Would Love Your Opinion!!

Business By kcepenney Updated 6 Apr 2007 , 7:13pm by beccakelly

kcepenney Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kcepenney Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 9:02pm
post #1 of 25

Here is my new website for my cake business. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Anything I should add?? take off???
www.cakesbycasey.com

Also, how do you know how to price for your area?? There are places here that charge as much as $6/slice. I don't feel comfortable doing that....

Thanks in Advance

Casey

24 replies
Silver044 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Silver044 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 9:46pm
post #2 of 25

It looks good to me. Are you going to seperate your cakes Wedding-Birthday-other etc? It might be easier to pick out cakes. That is all I can think of.

indydebi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
indydebi Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 9:54pm
post #3 of 25

I would rethink your policy of "we do not have a book of cake pictures for you to look through...." While most people are computer savvy, I would not assume that everyone has access to your on-line photos. It doesn't take much to just print off a pic from your computer on a color printer. It is nice to have these handy in case the client forgets to bring in anything they may have printed and they are trying to describe ".... you know.... that one cake? with that one design? it looked like that one thing? You know....!"

sweeteecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sweeteecakes Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 10:01pm
post #4 of 25

It looks good to me, too.

peacockplace Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
peacockplace Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 11:58pm
post #5 of 25

It is a beautiful site, and very professional looking. Ijust have one problem with it. I don't like having to arrow over to see all the thumbnails. You don't know how many there are. I think people will loose interest and not look through them all. HTH

beccakelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
beccakelly Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:11am
post #6 of 25

great start to the website, but i think you need to do some more work on it. for one, definetly have separate photo sections "wedding cakes" "childrens birthday" "anniversary" etc. its a hassle to shuffle through all your photos to see the one type of cake im looking for.

next, if you're serious about this as a business, redo a lot of your photos. i would even pay a photographer or get a relative who knows about cameras to take your pics. look at the backgrounds, one has a child in it, another has childrens artwork, almost all look like they were taken in your kitchen. especially if you want to cater to high clientele one day (or right away). those are the little things that set you apart from hobby cake decorators. get some cloth drapes or a plain poster board for your backgrounds. spread out something under your cakes so you can't see the table.

also, don't feel compelled to put every cake up on your site. you have a lot of great cakes, but only include the ones for people to see that are really eye catching. what jumped out at me was the pic of the wilton course 2 basketweave cake. not a bad cake, but also not one that will step up your image. know what i mean?

i hope i don't sound harsh, your font type, and basic design look great. check out the pics and websites of those 6$ per serving places. base the style of your cakes and pics on those and you can feel good charging like they do. thumbs_up.gif

crislen Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
crislen Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:12am
post #7 of 25

Nice site! A few things stood out to me. One was mentioned above - the organization of the photos. Categories and seeing more thumbnails at once would be great. Another was the grammatical errors in the text. But that is just probably a pet peeve of mineicon_smile.gif

You're cakes are gorgeous btw and I love the testimonials page!!

TPDC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
TPDC Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:19am
post #8 of 25

It is a very pretty site, and I found it easy to navigate, except the home page (before you get to the written stuff). Maybe you could have on that page a spot regarding "Click here to enter Casey's Cakes"

Also, I agree with seperating your photos. Many people want search for wedding cakes, birthday cakes, etc. They don't want to have to thumb thru 15 cakes to get to 1 wedding cake. They won't. People leave a website within 10 seconds if they can't find what they want.

Agreed with the thumbnails. I would recommend having them....

patton78 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
patton78 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:34am
post #9 of 25

I agree with everything that beccakelly explained. I also think you should present yourself using "I" instead of referring to yourself in 3rd person. JMO.

kcepenney Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:42am
post #10 of 25

THanks you guys for all your input! I will definetly seperate the photos. And yes, I do agree with you on the backgrounds. The one with the child isn't one I took.
From now on I will use a black or white background.

My "grammer girl" has not read through this yet and some of the errors have been fixed but thanks!!

Regarding the picture book....I will have my laptop available at all meetings so that I can pull up the pictures if I need to.

Thanks for the input it was very helpful!!!

~Casey

klg1152 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
klg1152 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 12:54am
post #11 of 25

A picture of yourself in the section that talks about you would be a nice touch - something about being able to see a person makes it more personal.

kelleym Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kelleym Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:05am
post #12 of 25

I love the overall layout, it looks very classy. I agree with what beccakelly said about your photos, and I wanted to add that I saw an Elmo cake in there. Since he is a copyrighted character, if the wrong person saw you "advertising" that cake, you could potentially be liable for big penalties. It's a well-done cake, but if I were you I would take it off the web site. thumbs_up.gif

cakesbyjess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbyjess Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:16am
post #13 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kelleym

I love the overall layout, it looks very classy. I agree with what beccakelly said about your photos, and I wanted to add that I saw an Elmo cake in there. Since he is a copyrighted character, if the wrong person saw you "advertising" that cake, you could potentially be liable for big penalties. It's a well-done cake, but if I were you I would take it off the web site. thumbs_up.gif

I was going to say this exact same thing. You may want to remove the Raggedy Ann cake (which is sooooo cute), too, since that is also a copyrighted character. Even if you do make copyrighted character cakes, you probably don't want to advertise that on your website.

The website looks fantastic!! thumbs_up.gif

StephW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
StephW Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:18am
post #14 of 25

Overall I like the style of your website. I love the font choice for you logo.

I noticed several spelling mistakes on your home page (Comparibly, coporate, recieve). Also, supplying is a noun, not a verb. So you have a fragmented sentence.

You seem to mix third and first person quite a bit. Also, you capitalize words in the middle of sentences that are not proper nouns.

I know these are quite picky, and I am hardly a grammar expert. But it's the attention to the small details that make your site more professional.

mjulian Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mjulian Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:38am
post #15 of 25

Lookes pretty good, I especially love your font for the front page since it was the same font that I used on my old site.

I would take what beccakelly said and run with it. I design and program websites for a living and I agree with her completly. If you have any questions please IM me personally.

GREAT work thus far thumbs_up.gif

sandralita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandralita Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:40am
post #16 of 25

I agree with most of what has been said. I especially like the very first page. It's nice and classy. Do divide the cakes by category and think about including the ones that represent your best work. Keep up the good work!
Sandra

Paintedlady201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Paintedlady201 Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:47am
post #17 of 25

I love the look of the site. Very classy. The only thing I noticed that hasn't been mentioned yet, is your intro page. I personally don't like them. I think it's a pain having to click through the intro page to get to the real first page. I think the graphics are gorgeous, I just think you could skip that intro page and get right to it. Otherwise, I love it!

azterp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
azterp Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:58am
post #18 of 25

Just my first impression - the home page has a little too much info. Just a quick overview of what your offer and get some pictures of your cakes on that landing page. You can go into more detail about the businees and your backgroud on a second tier page.

JMO.

heavenscent Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heavenscent Posted 4 Apr 2007 , 1:58am
post #19 of 25

Looks great! How did you get it set up I am in the process of trying to get one started.
Thanks

kcepenney Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 12:07am
post #20 of 25

Thanks for all the comments!! I will definetly use them!!
My hubby set all of this up for me so I am not totally sure how he did it. If you want more specific instructions, PM your email address and I will try to help ya!

My mom is my proof-reader is she is out of town so I know there are grammar issues that need to be fixed. I did like the comment that I don't have to put all of the cakes I do on the site and I had no idea about the Elmo and Ragedy Ann....they will be coming off! No need to go to jail! LOL!!!

Thanks again. All your comments will make me more successful!!!

~Casey

qtcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
qtcakes Posted 5 Apr 2007 , 11:19am
post #21 of 25

i love the look of your font! i wasnt smart enough to figure out to click on the arrow to see more cakes. i would deff. seperate the types of cakes. i prefer it when all the cake photos pop up on a web page.

kcepenney Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 1:58pm
post #22 of 25

Ok, I have made several changes....

is this better?? www.cakesbycasey.com

beccakelly Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 2:55pm
post #23 of 25

much better arrangement of photos! i couldn't read the any of the writing though cause its such a light grey color. i tilted my screen so that i could even see there was writing there, but still couldn't read it. darken that and i think its great.

kcepenney Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 5:14pm
post #24 of 25

Really? I don't have any problems seeing the writing....that is weird. Ok, I will have hubby darken it!
Thanks for all your input!!

beccakelly Posted 6 Apr 2007 , 7:13pm
post #25 of 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by kcepenney

Really? I don't have any problems seeing the writing....that is weird. Ok, I will have hubby darken it!
Thanks for all your input!!

when i had trouble reading it i was using mozilla as my internet browser. i just opened you page in another browser (safari) and it was fine. so i don't know why exactly, but it is good to be aware of as some of your customers may use mozilla on their computers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%