My Cookies Spread

Baking By Samsgranny Updated 7 May 2007 , 11:56am by jen1977

Samsgranny Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Samsgranny Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 10:23pm
post #1 of 17

Can you tell what I am ding wrong? Is is because I use butter instead of crisco? Should I freeze my dough after I have cut them? Please advise. Thanks for alll your help.

16 replies
Cake_Princess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cake_Princess Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 10:54pm
post #2 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samsgranny

Can you tell what I am ding wrong? Is is because I use butter instead of crisco? Should I freeze my dough after I have cut them? Please advise. Thanks for alll your help.

Yes, yes, and yes.

Butter has a lower melting point than crisco. So as a result it will cause the dough to spread much faster. Freezing the cut outs will slow down the spreading.

Forgot to add that you are not doing anything wrong.

slejdick Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
slejdick Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 11:10pm
post #3 of 17

What recipe did you use?

Some recipes are better than others for cut-out cookies, so it might simply be a matter of choosing a different recipe.

Laura.

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 11:17pm
post #4 of 17

If you want a truly non-spreadable then try using a shortbread. They don't have any baking powder or baking soda in them. Some gingerbreads don't either. You can find some recipes for the shorts. on the web with different flavorings.

rs3560 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rs3560 Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 11:25pm
post #5 of 17

The sugar cookies I use that are wonderful are called White Velvet Cutouts. You can roll them as thick or as thin as you want and they retain their shape. This is the only sugar cookie recipe I use and everyone loves it! The link to the recipe is: http://www.recipezaar.com/48000 I'm also attaching a picture of cookies that I've done using this recipe. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif
LL

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 1:54am
post #6 of 17

Rs, really nice cookies! That recipe sounds great, thanks. I'm not one for sugar cookies and based on the reviews, it should be a good substitute.

rs3560 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rs3560 Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 2:10am
post #7 of 17

I forgot to mention that they are not typical "sugar" cookies...they are soft, yet sturdy. The only thing I do different is I keep them in the oven until they get slightly, slightly brown around the edges.

By the way, the cookies as well as the dough freeze very well. You'll have to let me know if you try them and what you think. I can eat an entire batch without the frosting, that's how good they are! icon_biggrin.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 2:15am
post #8 of 17

Thanks for the tips! They sound good to me, with cream cheese in them. Some soft icing on top, where's the milk?! I will try these.

cupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupcakes Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 12:19pm
post #9 of 17

If your cookies spread a little and you want them to be exactly the shape of the cookie cutter because for instance, you are going to cut out fondant with the same cutter and you want a perfect fit, as soon as the cookies come out of the oven put the cookie cutter on top of each cookie and cut away the excess. You must do it as soon as it comes out of the oven .

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:22am
post #10 of 17

We use butter but we chill our NFSC dough before starting & make sure the pans are cool too. I think most recipes need to be chilled before rolling or baking.

MahalKita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MahalKita Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:24am
post #11 of 17

Wonderful cookies rs3560 icon_biggrin.gif

vitomiriam Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vitomiriam Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:29am
post #12 of 17

I cut my cookies and place the tray in the frig for about 5-10 minutes before placing in the oven. Ever since I've been doing this, I haven't had a problem with spredding.

LaSombra Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LaSombra Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:51am
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by rs3560

The sugar cookies I use that are wonderful are called White Velvet Cutouts. You can roll them as thick or as thin as you want and they retain their shape. This is the only sugar cookie recipe I use and everyone loves it! The link to the recipe is: http://www.recipezaar.com/48000 I'm also attaching a picture of cookies that I've done using this recipe. Good luck! icon_biggrin.gif

those cookies look tasty! Cream cheese in a sugar cookie, great idea! thumbs_up.gif

Thanks for the recipe link. I'll be putting those on my to-do listicon_smile.gif

eieio1234 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eieio1234 Posted 30 Apr 2007 , 5:19pm
post #14 of 17

I think cookie spreading can be something of a mystery. It'll spread depending on ingredients and dough temperature, also how old the dough is and if it's been frozen will affect batches if you don't do it all together. I always chill the dough, roll it, chill it, cut it, chill it, bake it. I'm forever swapping pans out of the freezer, but it's not so bad, because I just keep working in succession..... but anyway, the last huge batch I made two weeks ago, I did the same process the entire time, and one sheet of cookies spread. I have no idea why, it was chilled the same, but it spread. Doesn't make sense! It wasn't even the last pan so I could guess it was oven temperature, nope it was one in the middle of the day. Who knows!

Suebee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Suebee Posted 1 May 2007 , 1:46am
post #15 of 17

try to add alittle extra flour.

LovesPekes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LovesPekes Posted 6 May 2007 , 3:11pm
post #16 of 17

I am so glad I found this thread! I tried the NFSC recipe last night but they did not turn out....this was my first ever try at this. So now I have a batch in the cut and in the frig. I'm hoping this will solve my problem.

And I love all the info and tips. You guys are a wonderful group to share your experience and ideas.

Kim C

jen1977 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jen1977 Posted 7 May 2007 , 11:56am
post #17 of 17

I rotate my pans from the freezer, to the fridge wit hcookies on them. I also have a rotation between my fridge and garage freezer for the cutouts. If the pans and cokies are nice and cold, you shouldn't have any spreading!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%