How Much Do You Think This Is Worth?

Baking By 2sdae Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 8:56pm by suzmazza

2sdae Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:12pm
post #1 of 33

I made these cookie baskets for my DD's teachers and our sunday school teachers at church. I have been asked to price them and make 25 of these for a local shop. I have no idea what to price these at though. They are nfsc with rolled buttercream and dragees in a wire basket adorned with "jewels" and individually wrapped. These cookies are 5 inches so they are pretty good size and there are 4 to a basket.
  http://www.cakecentral.com/cake-photo_369913.html
I had to send link as I could not post the pic on here. Thanks for any and all help. thumbs_up.gif

32 replies
2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:26pm
post #2 of 33

ANYONE? icon_cry.gif

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:33pm
post #3 of 33

It all depends upon what the market is like in your area. I would say about $30-$40 per basket. They look beautiful!

BarbaraK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BarbaraK Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:37pm
post #4 of 33

Your link did not work. I went into your photos to look and they are very, very pretty.

I believe the general rule is $1 per inch so for 4 x 5 inch cookies that is $20 for the cookies alone. The basket with the gumpaste flowers are very nice. Pricing them would depend on how long it took you to make them.

I am no expert, but I think maybe $40-$45 for the whole thing may be reasonable. Hopefully somebody who is more experienced can help you.

MikeRowesHunny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MikeRowesHunny Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:38pm
post #5 of 33

Wow - those are gorgeous, and your flowers are stunning. This is a hard one as I can see the amount of time and skill that went into those, so - cookies = $16 + packaging = $5 (or more if it cost you more!) + gorgeous gumpaste flowers = $15 (and to me that's an insult for such fabulous work) = $35 rounded. That really is the minimum I'd charge for these!

I think these are stunning - please get paid for such beautiful work - and I don't care where you live!!!

brcorlew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brcorlew Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:38pm
post #6 of 33

I'm not really sure. They are beautiful. I guess I would figure out what you have into making them and maybe double that? I don't kow. Think about what you would pay for it if you were going to buy them? I'm sure that doesn't help you, but I've never made cookie baskets before. How much would you charge for a single cookie? Multiply by 4 then add on some for the basket I guess. Good luck, they are very pretty! icon_smile.gif

LvMy4Runner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LvMy4Runner Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:40pm
post #7 of 33

Are you making the flowers that are attached to the basket as well? How much do the baskets cost you plus all the ingredients to actually make the cookies? Also what kind of shop will they be going in?

... but that looks like a $25 basket at least to me!! It's beautiful!

If you google "Cookie Bouquets" you'll see things like these aren't priced cheap. For Example: www.gourmet-cookie-bouquets.com

3 Cookies - $29.00
5 Cookies - $39.00
7 Cookies - $49.00
9 Cookies - $60.00
12 Cookies - $80.00

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:41pm
post #8 of 33

2sdae, your cookie baskets are very beautiful!! $45.00 to $55.00 and worth it. You have a good deal of work in each basket and I know the cost of most of your items. I too make cookie bouquets and no way would I come in less than the 45.00 for this one.

nicoles-a-tryin Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nicoles-a-tryin Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:43pm
post #9 of 33

OMG...Those are GOrgeous!!! I would definitely charge ALOT!
Everything is so pretty!! Probably do less flowers on top..I am sure those are expensive and make sure you charge for your basket etc.

Amazing job!!

p.s..I read some post saying an$1 a inch....So then, at least $20 in cookies...think you said 5 in each basket...and the flowers etc...I agree...at leaste $45-55 for sure...No less!!!!

2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:48pm
post #10 of 33

Thanks guys for the compliments. icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif
This is only my 2nd time making these flowers and 3rd with decorating cookies so I have never sold them. The shop they are going in is an up scale cake and coffee cafe in a ritzy shopping center area.
The basket is just a dollar tree find I happened across and lucky for me I bought about 35 of these all different thinking I could use them for cookies or cupcakes or whatever.

2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:52pm
post #11 of 33

Only 4 in a basket or they would get all squashed trying to put them in there.
I just spoke to the lady who owns the shop and she suggested 40.00 for them. And she said if they sell well she'd like to do more with me as far as birthdays and holidays. She gets asked if she makes cookies and she doesn't. My gosh, I thought I was just making a treat for my DD's teachers! icon_lol.gif

Teekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Teekakes Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:52pm
post #12 of 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sdae

Thanks guys for the compliments. icon_redface.gificon_biggrin.gif
This is only my 2nd time making these flowers and 3rd with decorating cookies so I have never sold them. The shop they are going in is an up scale cake and coffee cafe in a ritzy shopping center area.
The basket is just a dollar tree find I happened across and lucky for me I bought about 35 of these all different thinking I could use them for cookies or cupcakes or whatever.

45.00 each. You deserve to get fairly paid for that much work and they are beautiful baskets!

bethola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bethola Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:54pm
post #13 of 33

BEAUTIFUL!!! Looks like you have a "career in the making"!

Your KY Buddy Beth

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 12:58pm
post #14 of 33

I am just blown away, your work is beautiful. I would charge $40 bucks. I know it takes a lot of time to make flowers as beautiful as yours. Break it down as to how many hrs it takes to complete the flowers and cookies and put the basket together.

formerbuckeye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
formerbuckeye Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:07pm
post #15 of 33

I agree with everyone that your flowers are gorgeous and the cookies look very good. In Richmond, VA, I would charge around $40. Great work!

2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:08pm
post #16 of 33

Hi beth!!! I told the lady 45.00 and she immediately said O.K. when can I have them? icon_eek.gificon_confused.gif
UUUUM, I have enough cookies for about 10 baskets right now and flowers to too. So I guess I'll be putting them together today and dropping them off tonight! dunce.gif I'm dumb struck by her quick interest but stoked too! Thanks for all your help guys! GEEZ, I guess I ought to make my Kid's teachers something more often hu?! icon_lol.gif

sweetviolent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweetviolent Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:14pm
post #17 of 33

you should be selling the flowers !!! they are stunning

tiptop57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiptop57 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:20pm
post #18 of 33

Oh no, no, no you are too low......

I agree with Teekakes high end price of $55.00. The bouquet of flowers is $30.00 alone. "Think Cake Topper." Now go out and price them. And you will see that is very cheap.

Now charge accordingly for the cookies! $1.00 an inch!!! That is $5.00 X 4 for $20.00.

How much for the basket!!!!!! If you get it on sale - you might be able to get half off for a total of $5.00.

Now add this up - $55.00.

DO NOT UNDER SELL YOUR STUNNING BASKET OF COOKIES!!!!!!!!! PLEASE DO NOT GIVE AWAY YOUR TALENT!

Remember, you are making a custom creation and it is worth every single penny and charge what your time and talent is worth. Who else in your area is going to be making this? Nobody, so it will sell whether you are in an economically depressed, rural or highly populated metro area.

(Now if the owner thinks that would be difficult to sell, or if you are committed to the price you discussed drop one cookie from basket! And make sure you get a contract signed!)

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:49pm
post #19 of 33

How much is she selling them for? You are getting $40 and she is tacking on something to that cost in order to make a profit for herself? Just curious....

2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:10pm
post #20 of 33

She suggested 40.00 and I said 45.00. No she wants to put them in her store to sell but I get 100 0/0. She is a friend of mine, sorry I should have clarified that hu? icon_rolleyes.gif . She just wants to be able to tell her customers who have asked about her doing cookies, that she has someone who does for her and here they are, etc.
I am thinking 45.00 for this basket just because that sounds better than 50.00 to me but if these 10 go well and quick than I'll raise it to 55.00 after those 10.

tiptop57 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:32pm
post #21 of 33

Okay, I understand you got her up in price, but here is what I would do then, a little bit smaller bouquet, a four inch cookie and only three in the basket so you can go at the lower price with out giving away your talent and product. It will still be a lovely basket!!!!

And even if she is a friend, get a signed contract. "Look it how nasty some divorces can get.....at this point it is business and not friendship." Just a simple one-pager with terms on payment, removal because of shelf life etc.

Finally, if you are looking at a price sounding better, then you need to price it at $44.99. It's the 99 cent secret. icon_wink.gif

Oh and BTW, good going on getting the price up originally. And the basket is Stunning!!!!!

2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:43pm
post #22 of 33

The .99 thing is too funny icon_lol.gif , but true! icon_confused.gif That being said I just figured I 've got enough for 13 baskets with 3 cookies apiece for 45.00 The flowers are gonna be the same just for this time. Next time I am keeping them at 3 for 45.00 with just a little bit smaller spray of flowers and get a slightly larger basket I saw at dollar store and putting 5 in them with a same size flower spray as what I have on my baskets now for 64.99.
Thank you all for the really nice compliments.

tyty Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tyty Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:45pm
post #23 of 33

Great thinking, you go girl!

MichelleM77 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MichelleM77 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 3:30pm
post #24 of 33

Okay, thanks. I was just wondering if she was going to raise the price and then have a hard time selling them. Oh, is she buying them off of you or taking them on as consignment? It would be best, I think, if she bought them from you up front. That way you won't lose any money if they don't sell. If it's a friend, that might be difficult to do.

I'm very interested in this, obviously! icon_smile.gif

2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:37pm
post #25 of 33

Well I am just putting them in the store to sell at her request because she had lots of people ask if she did any cookies boxes for holidays as well as her cakes. So when she saw this basket and several others I had made for my kid's teachers she said to me "You have exactly what I have been looking for right there!" And hence the negotiations began. She feels by having these in her shop to offer then it makes her abilities to full fill more of her customers needs here would boost her business. And of course be profitable to me too. So that's why she said she didn't want any of the proceeds to them. So really if these 10 don't sell so well all I've lost is 1 batch of cookies and 1 batch rolled butter cream and handful of dragees. thumbs_up.gif
So I'll need to mark them to remember dates of when they were made and keep track of them in the store. But heck that's IF they sell like hotcakes.... icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_biggrin.gif

Also I am coming up with a sticker to place on them to identify I made them and what they are specifically.

ape Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ape Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:56pm
post #26 of 33

I would definitely make some w/o all the gumpaste too....may be more likely to sell them....just to give people an option.

BTW...your flowers so totally rock!!!

2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:11pm
post #27 of 33

I about simple little baskets maybe that even hold 1 cookie! Those might do good too. No gumpaste on those.

Shazzicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shazzicakes Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:19pm
post #28 of 33

Sorry to seem a bit dim, but could someone please tell me what nfsc stands for?

2sdae Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:35pm
post #29 of 33

no problem it's no fail sugar cookies.

tiptop57 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:37pm
post #30 of 33

Shazzicakes - No problem! It is No Fail Sugar Cookies....

http://www.cakecentral.com/cake_recipe-2055-0-No-Fail-Sugar-Cookies.html

There is a thread around here about acronyms. Does someone have that link handy?

BTW welcome to our obsession.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%