Need Cake Fillings!

Baking By qtdbklyn Updated 31 Mar 2006 , 4:05pm by Beckalita

qtdbklyn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtdbklyn Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 9:44pm
post #1 of 15

I am new to cake decorating, just started the Wilton Course 1. My instructor told us to use an individual pudding cup as our cake filling. Can anyone share with me their recipe/ideas/or tips on other cake fillings.
Thanks

14 replies
jewels97 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jewels97 Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 10:01pm
post #2 of 15

I did one over the weekend that was an instant coconut pudding mix (4 serving size), 8oz Cool Whip and some crushed pineapple. It turned out good. I am going to do a cookies and cream tonight. Also, for a fast filling a canned pie filling works really well.

icedbycarrie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icedbycarrie Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 10:04pm
post #3 of 15

Welcome to cake decorating!! I have two favorite fillings, and both are easy - one does come from boxed vanilla pudding, but instead of making the standard pudding recipe, follow the instructions for cream pie filling. It's very similar, except that you add whipped cream to it - it makes it a little lighter and is very good over a layer of fresh strawberries in the middle of a cake.

My other favorite is a raspberry filling - I buy a small bag of frozen raspberries and put them in a saucepan on the stovetop and heat them until they break down, then add sugar until they're as sweet as I want them and some cornstarch to thicken them a bit. I never measure - just keep taste testing until you get it the way you want!

Happy decorating! icon_smile.gif

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 10:14pm
post #4 of 15

My favorite is a caramel filling. You mix one 8 oz package ofcream cheese and 1 cup of powdered sugar in the mixer really well. Then add one 6 oz jar of caramel ice cream topping. It is a bit thin, but you can put it in the refrigerator for a few hours and it gets really thick.

texascupcake09 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
texascupcake09 Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 10:15pm
post #5 of 15

My favorite filling includes buttercream icing with cherries and chopped pecans. Whip them all together! The taste is devine!

Pam227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pam227 Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 9:14pm
post #6 of 15

Misdawn, thank you for the caramel filling. DH loves caramel so I will be trying this.

MsTonyasCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsTonyasCakes Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 9:27pm
post #7 of 15

My favorite filling in either white or yellow cake is strawberries! There's a recipe on here for Strawberry cake filling. I usually buy the strawberry gel at the store in the produce section and add fresh, sliced strawberries. Really easy and super yummy!!

sandie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandie Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 9:45pm
post #8 of 15

one of my favorites is the base for lemon merigue pie, with a 1/2 cup of sour cream folded in.

Misdawn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Misdawn Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 10:29pm
post #9 of 15

You're very welcome Pam227!

qtdbklyn Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 3:06pm
post #10 of 15

Thank you for all of your cake filling suggestions, tips and recipes!! I cannot wait to try (and taste) them all! icon_biggrin.gif

Zamode Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Zamode Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 10:20pm
post #11 of 15

The Whimsical Bakehouse Oreo filling is very good.

ChrisJ Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChrisJ Posted 30 Mar 2006 , 10:25pm
post #12 of 15

I found this website today by ladycakes http://www.ladycakes.com/Recipes/Fillings/fillings.htm

qtdbklyn Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:17pm
post #13 of 15

HOW DO YOU MAKE THAT??..sounds yummy!!

MommyEdzards Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MommyEdzards Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 3:24pm
post #14 of 15

I love crushing oreos into my buttercream for a cookies n cream cake filling.
I like the Twinkie like filling on Lady cakes page for filling cupcakes or kids cakes.
Whipped chocolate ganache is yummy too......
I also like to mix jams into buttercream....
So many to choose from icon_biggrin.gif

Beckalita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Beckalita Posted 31 Mar 2006 , 4:05pm
post #15 of 15

My fave is seedless raspberry jam (Polaner All Fruit) either by itself or mixed into buttercream. Another good one is a regular-size box of pudding (any flavor) mixed with a pint of heavy whipping cream instead of milk.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%