Sifted Sugar.

Decorating By starkissdtears Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 8:27pm by angel_adams74

starkissdtears Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starkissdtears Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:50pm
post #1 of 6

I have been lurking around CC for about a month and I am about to make my first FBCT for my husband's birthday cake. I saw the recipes for the BC and was wondering if I had to sift the powdered sugar. What's the difference if I don't. I don't have a sifter right now.. is there anything else I could use to sift it?

Thanks

5 replies
Renaejrk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Renaejrk Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 7:53pm
post #2 of 6

When I was first making cakes, I didn't have a sifter. It was the best purchase I ever made! I got one at Wal-Mart for $1. It made a big difference in my BC.

I don't know if there's anything else you could use, but I'm sure you'll be getting more posts soon!

starkissdtears Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
starkissdtears Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 8:04pm
post #3 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renaejrk

When I was first making cakes, I didn't have a sifter. It was the best purchase I ever made! I got one at Wal-Mart for $1. It made a big difference in my BC.

I don't know if there's anything else you could use, but I'm sure you'll be getting more posts soon!

Oh I am going to get one, it's just that DH has the car seats in his car so I can't go and get one right now. lol I didn't want to have to wait til tomm to do my transfer, but if it makes a REALLY big difference then I guess I will just wait. icon_smile.gif

darlene_000 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
darlene_000 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 8:14pm
post #4 of 6

I never sift my PS.... now Im curious, does it really make a difference? My BC turns out smooth and delicious without sifting...

wgoat5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wgoat5 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 8:15pm
post #5 of 6

I sometimes use a fine strainer to sift my sugar or even a whisk...but I always do something...

angel_adams74 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
angel_adams74 Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 8:27pm
post #6 of 6

My cake instructor told us that she would be able to tell if we didn't sift our powdered sugar, but I didn't have a sifter either so I ignored her. The next class, my decorating tip kept clogging up and she busted me for not sifting. Now I always sift. It may not make a big difference if you are just icing the cake and not using any decorator tips. thumbs_up.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%