What's Your Favorite Non-Cake Dessert Recipe... For Easter

Decorating By LucyintheSky Updated 7 Apr 2007 , 7:41pm by Narie

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:27pm
post #1 of 29

I need to take a dessert to Easter dinner... but not cake. My mom said "oh, something chocolately maybe" but wasn't any more specific than that. Please list your favorite non-cake dessert recipe. Thanks!!

28 replies
awolf24 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
awolf24 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:38pm
post #2 of 29

I love this and it is super simple.

Bake one mix of brownies (large enough box mix to use in a 9 x 13 pan). Cool and cut into small cubes.

Make 2 small boxes of Jello pudding - white chocolate flavor.

Buy 2 tubs of Cool Whip.

You'll also need crushed up pieces of your favorite chocolate bar or chocolate candy. I get Heath Bites and then zap them in my food processor.

Make layers until you run out of ingredients in a clear bowl (looks nice if you have a crystal bowl). I usually layer in this order:
brownies
pudding
cool whip
chocolate candy bits

Just make sure you end with the cool whip on top and sprinkle more of the chocolate candy bits on top.

This is super easy, looks impressive and tastes GREAT! I once won a dessert contest at work with this one and have given the recipe out numerous times. icon_smile.gif

CranberryClo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CranberryClo Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 29

It's not chocolate, but I love a strawberry shortcake that is not a sweet, pound-cake like cake. I like it to taste like shortcake.

Here's my favorite recipe - from Cooking Light, so a bit healthier, too!

2 c. AP Flour
¼ c. sugar
2 t. baking powder
1 t. grated citrus rind
½ t. salt
¼ t. baking soda
6 T. chilled butter, cut into small pieces
¾ c. fat free buttermilk
½ t. vanilla extract
Cooking spray
1 large egg white, beaten
1 ½ t. sugar

Preheat oven to 400.

Lightly spoon flour into measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour, sugar, powder, rind, salt and soda in a large bowl, stirring with a whisk. Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse meal. Combine buttermilk and vanilla; add to flour mixture, stirring just until moist (dough will be sticky).

Turn dough onto a lightly floured surface, knead lightly four times with floured hands. Pat dough into an 8 inch circle on a baking sheet coated with cooking spray. Brush top with egg white, sprinkle with 1 ½ t. sugar.

Bake at 400 for 15 minutes or until a wooden pick comes out clean. Cool 10 minutes on a wire rack. Carefully split shortcake in half horizontally using a serrated knife; cool layers separately on wire racks.

4 c. strawberries, sliced
Juice of one orange
¼ c. sugar
Whipped cream or cool whip

Wash, stem and slice berries. Squeeze orange over berries, if desired add sugar. Let macerate.

Place bottom half of shortcake, cut side up, on serving plate. Drain berries, reserving juice, drizzle some juice over bottom half of shortcake. Spread ½ of whipped cream over bottom layer of shortcake, arrange ½ berries over this. Top with top of shortcake cut side down.

Cut and serve with remaining whipped cream and strawberries.

doescakestoo Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doescakestoo Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:03pm
post #4 of 29

I love my lemon jello cake. But don't have it here. I am in Az and my recipes are in OK for now. May have to call my mom for it for this Sunday. Chocolate is another cake recipe too. My mom was reminding me of her dump cake the other nite with a poured chocolate icing. Have to get that one too. Sorry can't post them right now.

TheCakerator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TheCakerator Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:09pm
post #5 of 29

well this dessert is not chocolately but it sure goes fast at our house! I love making this for Easter because of all the pretty pastel colors you can make it in ... It's super light tasting and very easy to make!

2/3 cup boiling water
1 package (4 serving size) JELL-O Brand Gelatin Dessert, any flavor
(my favorites, strawberry, lime, and orange)
1/2 cup cold water
Ice Cubes
1 tub (8 ounces) COOL WHIP whipped topping, thawed
1 prepared graham cracker crumb crust (6 ounces)
Assorted Fruit (optional)

STIR boiling water into gelatin in large bowl 2 minutes or until completely dissolved. Mix cold water and ice to make 1 1/4 cups. Add to gelatin, stirring until slightly thickened. Remove any remaing ice.

STIR in whipped topping with wire whisk until smooth. Refridgerate 10 to 15 minutes or until mixture is very thick and will mound. Spoon into crust.

REFRIDGERATE 4 hours or until firm. Just before serving, garnish with fruit, if desired. Store leftover pie in refridgerator.

Makes 8 servings

lionladydi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lionladydi Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:22pm
post #6 of 29

ITALIAN CREAM CAKE

½ C Crisco          
1 stick oleo          
2 C sugar          
1 C buttermilk          
1 C chopped pecans        
1 C chopped maraschino cherries
2 C coconut
2 C flour
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
5 eggs seperated
1 t vanilla butter and nut flavoring

Beat egg whites until stiff. Set aside. Cream shortening, oleo, and sugar. Add egg yolks, one at a time, and cream well. Add buttermilk alternately with combined dry ingredients. Stir in flavoring. Add coconut, nuts, and cherries. Fold in stiffly beaten egg whites. Bake at 350 degrees in 3 layer pans or a 10 x 14 pan. Frost with Italian Cream Frosting.

Frosting

1 stick oleo
1 8oz pkg cream cheese
1 lb. powdered sugar
1 C chopped pecans
1 t vanilla butter and nut flavoring

Soften oleo and cream cheese and cream together. Beat in powdered sugar. Add nuts and flavoring.

If I can't find the vanilla butter and nut flavoring, I use butter, vanilla, and almond flavoring (1/3 t of each).

mjjandz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjjandz Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:52pm
post #7 of 29

I made a white chocolate oreo mousse cake.

krystalp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
krystalp Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 8:58pm
post #8 of 29

oooohhhh I've got a yummy one...

Candy Bar Cheesecake

1-3/4 cups crushed chocolate wafers (about 28 wafers)
1/4 cup sugar
1/3 cup butter, melted
3 packages (8 ounces each) cream cheese, softened
1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
1 cup chocolate syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
3 eggs, lightly beaten
6 Snickers candy bars (2.07 ounces each), coarsely chopped, divided
Additional chocolate syrup

In a small bowl, combine wafer crumbs and sugar; stir in butter. Press onto the bottom and 1-1/2 in. up the sides of a greased 9-in. springform pan. Place pan on a baking sheet. Bake at 325° for 12 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
In a large mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese, milk, chocolate syrup and vanilla until smooth. Add eggs; beat just until combined. Stir in 2-1/2 cups chopped candy bars. Pour into crust.
Place pan on a double thickness of heavy-duty foil (about 18 in. square);securely wrap foil around pan. Place in a large baking pan. Add 1 in. of hot water to larger pan.
Bake for 75-80 minutes or until center is just set. Cool on a wire rack for 10 minutes. Carefully run a knife around edge of pan to loosen; cool 1 hour longer. Refrigerate overnight. Top with remaining chopped candy bars; drizzle with additional chocolate syrup.

Narie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Narie Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:37pm
post #9 of 29

This is an old one but perfect for spring and summer gatherings.

Lemon Lush

Crust:
1 cup flour
1 stick margarine or butter
1/2 cup pecans

Blend margarine and flour and add finely chopped pecans. Press in the bottom of a 9x13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20minutes - set and very lightly browned.

First Layer:
Mix together and spread over cooled crust.
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cool whip from 9 oz. container

Second Layer:
Prepare two pkgs. of Instant lemon pudding with 3 cups of milk. Mix until slightly thickened and spread over cheese mixture.

Third Layer:
Top with remaining Cool Whip. 18 to 24 servings

lionladydi Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 10:25pm
post #10 of 29

Duh! I wasn't even thinking that this thread said a non-cake dessert. Sorry for the Italian Cream Cake. I am like a goose. I wake up in a new world every day.

Diane

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 11:02pm
post #11 of 29

My choice would be white chocolate raspberry Napoleans but the recipe is complicated, not something to make when you have all the other Easter things going on.

gizmo-shadow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gizmo-shadow Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:02am
post #12 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionladydi

ITALIAN CREAM CAKE

1 stick oleo          

What is oleo?

neni Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
neni Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 12:23am
post #13 of 29

Pepperidge Farms makes frozen puff pastry shells. You can bake them and fill them with White chocolate mousse and berries.

lionladydi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:08am
post #14 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo-shadow

Quote:

ITALIAN CREAM CAKE

1 stick oleo          

What is oleo?

Margarine (or I suppose butter would work okay). Guess I am telling my age and how old this recipe is when I say oleo. icon_lol.gif

Diane

Brendansmum Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Brendansmum Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:26am
post #15 of 29

I'm making my mom's banana split dessert for Easter. Not a traditional Easter dish but I'm caked out! icon_surprised.gif Did i just say that? Plus I'm watching my sugar and sweets intake. You make a graham cracker crust and spread into a 9 by 13 pan then add a cream cheese/powdered sugar mixture. Then top that with sliced bananas and crushed pineapple. Top with cool whip and chopped marashino cherries. My Mom likes to put nuts and a chocolate syrup drizzle on her's but I leave it off. That is too funny about the oleo, I've never heard any one but my Mom use that term.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 2:47am
post #16 of 29

wait? there are desserts other than cake? icon_eek.gif lol

i always love me a good pie (cherry, banana cream, coconut custard, lemon meringue, you name it, i'll eat it!)

i also love a fruit pizza. with a sugar cookie bottom (one of those refrigerated tubes of cookie dough), my signature topping and fresh fruit:

1 pkg (8oz) cream cheese, softened
1/2 c butter or margarine, softened
1/4 tsp vanilla
3/4 c powdered sugar
2 tbsp brown sugar

1. In a mixing bowl, beat cream cheese, butter and vanilla until fluffy.
2. Gradually add sugars; beat until just combined.
3. spread mixture onto baked cookie and top with fresh fruit.

yum, now i'm hungry! lol

or i make festive cream cheese cake cookies:

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2793-1-Cream-Cheese-Cake-Cookies.html

good luck, let us know how you fare!

sarahd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sarahd Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:02am
post #17 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Narie

This is an old one but perfect for spring and summer gatherings.

Lemon Lush

Crust:
1 cup flour
1 stick margarine or butter
1/2 cup pecans

Blend margarine and flour and add finely chopped pecans. Press in the bottom of a 9x13" pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 15 to 20minutes - set and very lightly browned.

First Layer:
Mix together and spread over cooled crust.
1 8 oz. pkg cream cheese
1 cup powdered sugar
1 cup cool whip from 9 oz. container

Second Layer:
Prepare two pkgs. of Instant lemon pudding with 3 cups of milk. Mix until slightly thickened and spread over cheese mixture.

Third Layer:
Top with remaining Cool Whip. 18 to 24 servings

Too funny.
Glad I read the responses. I was going to say this also. It is so yummy. My grandma used to make it all the time. It's one of my favorites. You can sub any pudding mix if you do not like the lemon.

LucyintheSky Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LucyintheSky Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 3:23am
post #18 of 29

Oh yay!! So many fantastic ideas... Thanks for all the input, I've been a one-track mind only thinking about cake so this helps a lot!! Luckily I don't have to make a decision until tomorrow morning b/c they all sound sooooo yum!!

lionladydi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:08am
post #19 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brendansmum

That is too funny about the oleo, I've never heard any one but my Mom use that term.

Okay girls! So your moms and I are old!!! My daughter makes fun of me also about things like this! My mom always called the refrigerator an ice box and did until she died 4 years ago. I honestly didn't realize that people don't say oleo anymore. I tried looking it up and for oleo it gives the definition as margarine. Anyway, you all know what I mean! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:30am
post #20 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo-shadow

Quote:

ITALIAN CREAM CAKE

1 stick oleo          

What is oleo?

Oh geesh! We are surrounded by children! icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

I'm old enough to know the term, but young enough that I've never called it "oleo". icon_lol.gif

When I was growing up, we called any yellow stick of fat "butter". I swear, I was a teenager before I knew that "real" butter even existed! (And for the record, I've never understood the description of "sweet creamery butter" because any time I've been forced to have real butter, I found it to be tart and bitter. Bleck! How do you guys stand that stuff!)

Narie Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 4:49am
post #21 of 29

I remember when oleomargarine-that was the full name of the stuff- was white. There was a law against selling it colored-some dairy lobby thing. When you bought it, it was a big white block and the coloring packet was included. But you had to put in your mixer-KA of course- and sprinkle the color on it and then mix it in. Occasionally, the color was liquid and in a capsule. I remember this because my mother would let me stand on a chair beside her, and I got to sprinkle the powder or squeeze the capsule-very big deal for a three year old. This was in the late 40's.

lionladydi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 11:12am
post #22 of 29
Quote:

I remember when oleomargarine-that was the full name of the stuff- was white. There was a law against selling it colored-some dairy lobby thing. When you bought it, it was a big white block and the coloring packet was included. But you had to put in your mixer-KA of course- and sprinkle the color on it and then mix it in. Occasionally, the color was liquid and in a capsule. I remember this because my mother would let me stand on a chair beside her, and I got to sprinkle the powder or squeeze the capsule-very big deal for a three year old. This was in the late 40's.

AHA! Someone older than me. I have heard about putting the color in it but never saw it done. icon_lol.gif I remember that my mom's sister and family lived on a dairy farm and they always had butter and we thought they were rich.
I'm with Indy, I prefer margarine to butter. I definitely hate homemade butter. We moved to a farm when I was a teenager and my mom milked cows and I had to churn butter. Hated the job and hated the end results. icon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Diane

Shamitha Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shamitha Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 5:31pm
post #23 of 29

I just finished preparing a chocolate charlotte for tomorrow.

ShirleyW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ShirleyW Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 6:13pm
post #24 of 29
Quote:

Now that sounds familiar. During WWll all you could get was oleomargarine or lard. The Oleo came in a clear soft plastic package but instead of the powdered color there was a capsule in the middle filled with liquid yellow food coloring, you popped the capsule to release the color and then kneaded the package back and forth till it was evenly distributed. That was always my job when I was a little girl and I thought it was great fun. To this day I still prefer margarne over real butter for taste, but I do use real butter in baking and in IMBC icing.

jescapades Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jescapades Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 6:16pm
post #25 of 29

why would that oleo need yellow color? just for asthetic purposes?

what's a chocolate charlotte? it sounds yummy! (well, anything chocolate will catch my attention! lol)

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 6:27pm
post #26 of 29

I love old fashioned banana pudding or a good ole homemade chocolate pie with mile high meringue

lionladydi Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 6:30pm
post #27 of 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by wgoat5

I love old fashioned banana pudding or a good ole homemade chocolate pie with mile high meringue

How far in KY do you live. I may pop over from MO if you're having chocolate pie with mile high meringue. thumbs_up.gif My favorite!!! I'm with jescapades--
anything chocolate will catch my attention! icon_lol.gif

Diane

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 6:33pm
post #28 of 29

Come on down LOL I love anything with "Mile High" in the name means more MORE MORE lol

Christi

Narie Posted 7 Apr 2007 , 7:41pm
post #29 of 29
Quote:
Quote:

why would that oleo need yellow color? just for asthetic purposes?

Yep! When you bought it, you knew it was oleo=white. But when you served it it was yellow and looked like the expensive stuff=butter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%