Rolling Out Cookie Dough

Baking By Cake_Princess Updated 3 Nov 2013 , 1:10pm by chocaholikk

Alliekat66 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alliekat66 Posted 26 Jun 2008 , 3:15pm
post #31 of 38

LOL! I am at work.....and I just blurted out laughing, this caught me so off guard while I was reading! icon_redface.gif The thing is I'm a very quiet person and the looks I just got.......the strutting with the dish towel is my fav! Thank you so much for making my thursday morning at work not so blah!!! thumbs_up.gif

chocaholikk Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocaholikk Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 10:51am
post #32 of 38

AHi everyone. I have a question...I made cookie dough yesterday and following the instructions on the recipie, I left it in the fridge overnight...now the dough is like a rock...im going to let it come to room temperature., but then do I chill it for half hour before rolling?! Or do I roll n cut and then chill?! So confuzzled...never made cookies before...thanks in advance

rica827 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rica827 Posted 11 Oct 2013 , 4:07pm
post #33 of 38

Is it sugar cookie dough?  If it is, cut off chunks with a sharp knife and roll it out in smaller batches. I actually leave mine in the refrigerator while I'm rolling out other sections. It helps the cookies keep their shape when you bake them and easier for cut outs.

chocaholikk Posted 12 Oct 2013 , 10:42am
post #34 of 38

AYes hun. Thank you

blissfullife3 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
blissfullife3 Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 1:47am
post #35 of 38

A

Original message sent by chocaholikk

Hi everyone. I have a question...I made cookie dough yesterday and following the instructions on the recipie, I left it in the fridge overnight...now the dough is like a rock...im going to let it come to room temperature., but then do I chill it for half hour before rolling?! Or do I roll n cut and then chill?! So confuzzled...never made cookies before...thanks in advance

I can't take the credit for this...but I learned the best thing to do is roll out your dough right after you make it!! I took about a handful of dough put it in between two sheets of parchment paper and rolled it to about a quarter inch thick and then put it in the fridge. I did this with the whole batch and by the time I was done rolling it all out the first sheet was ready to pull out cut and bake! Works perfect!

Custom Cookies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Custom Cookies Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 2:34am
post #36 of 38

I'm not sure whether this is an original idea, but I started doing it recently and I find it very useful. I roll my dough on one those silicone baking mats with a piece of plastic wrap on top, and freeze it for 10-15 minutes before cutting out the cookies.  The partially frozen dough gives a nice clean cut-out and holds its shape well.  I roll out a second sheet while the first is chilling, and just keep rotating them.

Since I don't use any flour, I can re-roll scraps many times without affecting the dough at all.  It is also easier to clean up since I don't have a layer of flour all over the entire kitchen!

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 3:00am
post #37 of 38

Quote:

Originally Posted by Custom Cookies 

Since I don't use any flour, I can re-roll scraps many times without affecting the dough at all.  It is also easier to clean up since I don't have a layer of flour all over the entire kitchen!

Custom Cookies:   you're a very smart cookie !! ;-D

Quote:

Originally Posted by chocaholikk 

Hi everyone. I have a question...I made cookie dough yesterday and following the instructions on the recipie, I left it in the fridge overnight...now the dough is like a rock...im going to let it come to room temperature., but then do I chill it for half hour before rolling?! Or do I roll n cut and then chill?! So confuzzled...never made cookies before...thanks in advance

chocaholikk:  you got some good answers already posted here. I had the same thing today.  I pulled the dough out of the freezer last night, put it in the fridge.  Today I put it on the counter for about 20 mins. while I pre-heated the oven and grabbed the pans, and then rolled it out.  Cut my cookies and straight into the oven.  The dough doesn't stay rock hard for long once you start rolling it.

However there are several methods that different bakers use.  Perhaps you could try several to find your favorite one.

Perfection Strips are nice.  I liked them so much that I got my DH to make longer ones out of wood. Very handy and even easier to use.

chocaholikk Posted 3 Nov 2013 , 1:10pm
post #38 of 38

AThank u so much everyone xx

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%