Fruit Glaze Recipe...anyone??

Decorating By monnitas0808 Updated 4 Jul 2007 , 1:40am by jmt1714

monnitas0808 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
monnitas0808 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:22pm
post #1 of 16

Hello everyone!! I went to my local grocery in Texas and they have the most delicious cakes ever, they only have tasty ones though. They carry a variety of cakes with fruits on top, and I noticed the fruits have a type of glaze that makes them really shiny. Does anyone know what that is? It kind of looks clear and shiny like Piping Gel...(I seriously doubt they use that). I was wondering if some one has a recipe on how to glaze fruits. I have a recipe for strawberry glaze but thats only for strawberries being that it comes out red. Can anyone please share...please icon_biggrin.gif

15 replies
monnitas0808 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:37pm
post #2 of 16

pleeeeaase!! icon_redface.gif

lucygunner Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lucygunner Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 10:52pm
post #3 of 16

do you have the Cake Bible cookbook? There's a jewel glaze recipe that sounds like what you are after.

monnitas0808 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:53pm
post #4 of 16

NO I DONT icon_cry.gif does anyone have that recipe??

prterrell Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
prterrell Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:20am
post #5 of 16

You can purchase fruit glaze at www.countrykitchensa.com

monnitas0808 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:51am
post #6 of 16

Aw..chucks..I need it for tomorrow....man...

mcataylor Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mcataylor Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:08am
post #7 of 16

Here's a recipe I use for making fruit tarts. It should work for on top a cake.

Recipe:

1/2 cup (125 grams) apricot jam or preserves

1 tablespoon Grand Marnier or water (can also use other liqueurs)

Note: Grand Marnier is an orange liqueur

Heat the apricot jam or preserves and water (if using) in a small saucepan over medium heat until liquid (melted). Remove from heat and strain the jam through a fine strainer to remove any fruit lumps. (If using, add the liqueur at this point.) Let cool until it is only slightly warm and then glaze the fruit or tart crust, using a pastry brush. Note: only lightly coat the fruit or tart shell with the glaze so that it does not look jelly-like when dry.

Variation: If glazing strawberries, raspberries or any other red fruit you can make a red currant glaze. Gently whisk 1/2 cup (125 grams) of red currant jelly over medium heat until melted. Let cool slightly and then lightly glaze the fruit using a pastry brush.

This recipe makes enough to glaze the fruit on a 8 or 9 inch (20 to 23 cm) tart.

gateaux Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gateaux Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:20am
post #8 of 16

I have a recipe for A glaze I use to top off Fruit Pizza it's easy and you should have all the ingredients.

Corn Starch and Juice you like or that will match your cake. That is it.

Simply mix the liquid with Corn Starch per the Corn Stach Box instructions, if the tast is not sweet enough, add some Icing sugar, as it wont look too granular, you could probably add it before you start to warm up the juice. You can do it either in the microwave or on the stove.
If works great and my Aunt who took many a classes with many a chefs back in the day, makes it the same way.

Also I just remembered that the 2 french bakeries I used to go to, did the same recipe for topping their fruit tarts. It just complements the taste.
Just make sure you use a clear juice, like peach or apple or strain a pear juice.

Good Luck

subaru Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
subaru Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:29am
post #9 of 16

Here is the recipe I use:
2 Tbsp. corn starch
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup orange juice or
1/4 cup lemon juice
1/4 cup water
Mix together in a small saucepan. bring to a boil. Cook 1 minute.
Drizzel over fruit.

didi5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
didi5 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:37am
post #10 of 16

When I was in pastry school we used apricot jam that was heated and added a bit of water.

willman Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
willman Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:57am
post #11 of 16

you can also use apple jelly for a (mostly) clear glaze.....YUMM.

monnitas0808 Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 4:24pm
post #12 of 16

Aw you guys thanks a million!!!!! thumbs_up.gificon_lol.gif

p_hernandez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
p_hernandez Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 9:17pm
post #13 of 16

What I do is I buy a jar of apricot jam I pour it in a pan and let it boil until it looks like liquid then with a pastry brush, brush it over the fruit.

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:21am
post #14 of 16

I have a jar of peach preserves in the fridge. Can I just use that to make a glaze instead of buying apricot jam?

Tomoore Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tomoore Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:22am
post #15 of 16

I have a jar of peach preserves in the fridge. Can I just use that to make a glaze instead of buying apricot jam?

jmt1714 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jmt1714 Posted 4 Jul 2007 , 1:40am
post #16 of 16

I use the jam thing, but you also can use confectioners glaze

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%