Uk Buttercream Recipe Wanted

Decorating By agroeve Updated 8 Apr 2007 , 8:26pm by seraphim

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:36pm
post #1 of 7

sorry you've probably been asked this loads of times but can anyone tell me how to make buttercream icing using uk ingredients. i know of white flora but find this very soft and it just doesn't seem to set enough. i've never covered a cake with buttercream and would love to try
thanks

6 replies
JStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JStar Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:05pm
post #2 of 7

Hi! I'm originally from the UK and I always just used softened butter - no shortening. The only issue would be if you wanted a pure white icing. You could try a white flora/butter mix to lighten it up some. Were you thinking of colored buttercream or pure white?

kelly75 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelly75 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:07pm
post #3 of 7

I'm from the UK too and I only use butter in my buttercream. I tried it with shortening and thought it was disgusting! (I'm sorry, I don't know what kind it was, it was supplied to us in clear ziploc bags when I did the Wilton I course).

Kelly

JStar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JStar Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:10pm
post #4 of 7

Yeah, I never use shortening alone and I never used it before moving over here! I really only use it if I need a pure white frosting.

I don't like the greasy coat it leaves on the roof of your mouth!

Nothing like a pure butter buttercream!

agroeve Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
agroeve Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:23pm
post #5 of 7

i was thinking of just a pure white frosting and wanted to know the uk name of a vegatable shortning.

Thistle-n-Bean Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thistle-n-Bean Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 6:55am
post #6 of 7

I use something called Crisp-n-Dry for shorterning in my buttercreams. It works really well for me, and I don't find it turns out too greasy. In my store, it's stored with the butter.

seraphim Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
seraphim Posted 8 Apr 2007 , 8:26pm
post #7 of 7

I was advised to use Trex by someone on the board, and it turned out really good in the buttercream dream recipe. It is beside butter in the supermarket.

Hope this helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%