Whipped Icing Recipe

Baking By smileyface Updated 29 Mar 2006 , 4:29pm by smileyface

smileyface Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
smileyface Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 8:51pm
post #1 of 39

Does anyone have a whipped icing recipe that would not require refrigeration and decorates well like a buttercream icing? I plan to do a bct for my design, might have to do royal as I don't know if whipped icing does well with the BCT method.

I have someone who wants ummmm....shhhhhhh icon_confused.gif Wal-Mart, Sam, or Food Lion whipped icing on their son's cake. I personally don't like whipped icing so I have never made any. But then again I have only tried bakery whipped icing so homemade might be good. I know I can't stand bakery buttercream icing now. Guess I am a cake snob since learning to make my own icing, LOL!!

THANKS!!

38 replies
cakesbgood Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbgood Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 9:02pm
post #2 of 39

Part One
1 lb. powdered sugar (sifted)
2 1/2 cups Crisco

Part Two
3/4 cup granulated sugar
1/2 tsp. salt
2 TBSP. Meringue powder (add 1 additional TBSP for slight crusting)
1/2 cup BOILING water (less 2 TBSP)
1 TBSP Vanilla (or flavor of your choice)

Part one... put crisco in bowl and gradually add powdered sugar. Beat about 5 minutes until mixture is very creamy and fluffy. Set this aside.

Part two... In a very clean bowl mix dry ingredients. Add BOILING water and immediately mix on high speed. Beat until stiff peaks form, about 8 minutes. When mixture begins to get stiff add flavoring.

NOW combine both mixtures and beat together for another 8 minutes. When finished, use a rubber spatula to down beat a little to remove some of the air bubbles. Frosting will be very light and creamy. Cover. DO NOT REFRIGERATE.
The frosting may be kept at room temperature for 3 months. Whip with a spoon each time you use it to restore fluffiness.

This one is from this website, in the recipe section under frostings. And it specifically say's not to refrigerate, that's why I used it lol!! I was looking for something different to do on cakes also, and I came across this one awhile back. This is the only kind my mother wants me to use on the cakes I do for her from now on. It's not nearly as sweet as the regular buttercream, kind of taste like the filling in the creme horns! But I only iced the cake with it and did borders, I didn't try doing any decorations with it because it seemed so creamy. It taste really good though! Hope it helps a little icon_biggrin.gif

cakesbgood Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 9:10pm
post #3 of 39

Here's a picture of the first cake I used this icing on, this one is iced with the whipped cream buttercream, but the roses and other stuff are done in regular buttercream.
LL

Fishercakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fishercakes Posted 27 Mar 2006 , 9:16pm
post #4 of 39

Very nice looking cake! I think that I may have to try this Whipped Cream Icing, it sounds yummy and no storing it in the fridge icon_lol.gificon_lol.gificon_lol.gif

Thanks!

cakesbgood Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 2:41am
post #5 of 39

I think you'll like it, especially if you'd like something that's not as sweet as buttercream. The only down side of it is it takes a little longer to make, so I don't make it as often lol. But it is worth it thumbs_up.gif ! It didn't crust over much though so beware lol!

tirby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tirby Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 3:45am
post #6 of 39

I use it on my wedding cakes. Here is a link. Same recipe but in a one bowl method. its chefleah's version. enjoy

http://members.nuvox.net/~zt.proicer/message/saved/RECIPES.htm#Chef

cakesbgood Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 3:07pm
post #7 of 39

Tirby, I think I like the sound of that version better! I'll try it that way next time, thanks thumbs_up.gif

cmarkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmarkins Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 3:27pm
post #8 of 39

A one bowl recipe does sound a lot quicker....do you think that adding an extra Tbsp of meringue powder would help it to crust a little more like the cc version of the recipe?

Christie

cakesbgood Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 6:46pm
post #9 of 39

We can always try it and see icon_smile.gif . But the CC recipe doesn't really crust over either, that's the one I've been using. It stays pretty creamy even with the merinque powder, I can't remember if I added the extra spoonful of it or not though to see if it would crust more icon_redface.gif lol

cakesbgood Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 6:47pm
post #10 of 39

We can always try it and see icon_smile.gif . But the CC recipe doesn't really crust over either, that's the one I've been using. It stays pretty creamy even with the merinque powder, I can't remember if I added the extra spoonful of it or not though to see if it would crust more icon_redface.gif lol

cmarkins Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cmarkins Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 6:53pm
post #11 of 39

I made a batch of the cc recipe w/ the extra tbsp of meringue powder last week. I haven't had time to do a cake w/ it yet. I will try it to see how much it actually crusts...if it has decent crusting, I will try the new recipe next time and see how that does w/ a little extra meringue powder.

I also want to eventually experiment with adding cocoa powder to make a chocolate whipped BC. I guess the cocoa powder could fit into step one. It might make the icing a little stiffer or I could sub a little of the ps w/ the cocoa.

I'll let you know how it all turns out.

Christie

cakesbgood Posted 28 Mar 2006 , 11:57pm
post #12 of 39

Yummy! Be sure to let us know icon_biggrin.gif

tirby Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 12:04am
post #13 of 39

Let me tell you with choco powder it is to die for. Add a fruit like raspberries. OH YUM! I have don a lot with it. Choco raspberry filling. Huskleberry. so good. on this is the details of how to add choco or peanutbutter or anything. IT really is very workable.

chefleahs recipe is a versoin I use but the origional one is on the site and she gives you all the info you need

cakesbgood Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 12:40am
post #14 of 39

Tirby, thanks for the intro to this website, I never knew about this one, it has some fantastic stuff on there!!

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 12:56am
post #15 of 39

The whipped frosting recipe cakesbgood posted works very well with roses. I think my roses come out better using this type of frosting. Here are two cakes I did with it.
LL
LL

smileyface Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 12:56am
post #16 of 39

Thanks for all the posts!! It is always nice to get recipes I know people have used and they work well!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tirby

I use it on my wedding cakes. Here is a link. Same recipe but in a one bowl method. its chefleah's version. enjoy

cakesbgood, thanks, your cake is really pretty especially those roses.

Tirby, is that recipe one that doesn't need to be refridgerated and can be used as a FBT or decorated with?

THANKS AGAIN for all the input everyone!

cakesbgood Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:29am
post #17 of 39

Your welcome smileyface icon_biggrin.gif !

Sue_dye, those DO look good!! I was afraid to use that for roses, I thought it would be to creamy and not hold up well enough. Thanks for the info!!

sue_dye Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sue_dye Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:36am
post #18 of 39

Thanks cakesbgood
This is good icing to use in hot weather too.

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:43am
post #19 of 39

Just made the recipie on for the first time - takes a bit longer, but so much better - not as sickly sweet! I highly recommend it

deb

chaptlps Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chaptlps Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:53am
post #20 of 39

I use that one exclusively now too don't like the ultra sweetness of bc but hey you do what you can with what you got!!!

Dordee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Dordee Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 2:58am
post #21 of 39

I have really been wanting to find an icing that isn't so sweet. So thanks so much for this one. I will definately try it. I had posted a question about icing last week and someone suggested whipped icing but I didn't know which one to try and if this one tastes anything like the filling in creme horns then it is definately going to be my favorite icon_biggrin.gif

smileyface Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 3:22pm
post #22 of 39

sue_dye, your roses are beautiful!! We posted at the exact same time, I missed your pictures. Glad I came back to my post. Neither one of these recipes need to be refridgerated right? Just want to be sure, I haven't every made this kind of icing before.

Thanks again!!

tirby Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 3:34pm
post #23 of 39

smileyface

No this does not need to be in the fridge.
Today I am mixing it with seedless raspberry jam to make filling.

tirby Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 3:35pm
post #24 of 39

smileyface

tirby Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 3:37pm
post #25 of 39

smileyface

tirby Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 3:40pm
post #26 of 39

sorry about the studdering icon_confused.gif It said DEBUG ERROR not sent. I guess it sent!

MomLittr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MomLittr Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 3:41pm
post #27 of 39

Just a thought here, can I mix some of this with lemon pudding (dry) to do a filling, or should I make the pudding and combine the two?

Deb

smileyface Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 3:45pm
post #28 of 39

Studdering, LOL, that's cute Tirby! Thanks for the reply (S)!! I think theres a pretty big bug in the system right now. I am having DTS!!!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 3:53pm
post #29 of 39

Sorry way off topic, just checking. Are Jackie and Heath aware of all of the systems problems? I gather they must be working on the system today. I tried sending them a Pm but I get error codes and the only place I can access any forums if from the home page by going into the posts there. If you click on Forums, it says there are none with this board. Just want to make sure that they are aware of this and someone has contacted them.
It is unusual for the site to be up when they are doing maintenance so I wanted to make sure.
Hugs Squirrelly

smileyface Posted 29 Mar 2006 , 3:56pm
post #30 of 39

Don't know Mary Lou, I hope they know aobut it. I haven't PMed them myself. I do know when I sent you the PM that you replied to that it showed an error code and you got it and I got yours so hopefully someone's PM will get through to them. It's weird, it also shows an error every time I reply to the posts I am watching but when I get back in, my reply is there. BUGS!!! icon_confused.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%