Need Advice For Cake Help!!!

Decorating By Jessicafulbright Updated 3 Apr 2007 , 4:27am by DecoratingDingbat

Jessicafulbright Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessicafulbright Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 1:42am
post #1 of 3

Okay so this weekend is my MIL birthday, easter day. Well I want to make her a arkansas razorback cake. Well my question is can I make and crumb coat the cake, freeze, carry it on a 5 hour trip to arkansas? Then refridgerate, then decorate the night before? Help, I want this to be a surprise.

2 replies
NewbeeBaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewbeeBaker Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 2:15am
post #2 of 3

I read it isn't a good idea to crumb coat when you are going to freeze it. Reason being is that when you wrap it in suran wrap, the wrap will pull off the crumb coat when you take it off. I would freeze the cakes without the crumb coat, then put it in a cooler with ice packs to keep it frozen. That way you can defrost it when you are ready to use it and no worries of it going stale. But that is what I would do. Hopefully someone else has ideas here for you! GL on your trip=) Jen

DecoratingDingbat Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DecoratingDingbat Posted 3 Apr 2007 , 4:27am
post #3 of 3

How are you planning on crumb coating? Buttercream or syrup? I have frozen some of my cakes torted and crumb coated with rum syrup - let cake stand for a little and allow the syrup to soak in - works okay for me. I don't think I would try it with a buttercream coat though, buttercream may seperate and 'sweat' when defrosting. I tried with IMBC once and it seperated leaving me with cute 'tears' running down the cake - I re-smoothed once it warmed a little, but it wasn't the same - no fluff.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%