Cake Dummy Alternatives???

Decorating By mariak Updated 6 Apr 2006 , 5:51pm by mamas510

mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:31pm
post #1 of 15

I would really like to practice my icing and decorating skills but don't want to make dozens of cakes. I don't have a cake store close to buy a couple of dummies and when I looked into ordering them from a place I heard about on this sight they stated that your order had to be a certain amount to ship. I don't want a lot of cake dummies taking up space just a couple to practice with. Is there something else I can use that is easy to find? Can you just use the upside down cake pans? I didn't know how well the icing would stick to them. Does anyone have a suggestion?

14 replies
fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:36pm
post #2 of 15

If you are talking about Dal Foam, you only to order $10 worth. Call them or email them and they will email back a few hours later or next day. Only thing I don't like is the dummies are a true 4 inches. I wish I could get a cake that high. So if you want them a little lower you must tell them when you order. Hope this helps.

tobycat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tobycat Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:37pm
post #3 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariak

I would really like to practice my icing and decorating skills but don't want to make dozens of cakes. I don't have a cake store close to buy a couple of dummies and when I looked into ordering them from a place I heard about on this sight they stated that your order had to be a certain amount to ship. I don't want a lot of cake dummies taking up space just a couple to practice with. Is there something else I can use that is easy to find? Can you just use the upside down cake pans? I didn't know how well the icing would stick to them. Does anyone have a suggestion?

I'm usisng styrofoam for fondant practice. I bought the pieces bigger than I needed and had my husband cut and glue them. (He ended up using "hard as nails" glue instead of the styrofoam glue because it didn't stick!)

I covered the finished pieces with Saran wrap so that it fit as tightly as possible (also used some tape.) This has worked out great because the fondant doens't stick to the fondant and I can reuse it to try, try again.

Sorry, but don't have a BC solution for you. Good luck! icon_smile.gif

mmdd Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mmdd Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:39pm
post #4 of 15

I was thinking that I heard somewhere that the dallas foam site didn't require a certain order amount when it came to ordering dummies. It's the cheapest place around, so just put your order in...if they won't process it, they'll let you know.

Helendelk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mariak Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 15

I did look into Dallas Foam and I thought they said I had to order 25 dollars worth. I will have to check again.

AuntAndrea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AuntAndrea Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 5:53pm
post #7 of 15

I'm on the Dallas Foam site right now, and it does say "Minimum Order $25.00 at the top of the "Cake Dummies" screen.

Their prices look good, but I don't need that many, either! icon_smile.gif

...Andrea

fearlessbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fearlessbaker Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:02pm
post #8 of 15

I know the site says the limit is $25. I am awaiting my order to arrive now. If you call them they will tell you on the dummies it is a $10 minimum. I bought a 6 and 9 inch dummy from my local shop and it cost ver $17. I got 14 dummies for that price .S& was about $10 to Los Angeles. They have a list of all the dummies on their site. For some reason the 4 inch didn't show. If you need that, just put it with a message and they will charge you and send it all. There you have it.

msmeg Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msmeg Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 6:54pm
post #9 of 15

I have not personally done this but it does make sence... My sister saw where you make rice krispy cookies in a well greased lined pan and use as a cake dummy she saw it on an actual cake

Cool idea for a kids party also

If you want a smooth surface frost with royal icing and let set before practicing with your fondant

BakerBea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakerBea Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 7:00pm
post #10 of 15

Ladies, I ordered from Dallas foam and the prices were great..but, they killed me on shipping. The shipping was almost as my order itself. In my case I probably could have gotten the dummies locallly for about the same once I paid the shipping fee

BuncoHappens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BuncoHappens Posted 1 Apr 2006 , 5:53am
post #11 of 15

I've used an upside down cake pan before. It works and it's cheap!!

Monica_ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Monica_ Posted 3 Apr 2006 , 11:19pm
post #12 of 15

Whoops. I didnt even read far enough down the thread to see the comments which followed and mentioned a 25 minimum. I actually went so far as to submit my order and only looked back at the thread when I realized it never actually said how much shipping would be! And it certainly didn't look like it objected to charging my card for having a $13 dollar order o.0.

I hope the shipping isn't outrageous. That's kind of not so cool not to indicate a guess at what it is. (I don't know if shipping is calculated as much by size as weight.)

cakesondemand Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesondemand Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:36am
post #13 of 15

I used upside down cake pans look at my photos the 2 tier white with red ribbon and strawberries are pans.

golfgirl1227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
golfgirl1227 Posted 4 Apr 2006 , 1:44am
post #14 of 15

Dallas Foam online does say $25 minimum order, but I have an email from them that says no minimum order. I have ordered less than $25 from them before as well.

I recommend them because of their price and they ship fairly quickly as well.

mamas510 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mamas510 Posted 6 Apr 2006 , 5:51pm
post #15 of 15

I am getting ready to order from Dallas Foam, but luckily I do not live too far from their office. My question is, does anyone get holes in the cake dummies?? if so, how many and how wide??

Thanks in advance!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%