Help, Please! Viva Method- Wrinkly Results.

Decorating By albumangel Updated 5 Apr 2007 , 11:41pm by sunflowerfreak

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 3:30pm
post #1 of 15

I've always used the Viva method to smooth my BC cakes, and it's always worked out well. I've even used the "Brite White Buttercream" recipe on this site before (uses "Sweetex" Hi Ratio Shortening). Today is my final Wilton 3 course, so I iced my 2 cakes, let them crust, and went to smooth them with the Viva towel, but now they have a "wrinkly" texture- very fine lines that all the smoothing in the world doesn't remove (see attached pic). Like the icing got too dry, maybe? When I've smoothed this way before, the buttercream still had a bit of a sheen to it- this just looks old & dried up. icon_cry.gif I know it won't be noticable once they are decorated, but it's disappointing.

Has this happenned to anyone before? Any tricks for trying to fix it? Any tips for avoiding it in the future?

Thanks!
LL

14 replies
MissyTex Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MissyTex Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 5:14pm
post #2 of 15

Maybe you need to rub harder. I don't really know. Did you use your hand or fondant smoother? I use them both, but do my final smoothing with my hand. Try going over it again with typing paper.

projectqueen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
projectqueen Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:39am
post #3 of 15

I don't know the answer, but it has happened to me, too.

Just gets kind of dried out looking (and feeling).

Sorry I can't help but just wanted to say you are not alone! icon_rolleyes.gif

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:46am
post #4 of 15

You already hit the nail on the head... your icing was too crusted. If you let it crust too long you will get a dry, old, cracked looked to the icing.

southrnhearts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
southrnhearts Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:49am
post #5 of 15

Yes I too have had this happen. I decided it was that my BC icing was a bit too thick/dry. So, what I came up with in my little mind without scrapping it all in the garbage lol... was that I just dipping my knife in ice water and went about the cake, re-icing it, so to speak. Technically I didnt
add any icing, but the little drops of water on the cake, spreading around into my already crusted wrinkly icing, kind of melded in and just did the trick. Sorry, I dont know how to explain it any better, but it worked!

After it sat a bit, recrusting... I did the VIVA method again and smoothed with my pampered chef roller and voila no wrinkles!

(yes a hassle, but much easier than scrapping all my work) icon_twisted.gif

nsouza Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nsouza Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 2:53am
post #6 of 15

you can get a spray bottle of water and turn the nozle to the fine mist then gently mist the cake. Let the cake sit for a second to absorb the moisture then run your spatula over it again reicing it. Let it crust then use the viva paper towel again. May be try that and let us know how it goes

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:01am
post #7 of 15

icon_sad.gif
I'd have to agree that the icing had crusted too long. I had this happen once and did the spray bottle trick and it worked great.

mom2spunkynbug Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2spunkynbug Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:11am
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjs4492

icon_sad.gif
I'd have to agree that the icing had crusted too long. I had this happen once and did the spray bottle trick and it worked great.

So how long should the icing crust for? The first time I tried smoothing this way - it came out looking like this. I was so disappointed! icon_cry.gif I haven't tried since!

mjs4492 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjs4492 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:14am
post #9 of 15

After I sprayed the cake, I really didn't let it sit for very long at all. Probably not even 5 minutes. I used the Viva method instead of a spatula though.

Melody25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melody25 Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:17am
post #10 of 15

I only let it crust for about 15 minutes..I believe that was the directions said and it worked well for me. I just had a cute little design on my cake from my paper towel....I didnt have any Viva

brcorlew Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
brcorlew Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 3:21am
post #11 of 15

I've had this happen multiple time with the Viva method. I have to say I haven't touch the papertowels since I learned the "Melvira Method", it really does work so much nicer and faster. I have to give her credit again! Give it a shot next time, you won't be sorry! Good Luck! thumbs_up.gif

albumangel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
albumangel Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 9:02pm
post #12 of 15

Thanks, everyone!! For some reason I wasn't getting notified of your replies, and thought I must be the only one. icon_redface.gificon_smile.gif

So, I realized that this icing just doesn't work well with the Viva method- maybe because it's all Hi-Ratio shortening and no butter. I tried to re-ice it, then one side came sliding off icon_surprised.gif (probably because I messed with it too much) and I had to scrape off a whole section and start over.

But, I went to the hardware store and came home with a high-density foam roller! WOW!! icon_eek.gif I'm hooked on the Melvira method!! When I took my cakes out at class, my Wilton instructor TOTALLY thought it was fondant- wouldn't believe it was buttercream. Here's the finished cake (in my photos, Wilton Course 3 cake).

http://www.cakecentral.com/modules.php?name=coppermine&file=displayimage&meta=allby&uname=albumangel&cat=0&pos=0

THANKS for all of your replies!

Melvira Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Melvira Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:06pm
post #13 of 15

Hehehehehe!! That doesn't hurt my feelings ONE BIT to hear that!! Great job knocking your teacher's socks off!! icon_biggrin.gif

shebaben Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shebaben Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:24pm
post #14 of 15

I'm so glad to have seen this post - my wrinkly cakes drive me crazy, too!!! I wish there were a formula to tell me how long to let it crust before Viva-ing it or Melvira-ing it icon_confused.gif I get roller marks when I try to do it that way; I wonder if the roller I bought was too cheap? I guess I just need LOTS more practice, but the advice from all of you is SOOOOOOOO welcome and helpful! icon_smile.gif Thanks - PAT

sunflowerfreak Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sunflowerfreak Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:41pm
post #15 of 15

Albumangel your cake is absolutely beautiful. You did a fantastic job!! I love the Melvira method too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%