pin and roll it on to that and then unroll it on to the cake..

cupcake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcake Posted 22 Sep 2004 , 6:23pm
post #3 of 9

icon_smile.gifSince I do alot of fondant, I wanted something large enough to roll out for large cakes, my husband got a 3 inch schedule 40 Pvc and cut it to 24 inches, it has large enough openings to put your hands in, it would be similar to a tortilla rolling pin, but no handles. I dust my table with powdered sugar or cornstarch, and also the roller a little, I use my hands on the top to roll out, I measure my circumference to what I need for the cake, I then start at one end and roll the fondant around the roller until the whole thing is on the roller. I grab the outside and my fingers are inside and start unrolling from front to back across the top of the cake. I always have the cake on a flat surface. I then smooth and trim. This works great for me, especially for large cakes. I tried sliding off the board, but if you mis-judge you may have a short end and have to try and lift the fondant up and start again, and that can sometimes be a mess.Doing it this way if I have measured the circumference correctly I can see from the front that there is enough fondant, besides all the fondant is on a roll around the roller. He made me a smaller one for the smaller cakes. This has worked with Pettinice, Satin-Ice and Rolled Buttercream, however, the consistency on Rolled Buttercream may be a little softer so you have to make sure your dough is right. Good Luck!

Zabrip Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zabrip Posted 22 Sep 2004 , 11:56pm
post #4 of 9

I would be careful about using powdered sugar. I live in a super humid part of the US and powdered sugar makes it stick more because it absorbs the humidity. I use only corn starch.

DoubleODanish Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DoubleODanish Posted 23 Sep 2004 , 2:50am
post #5 of 9

I actually love working with fondant and don't mind the taste in small doses. I've always made my own, though, so I can't vouch for the taste of commercial stuff. One of my cookbooks avoids the whole powdered sugar/cornstarch method and recommends spraying your work surface with Pam or a similar nonstick vegetable spray. I've been doing that for a while now and it works beautifully. Spray a little on your rolling pin, too, and the fondant won't stick when you roll it up to move it to the cake. The Pam doesn't affect the taste of the fondant and it gives it a soft luster. Try it and see what you think.

CarolAnn Posted 25 Sep 2004 , 3:53pm
post #6 of 9

I tried the faux fondant technique using the Crusted Buttercream II recipe and it worked beautifully. I made a sample cake for my first bride to be and sent a pic to bride #2 and they both loved it. It was soo easy to get a smoothe silky surface I don't think I'll even bother trying to master the rolled stuff now. I'd post a pic if I knew how. I sure appreciate the help here. Thanks ladies!

Ladycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ladycake Posted 25 Sep 2004 , 4:35pm
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Quote:

I'd post a pic if I knew how.

If you have a web site you can click on the Url button on the tool bar here and then get the addy to where you have your cake on your site..

OR

If you dont have a site save your cake to your hard drive once on your hard drive go to the galleries on the site and click upload photo then click on the Album Fill in Picture name then click on Browse this is going to take you to your hard drive and your going to find your photo. fill in your Picture description Then click upload picture

CarolAnn Posted 27 Nov 2004 , 8:34pm
post #8 of 9

I have finally posted pics of the two wedding cakes I did in October. I used the faux fondant method with the Crusted Buttercream II recipe from this site. They are Dressed For Fall and Hearts and Roses in the Traditional Wedding Cakes albumn. I was pleased with my final product and thank all the ladies here who have helped and encouraged me.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Nov 2004 , 5:25am
post #9 of 9

I play a lot with fondant and one thing I found that works the best for me is smearing a very slight amount fo Crisco shortening onto my work surface. Just the slightest wee bit, that you spread with your fingers or palms onto the surface - really just enough to give the surface a bit of a shine. It also helps to prolong the period that it is workable - it won't dry out as easily. I was amazed at the difference it makes. The fondant just won't stick to your surface at all.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%